Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Google Trends: UNIX
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Google Trends: UNIX Post 303034109 by wisecracker on Thursday 18th of April 2019 08:42:47 AM
Old 04-18-2019
Hi guys...
As far as science goes......

......Gladly ET is not life threatening and not related to killer diseases like Parkinson's or Alzheimer's; it is disabling but in my case limited.
However it is a real PITA when attempting to do relatively delicate work and sometimes eating and AFAIK it is my only ailment.
I am still fit and rarely suffer any other illness even down to the common cold.
As I said before it is embarrassing rather than totally disabling for me because I have to ask assistance for very delicate work to be done.
Essential tremor - Wikipedia
And Neo, I am not disabled in any way just this detail that annoys me...

Anyhow I digress,

I still think Python has lost the plot for the newbie, BUT, I love its forced indenting and I love seeing you guys write stuff that is noise as a one liner but easily understandable when rewritten indented.

I love Yoda's AWK style, which most of you do but to me his subtleties are so easy to read.

I actually like assembly code, and mainly written for 6502, x86(16 and 32 bit, no experience with 64 bit), Z80, 68K and some risc MPUs.
But then I love "banging the metal" to see what I can create, sadly however MMUs have made HW register(s) control and DMA difficult to impossible.

Branching Off Topic I have 2 x Raspberry Pis and 2 x Arduinos and have done little or nothing with them as they bore me silly.
Yes, they are good learning "black boxes" for kids but I don't need to learn about electronics and I/O.
AudioScope.sh has the ability coded in to use one of the Arduino's for DC input measurements, BUT, it needs USB and my main aim was to use the Mic and Ear sockets only and get AC AND DC in that way. The electronics is childishly easy but the I/O method added a deliberate extra obstacle.
Perhaps a Raspberry Pi could have a Forum which could be not only Q and A but projects for all too...
Linux Format, my regular magazine has a spot dedicated to it and highly successful it is too.

I have hogged this too much...

Bazza.
This User Gave Thanks to wisecracker For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Web Development

Helpful Tip: Forcing Google to www.google.com

Helpful Tip! Sometimes when we are in another country, Google redirects our request for www.google.com to: www.google.co.in or to: www.google.co.th If you want to force Google to go to the US site, use: www.google.com/webhp (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Google Chrome is blocking access to UNIX.com

For some reason Google Chrome sees unix.com as dangerous and has start to block it. I need to select advanced and continue on own risk. Can you make an effort to remove unix.com form the list of dangerous site from Google. IE has not this problem. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
5 Replies

3. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Google reporting UNIX.com as harmful site

Google is reporting unix.com as harmful site. For example, if one types site:unix.com php into the Google search box, Google says Migration of website... PHP/Mysql -which path for DB.php - The ... This site may harm your computer. 7 posts - 3 authors - May 28 Hi, I have two websites:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unregistered
6 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Any Google SEO Expert to Help UNIX.COM?

I checked (again) and it seems like we lost 70% of our Google indexed links starting in March 2018. So far, I do not know what caused this drop: https://www.unix.com/members/1-albums215-picture904.png As mentioned, I have done a lot of checking, and we did not make any changes in March of... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

5. Web Development

Google Trends: react.js angular.js vue.js

While I'm on the subject of Google trends, here is a global trend since 2004 comparing react.js, angular.js, vue.js It's no secret I'm a vue.js fan and coder, but not because of the trend line (which I just saw for the first time a few minutes ago) My experience is that vue.js, a late arrival... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX.com is getting crushed in google search these days

For over a decade, unix.com has been in the top tier for search referrals. The keyword "unix" used to rank #4, and when it was down, it was #9. At times, we were close to #2 on Google for the "unix" keyword. Now, in some geos (in the US for example yesterday), in Google search the "unix"... (28 Replies)
28 Replies
passage(6)							       Games								passage(6)

NAME
passage - a game about the passage through life SYNOPSIS
passage DESCRIPTION
Passage is a video game written by Jason Rohrer about navigating the maze that is life and the obstacles, rewards, disappointments, chal- lenges, relationships and the inevitable departure that is part of the adventure of life. Passage is an art game. As a result, some people love it and some people hate it. Check out the links to places it has been discussed on the website for some of the reactions. The mechanics of the game are fairly simple. Your "score" is related to two things; exploration and treasure. Treasure pieces are repre- sented by blue stars that you find in the treasure chests scattered about the maze of life's challenges. Some chests will be empty, so you must learn which sequence of gems on the front of the chests means treasure is inside. You have the option to team up with a spouse. If you do, exploring life will be more rewarding but some treasure will no longer be reachable. As in life, your spouse will die and that death will slow you down. In the end, you will die alone after your 5 minutes is up. The most interesting part about this game is the emotions it evokes within the player of the game. The ultra-low-res pixel art helps here, by not being too distracting and by leaving plenty room for viewer interpretation. The followup to Passage is Gravitation, another art game by Jason Rohrer. USAGE
Passage has no command-line options. The arrow keys move the player around. The Esc key is used to quit the game. The game resolution and use of fullscreen or a window can be set by editing the files in /etc/passage. SEE ALSO
The website and discussion: http://hcsoftware.sourceforge.net/passage/ The game creators statement: http://hcsoftware.sourceforge.net/passage/statement.html March 2008 passage(6)