Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help finding a video faster
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Help finding a video faster Post 303034630 by wisecracker on Wednesday 1st of May 2019 08:23:18 AM
Old 05-01-2019
As RudiC has pointed out some systems might not have the 'locate' tool and if it does the database needs to be created first.
OSX 10.14.3, default bash terminal...
Code:
Last login: Wed May  1 12:52:45 on ttys000
AMIGA:amiga~> locate -S

WARNING: The locate database (/var/db/locate.database) does not exist.
To create the database, run the following command:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locate.plist

Please be aware that the database can take some time to generate; once
the database has been created, this message will no longer appear.

AMIGA:amiga~> _

This User Gave Thanks to wisecracker For This Post:

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

needed help in finding a suitable video player!

Hi all, I had been using kde 3.5.8 for a while on solaris but the problem was that i was not able to use Gnome for some strange reasons... It constantly used to misbehave. (Whether it was cde-login or gdm) So i had to remove kde completely and now am left with no video or audio players . So i... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
11 Replies

2. Linux

USB video capture? composite, s-video, etc

does anybody have any experience with any of these composite video to usb devices on linux? usb video capture - Google Product Search would like to get one but a linux newbie and having trouble figuring out if any are ported... i've found lots of things that link to freedesktop.org DisplayLink... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danpaluska
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Video Cards :: Video Memory Intercept and Redirect

I need a broad spectrum understanding on this subject, and any help would be greatly appreciated. First of all, as I understand it... The way the video hardware works is the CPU sends information about input and possible changes to the display, the video card receives these changes, makes the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ciNG
2 Replies
ReportCrash(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    ReportCrash(8)

NAME
ReportCrash -- Generates crash reports SYNOPSIS
ReportCrash DESCRIPTION
ReportCrash analyzes crashing processes and saves a crash report to disk. A crash report contains information that can help a developer diagnose the cause of a crash. ReportCrash also records the identity of the crashing process and the location of the saved crash report in the system.log and the ASL log database. ReportCrash is invoked automatically by launchd when a crash is detected. For applications and other processes running in the per-user launchd context, ReportCrash runs as a LaunchAgent and saves crash reports in the user's ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ directory. For daemons, other processes running in the system launchd context and other privileged processes, ReportCrash runs as a LaunchDaemon and saves crash reports in the system's /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports directory where they are only readable by admin users. If there are too many crash reports saved for a particular process, older reports will automatically be removed in order to conserve disk space. launchtl can be used to disable and re-enable crash reporting. To disable crash reporting: launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.ReportCrash.plist sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.ReportCrash.Root.plist To re-enable crash reporting: launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.ReportCrash.plist sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.ReportCrash.Root.plist For application crashes (but not background process crashes) ReportCrash will display a dialog notifying the user that the application unex- pectedly quit and offering to reopen the application or send the report to Apple. For developers, the behavior of this dialog can be adjusted using /Developer/Applications/Utilities/CrashReporterPrefs.app which is installed as part of the developer tools. Crash reports which are sent to Apple are submitted anonymously by the SubmitDiagInfo process. The reports are used by Apple to improve its products. Users who need support should use http://www.apple.com/support or other authorized support channels. Developers who are ADC mem- bers should report bugs using http://bugreporter.apple.com in order to allow for two way communication between Apple and the bug reporter. More information about interpreting the contents of crash reports can be found in Technote 2123: http://developer.apple.com/tech- notes/tn2004/tn2123.html SEE ALSO
launchd(8), launchd.plist(8), launchctl(8), spindump(8), SubmitDiagInfo(8) Mac OS June 1, 2019 Mac OS