Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Live Chat (Alpha) in UserCP SF 0.7517 Post 303034124 by Neo on Friday 19th of April 2019 01:57:32 AM
Old 04-19-2019
Live Chat (Alpha) in UserCP SF 0.7517

Interesting....

I am still working on the kinks for Live Chat here at unix.com using a publish-subscribe API from PubNub. Two days ago while working on it, a new user joined the live chat and asked about how to post a new thread in the forum. Then today, one of the members of the PubNub team found our Live Chat link (a surprise to me) and updated the status of a support ticket we have open with them:

The system is starting to work; however, there are things to do:
  • Debug why the live chat page often needs a reload to render in the browser.
  • Debug why the vue.js PubNub API is buggy and presence works but intermediately.
  • Add "who is in live chat" and other features as I debug.

Basically, it works but not as it should to be very usable.

I think the way ahead is to comment out the vue-pubnub API and use the standard PubNub SDK. The only way I was able to get chat history to work was to bypass the PubNub vue.js API and use the plain Javascript SDK API.

Thanks to PubNub for their support. Working with their tech support team has been helpful, for sure. Also, their team has been following up and has taken a interest in our project, which is nice of them.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Live Chat For Solaris?

Does anyone know of any online live chat discussion groups for Solaris? If so, please let me know... Thanks! Rob Sandifer (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobSand
3 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

New UserCP Update Profile Image Page (UserCP Screeching Frog 0.7485)

Update! UserCP Screeching Frog 0.7485 Created a new page for uploaded a profile picture (profile pictures are different than avatar pictures). https://www.unix.com/usercp/#/settings/other https://www.unix.com/members/1-albums225-picture1158.png ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

A Quick Video Overview of PubNub Live Chat @UNIX.com (version 0.7614)

A number of people have asked me to make some videos, so I just got my first condenser microphone and so I can make some amateurish screen casts. I will try to do better in the future. A quick overview of PubNub Live Chat @unix.com The video is best is you set the Quality to HD 1080. The... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

PubNub Live Chat Beta Testing

Dear All, We are now beta testing our future "Live Chat" area using PubNub technology. https://community.unix.com/ This purpose of this testing is to test the core system, in general, and to see how many, if any, bugs crawl out of the woodwork. This "Live Chat" is not the... (48 Replies)
48 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Update: UserCP Screeching Frog 0.7641 - Changed Live Chat to Live Updates

Update: UserCP Screeching Frog 0.7641 - Changed Live Chat to Live Updates In this version of the UserCP, I have changed "Live Chat" to "Live Updates" by disabling the ability to post in the "live chat" area and changed the name to "Live Updates" The reason for this change is that experienced... (6 Replies)
6 Replies
Net::Hotline::PrivateChat(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    Net::Hotline::PrivateChat(3pm)

NAME
Net::Hotline::PrivateChat - Private chat object used internally by Net::Hotline::Client SYNOPSIS
use Net::Hotline::PrivateChat; $pchat = new Net::Hotline::PrivateChat; $pchat->subject("Issue 1: Monkey beards"); $pchat->reference(0x313337); ... DESCRIPTION
Net::Hotline::PrivateChat is a simple class for storing and retrieving private chat information, You should never have to create your own Net::Hotline::PrivateChat objects when using Net::Hotline::Client. Getting and (to a lesser extent) setting attributes is all that should be necessary. CONSTRUCTION
new REF, USERLIST, SUBJECT Creates a new Net::Hotline::PrivateChat object with the reference REF, userlist USERLIST, and subject SUBJECT, where REF is a number, USERLIST is a reference to a hash of Net::Hotline::User objects keyed by socket number, and SUBJECT is a string. Any missing arguments will be set to undef. METHODS
All the Net::Hotline::PrivateChat methods are simple attribute get/set routines. If given an argument, they set an attribute. In all cases, they return the current value of the attribute. reference NUM The private chat reference number. subject TEXT The subject of the private chat. userlist HASHREF The list of users in the private chat. AUTHOR
John C. Siracusa (siracusa@mindspring.com) COPYRIGHT
Copyright(c) 1999 by John Siracusa. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2002-11-27 Net::Hotline::PrivateChat(3pm)