Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Orphaned process "D" state
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Orphaned process "D" state Post 303034239 by Yoda on Monday 22nd of April 2019 10:54:04 AM
Old 04-22-2019
Here are the different process state codes and description:-

Code:
D    Uninterruptible sleep (usually IO)
R    Running or runnable (on run queue)
S    Interruptible sleep (waiting for an event to complete)
T    Stopped, either by a job control signal or because it is being traced.
W    paging (not valid since the 2.6.xx kernel)
X    dead (should never be seen)
Z    Defunct ("zombie") process, terminated but not reaped by its parent.

As you can see, D means uninterruptible sleep usually due to an IO.

You can check the wchan - name of the kernel function in which the process is sleeping to understand what exactly is going on:-
Code:
ps -eo pid,ppid,state,wchan=WIDE-WCHAN-COLUMN,comm,args | ( read -r; printf "  %s\n" "$REPLY"; grep <your process name/pid> )

Usually it will be a exit_mm() function to release all memory descriptors and related data structures.

As per linux kernel documentation, it first of all checks mm->core_waiters flag is set. If it does, then the process is dumping the contents of memory to a core file (IO). If that is the case, I believe to avoid corruption, it will not respond to a KILL signal until the core file dumping is completed.
These 4 Users Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Red Hat

"service" , "process" and " daemon" ?

Friends , Anybody plz tell me what is the basic difference between "service" , "process" and " daemon" ? Waiting for kind reply .. .. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Processes on FreeBSD are stuck in "pipewr" state

Hi Experts, I am executing "svn" checkout command through my java code on a freeBSD machine. SVN checkout gets started , but when I run "top" command on my freebsd machine, I have observed that "svn" processes are stuck in "pipewr" state. Any pointer for this problem? Thanks, akash (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: akash.mahakode
0 Replies

5. BSD

Process stuck in "pipewr" state

Hi Experts, I am executing "svn" checkout command through my java code on a freeBSD machine. SVN checkout gets started , but when I run "top" command on my freebsd machine, I have observed that "svn" processes are stuck in "pipewr" state. Any pointer for this problem? Thanks, akash (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: akash.mahakode
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to solve M5000 CPU "Deconfigured" state?

Hi Community, i have one M5000 spare machine which was handled by support team. they told me that it is gone completely . i have checked the status. before it was showing MBU_B degraded. i updated to latest firmware and , resetted the xscf and now this is showing as normal. MBU_B... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentech4u
5 Replies

8. Solaris

How to remove a LUN in "Online Busy" state?

Hi all, I have a LUN that is in "Online Busy" when I issue the dev_gestate subcommand of luxadm: root@es088wb6:~# luxadm -v -e dev_getstate /dev/rdsk/c21t50050763090887FEd4s2 phys path = "/devices/pci@6c0/pci@1/pci@0/pci@4/SUNW,qlc@0/fp@0,0/ssd@w50050763090887fe,4:c,raw" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ludiegu
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
sleep(9r)																 sleep(9r)

NAME
sleep - General: Puts a calling process to sleep SYNOPSIS
void sleep( caddr_t *channel, long pri ); ARGUMENTS
Specifies a unique address associated with the calling kernel thread to be put to sleep. Specifies whether the sleep request is interrupt- ible. Setting this argument to the PCATCH flag causes the process to sleep in an interruptible state (that is, the kernel thread can take asynchronous signals). Not setting the PCATCH flag causes the process to sleep in an uninterruptible state (that is, the kernel thread can- not take asynchronous signals). DESCRIPTION
The sleep routine puts a calling process to sleep on the address specified by the channel argument. Some common addresses are the lbolt argument, a buf structure, and a proc structure. This address should be unique to prevent unexpected wake/sleep cycles, which can occur if different processes are sleeping on the same address accidentally. If you set the PCATCH flag in the pri argument, the sleep routine puts signals on the queue and does not wake up the sleeping process. The sleep and wakeup routines block and then wake up a process. Generally, device drivers call these routines to wait for the transfer to complete an interrupt from the device. That is, the write routine of the device driver sleeps on the address of a known location, and the device's Interrupt Service Interface (ISI) wakes the process when the device interrupts. It is the responsibility of the wakened process to check if the condition for which it was sleeping has been removed. NOTES
The operating system provides two ways to put a process to sleep: interruptible and uninterruptible. The sleep routine performs an uninter- ruptible sleep operation if you do not set the PCATCH flag and an interruptible sleep operation if you set the PCATCH flag. This means that device drivers cannot call sleep at interrupt context because at interrupt context there is no calling process to be put to sleep. Thus, a device driver's Interrupt Service Interface (ISI) and those routines called from within the ISI must not call the sleep routine. On this operating system, you cannot use pri to set the scheduling priority of the calling process. RETURN VALUES
None FILES
SEE ALSO
Routines: wakeup(9r) sleep(9r)