Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Search the symbol table of a child process Post 303034405 by Corona688 on Wednesday 24th of April 2019 06:31:11 PM
Old 04-24-2019
You can access raw memory contents that way, but /proc/ won't tell you a thing about the symbols in it, just what address space the process owns.

Shared libraries and symbol lookup have changed a lot in Linux due to 64-bit growing pains and modern security concerns; Linux mutates very fast. They've gone through several models. Best to use GDB.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

no symbol table

Hi@all, I try to compile c code on hpux 11.11 pa-risc 2 with gcc (32bit). I compile with the option -g, so that I get the symbol table, but it is not available. Does someone knows something on this? thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dom_Cyrus
2 Replies

2. Programming

how to view symbol table in unix

hi , How to view the contents of a "c" program symbol table information in unix. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saravanan_nitt
1 Replies

3. Linux

Reading ELF file Symbol table of C++ program

Folks, I have some program(Test.cpp) as follows, #include<iostream> class Abc { private: int _theVar; public : int printVar(); }; int Abc :: printVar() { _theVar=10; } main() { Abc _t; (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod_chitrali
0 Replies

4. Programming

Reading ELF file Symbol table of C++ program

Folks, I have some program(Test.cpp) as follows, #include<iostream> class Abc { private: int _theVar; public : int printVar(); }; int Abc :: printVar() { _theVar=10; } main() { Abc _t; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod_chitrali
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make the parent process to wait for the child process

Hi All, I have two ksh script. 1st script calls the 2nd script and the second script calls an 'C' program. I want 1st script to wait until the 'C' program completes. I cant able to get the process id for the 'C' program (child process) to make the 1st script to wait for the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sennidurai
7 Replies

6. Programming

Symbol table of a C program

Hi, is there any command to see symbol table info. will it show where its allocating memory for varibales golbals & locals and code.(i mean the segments). i read there is a section called read only data segment and this is where initialized data such as strings stores. i have wriiten the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[KSH/Bash] Starting a parent process from a child process?

Hey all, I need to launch a script from within 2 other scripts that can run independently of the two parent scripts... Im having a hard time doing this, if anyone knows how please let me know. More detail. ScriptA (bash), ScriptB (ksh), ScriptC (bash) ScriptA, launches ScriptB ScirptB,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to get child process for a process

!/bin/sh pid=$(ps -Aj | grep MSTRSvr | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}') sid=$(ps -Aj | grep MSTRSvr | grep -v grep | awk '{print $3}') ps -s "$sid" I am not able to get the desired output it says process list error if i use watch ps -s "$sid" it considers only the first session id (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: schippada
5 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

signal between parent process and child process

Hello, everyone. Here's a program: pid_t pid = fork(); if (0 == pid) // child process { execvp ...; } I send a signal (such as SIGINT) to the parent process, the child process receive the signal as well as the parent process. However I don't want to child process to receive the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackliang
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies
GET_KERNEL_SYMS(2)					     Linux Programmer's Manual						GET_KERNEL_SYMS(2)

NAME
get_kernel_syms - retrieve exported kernel and module symbols SYNOPSIS
#include <linux/module.h> int get_kernel_syms(struct kernel_sym *table); DESCRIPTION
Note: This system call is present only in kernels before Linux 2.6. If table is NULL, get_kernel_syms() returns the number of symbols available for query. Otherwise it fills in a table of structures: struct kernel_sym { unsigned long value; char name[60]; }; The symbols are interspersed with magic symbols of the form #module-name with the kernel having an empty name. The value associated with a symbol of this form is the address at which the module is loaded. The symbols exported from each module follow their magic module tag and the modules are returned in the reverse of the order in which they were loaded. RETURN VALUE
On success, returns the number of symbols copied to table. On error, -1 is returned and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
There is only one possible error return: ENOSYS get_kernel_syms() is not supported in this version of the kernel. VERSIONS
This system call is present on Linux only up until kernel 2.4; it was removed in Linux 2.6. CONFORMING TO
get_kernel_syms() is Linux-specific. BUGS
There is no way to indicate the size of the buffer allocated for table. If symbols have been added to the kernel since the program queried for the symbol table size, memory will be corrupted. The length of exported symbol names is limited to 59 characters. Because of these limitations, this system call is deprecated in favor of query_module(2) (which is itself nowadays deprecated in favor of other interfaces described on its manual page). SEE ALSO
create_module(2), delete_module(2), init_module(2), query_module(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-10-18 GET_KERNEL_SYMS(2)