Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Where can I find the program that runs the -wc command? Post 303034068 by Neo on Wednesday 17th of April 2019 12:56:49 PM
Old 04-17-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuits
Ah I see so where might I go to look at the code itself, any idea? Would it even be possible?
You mean the code for wc ?

The start to the answer for that question depends on the operation system you are using / interested in.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

why does my program runs in conflicting mode?

my pragram runs with 3 threads, 2 work threads, one main thread. the 2 work threads run with the same mode and the same code. but now, one of the work thread can't work, and it uses the cpu more than 80%, sometimes uses 100% cpu resource. the another work thread work well. when I viewed the HP... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: happylife365
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a program runs on unix

Hi guys, I had a question last week where I asked how I check from a website hosted on windows if a process is running on on of our unix servers. Vino and Shell Life kindly replied with a perl script: if qm') -gt 0 ] ; then echo "Site is up" else echo "Site is down." # start the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drchris
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Minutes a program runs.

I have a ksh script that executes a program with a predetermined timeout in minutes. If the program takes longer then the timeout then it still completes with a return code of 0. :confused: I would like to determine how long the program ran. Then if it takes longer than the timeout I would... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2dumb
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

command runs, no output

I have a script that searches for specific information from log files. #!/bin/sh sed -n '/*C/,/END/p' /sn/log/OMlog* > crit.out sed -n '/REPT INITIALIZATION/,/err:/p' /sn/log/OMlog* > switchcc.out ./start.awk /sn/log/OMlog* > ARs.out ./end.awk /sn/log/OMlog* > ARe.out cat crit.out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grinds
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How long screen command runs?

Does screen command run forever? Suppose I have following command inserted at my putty shell followed by screen # screen # export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_21 # export ANT_HOME=/usr/ant # export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin:$ANT_HOME/bin # export... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninadgac
0 Replies

6. Programming

getting Segmentation Fault (core dumped) error but Program runs fine.

i am executing following program int main() { char str; FILE * fp; int i=0; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhavesh.sapra
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab runs only one line in iterated program

I have a crontab as below: PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/bin/:..... etc etc 0 8 * * * /home/user/jobs/poll.sh 2>/dev/null 1>/dev/null Now the script poll.sh is called at correct time and executes. This is how poll.sh looks like #!/bin/bash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chakrapani
2 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

create a program that runs two processes linked oven

I need help program in C... :create a program that runs two processes linked oven (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gizmo16
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return a message after command runs?

I have a script like this: echo "enter filername in lowercase" read -e filername exec 2>&1 echo "type the start date in format MM/DD/YYYY" read -e startdate exec 2>&1 echo "enter the end date in format MM/DD/YYYY" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
2 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -e Directly execute the given command, without forking. This option is meant for use in /etc/inittab. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)