Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Installation of virt-manager while yum update and yum install rhvm does not work Post 303034241 by Paras Pandey on Monday 22nd of April 2019 11:11:08 AM
Old 04-22-2019
Installation of virt-manager while yum update and yum install rhvm does not work

I have downloaded RHEV-H 4.2 Red Hat Virtualization - Red Hat Customer Portal (RHVirtualization 4.2 Host and Manager iso). I uploaded the image and installed on an HP G9 server baremetal.

I found I dont have a WAN/net connectivity later on HPG9 server. How can I still install virt-manager on that machine??

Is it like virt-manager has to be in the same machine HP G9 ?

Can virt-manager be installed in a VM guest in my desktop that can help manage the hypervisor installed in HP G9 server?

Or should I download some virt-manager 4.2 pkgs on my laptop, upload it to HP G9 server and then start virt-manager installation??

Please answer what should be the best and feasible approach...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

install yum

I have a centos 4.x box and for some reason yum is not installed on it. Is there a howto on how to do this? thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcraul
3 Replies

2. Red Hat

Yum Update

I am using Cent OS 5 i need to update proxy server address in yum, i don't know where to update and how exactly i need to specify the proxy address can anyone help me in the issue. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneel2k
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Yum installation problem from DVD !

Friends , I want to install package using yum from DVD in RHEL 5 . Hence I just follow the below rules : 1) # mount /dev/hdc /cdrom/ mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only 2) Edit the yum rhel-debuginfo.repo file like following way : # pwd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

createrepo...YUM installation

i have 5 cd's of RHEL 5. how do i know which cd is the createrepo package in... is there any command or flags you can add to rpm command to install and the install processes will automatically ask for certain # of cd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplinux
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Centos commands: Yum Upgrade versus Yum update

Hi, I would like to know the difference between YUM UPDATE and YUM UPGRADE. The man pages say upgrade is same as update with the obsolete option. And by default it says the obsolete option is turned on, which would make them equivalent. Does not say what obsolete does. Can someone please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

6. Linux

Yum update/install script

Any one know of a way to do a yum -install and draw the argument of what to install from a text file? I have a huge list of rpms that I have to install on a bunch of machines and I would like to run one script that goes to each machine and installs all rpms in the list I have. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rd42
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to install using YUM

Hi, working on CentOS 5.7 64 bit. I need to install syslog-ng. First I downloaded syslog-ng RPM. When I install I get many dependencies error messages. rpm -ivh syslog-ng-3.3.3-1.mga2.x86_64.rpm warning: syslog-ng-3.3.3-1.mga2.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA1 signature: NOKEY, key ID... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Yum update using expect

Hi, I have an expect script which connects to whatever Ip is passed to it. It performs a variety of tasks, all of which it completes fine except for the yum updates. For some reason it sends commands early, during the yum update. Any ideas? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meor
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Specify version in yum update

Hello All, I am trying to upgrade redhat from 5.6 to 5.8. When i use Code: yum update -y it installs 5.9 I dont want 5.9, instead i would like to upgrade to 5.8 is there anyway to specify a version when you are doing Code: yum update (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adam25ca
4 Replies

10. Fedora

Yum update error

Hello, I issued # yum update and received below error. Any idea? # yum update Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, universal-hooks Setting up Update Process Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile * cpanel-addons-production-feed: 204.10.37.146 * base: mirrors.oit.uci.edu * extras:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: feroccimx
3 Replies
VIRT-WHO(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       VIRT-WHO(8)

NAME
virt-who - Agent for reporting virtual guest IDs to Subscription Asset Manager. SYNOPSIS
virt-who [-d] [-i INTERVAL] [-b] [-o] [--sam|--satellite] [--libvirt|--vdsm|--esx|--rhevm|--hyperv] OPTIONS
-h, --help show this help message and exit -d, --debug Enable debugging output -b, --background Run in the background and monitor virtual guests -o, --one-shot Send the list of guest IDs and exit immediately -i INTERVAL, --interval=INTERVAL Acquire and send list of virtual guest each N seconds Virtualization backend Choose virtualization backend that should be used to gather host/guest associations --libvirt Use libvirt to list virtual guests [default] --vdsm Use vdsm to list virtual guests --esx Register ESX machines using vCenter --rhevm Register guests using RHEV-M --hyperv Register guests using Hyper-V Subscription manager Choose where the host/guest associations should be reported --sam Report host/guest associations to the Subscription Asset Manager [default] --satellite Report host/guest associations to the Satellite vCenter/ESX options Use this options with --esx --esx-owner=OWNER Organization who has purchased subscriptions of the products --esx-env=ENV Environment where the vCenter server belongs to --esx-server=SERVER URL of the vCenter server to connect to --esx-username=USERNAME Username for connecting to vCenter --esx-password=PASSWORD Password for connecting to vCenter RHEV-M options Use this options with --rhevm --rhevm-owner=OWNER Organization who has purchased subscriptions of the products --rhevm-env=ENV Environment where the RHEV-M belongs to --rhevm-server=SERVER URL of the RHEV-M server to connect to --rhevm-username=USERNAME Username for connecting to RHEV-M --rhevm-password=PASSWORD Password for connecting to RHEV-M Hyper-V options Use this options with --hyperv --hyperv-owner=OWNER Organization who has purchased subscriptions of the products --hyperv-env=ENV Environment where the Hyper-V belongs to --hyperv-server=SERVER URL of the Hyper-V server to connect to --hyperv-username=USERNAME Username for connecting to Hyper-V --hyperv-password=PASSWORD Password for connecting to Hyper-V Satellite options: Use this options with --satellite --satellite-server=SAT_SERVER Satellite server URL --satellite-username=SAT_USERNAME Username for connecting to Satellite server --satellite-password=SAT_PASSWORD Password for connecting to Satellite server ENVIRONMENT
virt-who also reads environmental variables. They have the same name as command line arguments but upper-cased, with underscore instead of dash and prefixed with VIRTWHO_ (e.g. VIRTWHO_ONE_SHOT). Empty variables are considered as disabled, non-empty as enabled USAGE
MODE virt-who has three modes how it can run: 1. one-shot mode # virt-who -o In this mode virt-who just sends list of guest UUIDs to the server and exits. 2. interval mode # virt-who This is default mode. virt-who will check and send list of guest UUIDs once per hour. This interval can be changed using "-i INTER- VAL" option where INTERVAL is number of seconds how often it should check and send the list. 3. background mode # virt-who -b This mode is similar to interval mode but it monitors events from libvirt and update list of guest UUIDs as soon as possible. It also does the interval check (interval can be altered by "-i INTERVAL" option). NOTE: virt-who don't print anything to terminal in this mode NOTE: monitoring for events requires libvirt backend, but this mode can be used with all backends. VIRTUALIZATION BACKEND virt-who can use couple of virtualization backends. 1. libvirt # virt-who # virt-who --libvirt Use libvirt as virtualization backend. This is default. NOTE: virt-who can monitor for events only in this mode. 2. vdsm # virt-who --vdsm Use vdsm as virtualization backend. 3. ESX # virt-who --esx --esx-owner=ESX_OWNER --esx-env=ESX_ENV --esx-server=ESX_SERVER --esx-username=ESX_USERNAME --esx-pass- word=ESX_PASSWORD Use ESX (vCenter) as virtualization backend and specify option required to connect to ESX server. 4. RHEV-M # virt-who --rhevm --rhevm-owner=RHEVM_OWNER --rhevm-env=RHEVM_ENV --rhevm-server=RHEVM_SERVER --rhevm-username=RHEVM_USERNAME --rhevm-password=RHEVM_PASSWORD Use RHEV-M as virtualization backend and specify option required to connect to RHEV-M server. 5. Hyper-V # virt-who --hyperv --hyperv-owner=HYPERV_OWNER --hyperv-env=HYPERV_ENV --hyperv-server=HYPERV_SERVER --hyperv-user- name=HYPERV_USERNAME --hyperv-password=HYPERV_PASSWORD Use Hyper-V as virtualization backend and specify option required to connect to Hyper-V server. SUBSCRIPTION MANAGER virt-who can report host/guest associations either to Subscription Asset Manager (SAM) or to Satellite. 1. Subscription Asset Manager # virt-who # virt-who --sam System must be registered using subscription-manager prior to using virt-who. Configuration for connecting to SAM is shared between subscription-manager and virt-who. This is default. 2. Satellite # virt-who --satellite --satellite-server=SAT_SERVER --satellite-username=SAT_USERNAME --satellite-password=SAT_PASSWORD This option can't be used for monitoring local guests, use rhn-virtualization-host instead. LOGGING
virt-who always writes error output to file /var/log/rhsm/rhsm.log. In all modes, excluding background ("-b"), it writes same output also to the standard error output. virt-who can be started with option "-d" in all modes and with all backends. This option will enable verbose output with more information. AUTHOR
Radek Novacek <rnovacek at redhat dot com> virt-who August 2013 VIRT-WHO(8)