Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Live Chat (Alpha) in UserCP SF 0.7517 Post 303034168 by Neo on Friday 19th of April 2019 11:13:32 PM
Old 04-20-2019
Update SF version: 0.7528
  • Removed annoying "join and leave" messages from chat window. I added this yesterday and it's simply too annoying. My bad.

Next, I think I need to spend time on the initial Vue.js bug which is causing the initial page render to be blank (requiring a reload) based on some incomplete PubNub AJAX calls (race conditions). This results in "undefined" Javascript errors I need to trap and deal with. These async AJAX timing and race conditions can be tricky to deal with (trap all possible errors) in all of these types of apps which make asynchronous REST calls to a remote API. I'm having some issues on initial page load where the REST'ful AJAX calls to the PubNub API are not returning fast enough and this is causing errors on initial page load and this is the reason why a page reload works (and is often required) after the initial loading.

This issue is really is nagging me and it impacts every possible variation of this publish-subscribe Javascript project moving forward. This is a Vue.js lifecycle problem and not a PubNum API problem. However, I have not completely switched out all the "OUTDATED" Vue.js wrapper code, so maybe if I get rid of it and just use the "unwrapped" SDK, I will get better results? Actually, I kinda doubt it because I have seen these kinds of AJAX race conditions many times over the years. This is the bane of using async remote calls. It's also an issue I have seen in game engine (the game loop) programming.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Live Chat For Solaris?

Does anyone know of any online live chat discussion groups for Solaris? If so, please let me know... Thanks! Rob Sandifer (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobSand
3 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

New UserCP Update Profile Image Page (UserCP Screeching Frog 0.7485)

Update! UserCP Screeching Frog 0.7485 Created a new page for uploaded a profile picture (profile pictures are different than avatar pictures). https://www.unix.com/usercp/#/settings/other https://www.unix.com/members/1-albums225-picture1158.png ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

A Quick Video Overview of PubNub Live Chat @UNIX.com (version 0.7614)

A number of people have asked me to make some videos, so I just got my first condenser microphone and so I can make some amateurish screen casts. I will try to do better in the future. A quick overview of PubNub Live Chat @unix.com The video is best is you set the Quality to HD 1080. The... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

PubNub Live Chat Beta Testing

Dear All, We are now beta testing our future "Live Chat" area using PubNub technology. https://community.unix.com/ This purpose of this testing is to test the core system, in general, and to see how many, if any, bugs crawl out of the woodwork. This "Live Chat" is not the... (48 Replies)
48 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Update: UserCP Screeching Frog 0.7641 - Changed Live Chat to Live Updates

Update: UserCP Screeching Frog 0.7641 - Changed Live Chat to Live Updates In this version of the UserCP, I have changed "Live Chat" to "Live Updates" by disabling the ability to post in the "live chat" area and changed the name to "Live Updates" The reason for this change is that experienced... (6 Replies)
6 Replies
Jifty::Web::PageRegion(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Jifty::Web::PageRegion(3pm)

NAME
Jifty::Web::PageRegion - Defines a page region DESCRIPTION
Describes a region of the page which contains a Mason fragment which can be updated via AJAX or via query parameters. new PARAMHASH Creates a new page region. The possible arguments in the "PARAMHASH" are: name The (unqualified) name of the region. This is used to generate a unique id -- it should consist of only letters and numbers. path The path to the fragment that this page region contains. Defaults to "/__jifty/empty", which, as its name implies, is empty. arguments (optional) (formerly 'defaults') Specifies an optional set of parameter defaults. These should all be simple scalars, as they might be passed across HTTP if AJAX is used. See Jifty::Web::Form::Element for a list of the supported parameters. force_arguments (optional) Specifies an optional set of parameter values. They will override anything sent by the user or set via AJAX. force_path (optional) A fixed path to the fragment that this page region contains. Overrides anything set by the user. parent (optional) The parent Jifty::Web::PageRegion that this region is enclosed in. region_wrapper (optional) A boolean; whether or not the region, when rendered, will include the HTML region preamble that makes Javascript aware of its presence. Defaults to true. lazy (optional) Delays the loading of the fragment until client render-time. Obviously, does not work with downlevel browsers which don't support javascript. loading_path (optional) The fragment to display while the client fetches the actual region. Make this lightweight, or you'll be losing most of the benefits of lazy loading! name [NAME] Gets or sets the name of the page region. qualified_name [NAME] Gets or sets the fully qualified name of the page region. This should be unique on a page. This is usually set by "enter", based on the page regions that this region is inside. See "qualified_region" in Jifty::Web. default_path [PATH] Gets or sets the default path of the fragment. This is overridden by "path". path [PATH] Gets or sets the path that the fragment actually contains. This overrides "default_path". default_argument NAME [VALUE] Gets or sets the default value of the "NAME" argument. This is used as a fallback, and also to allow generated links to minimize the amount of state they must transmit. argument NAME [VALUE] Gets or sets the actual run-time value of the page region. This usually comes from HTTP parameters. It overrides the "default_argument" of the same "NAME". arguments [HASHREF] Sets all arguments at once, or returns all arguments. The latter will also include all default arguments. enter Enters the region; this sets the qualified name based on "qualified_region" in Jifty::Web, and uses that to pull runtime values for the "path" and "argument"s from the "state_variables" in Jifty::Request before overriding them with the "force" versions. exit Exits the page region, if it is the most recent one. Normally, you won't need to call this by hand; however, if you are calling "enter" by hand, you will need to call the corresponding "exit". as_string Deals with the bulk of the effort to show a page region. Returns a string of the fragment and associated javascript (if any). render Calls "enter", outputs the results of "as_string", and then calls "exit". Returns an empty string. make_body Outputs the results of the region to the current buffer. render_as_subrequest get_element [RULES] Returns a CSS2 selector which selects only elements under this region which fit the "RULES". This method is used by AJAX code to specify where to add new regions. client_cacheable Returns the client cacheable state of the regions path. Returns false if the template has not been marked as client cacheable. Otherwise it returns the string "static" or "action" based on the cacheable attribute set on the template. client_cache_content Returns the template as JavaScript code. perl v5.14.2 2010-12-08 Jifty::Web::PageRegion(3pm)