Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with making the output of a command a variable Post 303034614 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 1st of May 2019 12:45:06 AM
Old 05-01-2019
I am not a fan of zenity, but I don't think zenity or double-quotes are your problem here.

The $( in your bash script starts a command substitution. That command substitution tries to run the command named by the first argument in the command substitution (in this case, a command named by the double-quoted <space> character that you say is intended to give you a check box). I would expect that to give you an error something like:
Code:
bash:  : command not found

but you won't get that until you finish the command substitution. Your command substitution is looking for an unescaped closing parenthesis to finish it. Since you have a backslash character escaping the closing parenthesis in your command substitution, another closing parenthesis is needed to close the command substitution!

Why are you trying to use a command substitution here? What command are you trying to run in this command substitution?
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command output to a variable.

With cut -c 8-13 myfile, I am getting some numeric value. In my shell script I am trying to assign something like this, var=cut -c 8-13 myfile But at the time of execution I am getting -c is not found. If I dont assign, then script executes well. Can we not simply use the value from one... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect command output to variable

Hi, I am looking for a way to redirect the result from a command into a variable. This is the scenario. Using the find command I will be getting multiple records/lines back. Here is the command I am using: find /”path”/ -name nohup.out -print This now is giving me the paths and file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hugow
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

get characters from output of a command in a variable

Hi, i have two questions, I am new to programming 1. I have an output of a command and i want to get some specific part of it in a variable. i am trying sr=`some comand xyz| grep 'Last Changed Rev:' | cut -c19-` now variable sr gets a end of line character at end. output of the command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muaz
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning output of a command to variable

When I run time -p <command>, it outputs: real X.XX user X.XX sys X.XXwhere X.XX is seconds. How I can take just that first number output, the seconds of real time, and assign that to a variable? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeriryan87
9 Replies

5. Programming

Command output into a variable

Hi, with this command: cu -l /dev/ttyACM0 -s 9600 > name.txt I put the output of the port in a txt Is posible to do the same (or similar) in a var directly, inside a C program? cu -l /dev/ttyACM0 -s 9600 > variable ? I have trying this withs pipes, but i dont know how to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daaran
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put output of one command into a variable

Hi, Let say I have these 3 files (state, list and myscript). I want to be able get the sample output like below when I run myscript. Any one know how to fix the code? TIA. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > cat /home/state CA > cat /home/list CA 100 50 20 AUS 120 61 10 > cat myscript... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: joker_789us
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making script show command (e.g. copy) being executed and variable substitution?

When script is running you only see when some of the commands are not successfull. Is there a way to see which command are executed and to show the substitution of variables as every line is executed ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr0124
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to save an output of a command in a variable

Hi, in shell script, i have the command swstart -p which returns an output. i want to store the output of this command into a variable. how i can do that excerpt from the script #!/usr/bin/ksh # # # # Program: swstart -p # # Description: Starts the sentinels on Slave server ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ls output into a read command as a variable

I'm working on a short BASH script on my Ubuntu box that will run powerpoint scripts with MS Powerpoint Viewer 2007 via WINE. I can run the presentation when I run it manually but what i'd like to do is have the script look for the newest file then run it. #! /bin/sh # Start the newest... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the output of a ISQL command in a variable?

I am trying to run a query which returns a sum value(a number). I want to get it in a variable so that i can refer to that variable in different places. when i am running the following command variable=`isql -Uuser -Sserver -Ppassword 1> select sum(count(*)) from xyz..abc where clm_id... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet. -t, --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Output version information and exit. -h, --help Output help and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux September 2011 SCRIPT(1)