Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to store the passwords securely and use in scripts? Post 303034026 by karumudi7 on Tuesday 16th of April 2019 10:56:20 PM
Old 04-16-2019
Yes, I understand and I use SSH keys for password-less connections.
But it is more like when you are interacting with other services like database etc.
This User Gave Thanks to karumudi7 For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass passwords to bash scripts?

I'm finding the following command very tedious to type in all the time, so I created a one line bash script called mount.bash with the following contents: mount -t cifs //mark/C\$ -o unc=//mark\\C$,ip=10.1.1.33,user=Administrator,password=$1 /mnt/mark I don't like the fact that I have to put... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking passwords - scripts

Hi Unix experts.... I am in the process checking user and root password of more than 1000 servers manulay. I am very pissed of checking these many servers manualy. Could some one of you help me how can i check the passwords just by runing some scripts..! Need Help Guys..! :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
5 Replies

3. Solaris

installing solaris securely

Ok, I am trying to install solaris, but I would like as a lean installation as possible (while still having a shread of functionality). If I chose the minimal install I have little if no utilities to do work on the box. My question is what installation method do most admins take? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: liven
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle Passwords in Unix scripts

Hi Most of the shell scripts I am dealing with have to connect to oracle database . The username password is stored in a environment file which sets the variables for username and password . Set user id do not work on AIX so users who will execute these scripts need to have read or execute... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: clifford
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH - Passing Unix login passwords through shell scripts

Hi All , I need to call a script runscript_B.sh on server A, the runscript_B.sh script locating in server B. The runscript_B.sh in calls another script runscript_A on server A itself. it seend, i need to be connect from Server A to Server B using ssh. I have tryed like this in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When did UNIX start using encrypted passwords, and not displaying passwords when you type them in?

I've been using various versions of UNIX and Linux since 1993, and I've never run across one that showed your password as you type it in when you log in, or one that stored passwords in plain text rather than encrypted. I'm writing a script for work for a security audit, and two of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
5 Replies

7. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Store passwords , accounts, IPs, hostnames

Hi, this question is not specially unix related, but I expect advanced and expert unix users to have a solution for this, and I've found no other subforum that fits ;) what do you use to store accounts, customer ids, ip addresses, users and specially passwords, to access them from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
6 Replies
SSLH(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						  SSLH(1p)

NAME
sslh - Switch incoming connection between SSH and SSL/HTTPS servers SYNOPSIS
sslh [ -v ] [ -p [host:]port ] [ -t timeout ] [ --ssh [host:]port ] [ --ssl [host:]port ] DESCRIPTION
sslh is a simple script that lets you switch an incoming connection on a single port between distinct SSH and SSL/HTTPS servers. sslh listens for connections on a port and is able to redirect them either to an HTTPS web server or a SSH server. This lets one setup both a HTTPS web server and a SSH server and access them through the same host+port. OPTIONS
The program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes. -p, --port [host:]port The port the proxy will listen to. If no port is given, 443 is used by default. If no host is given, "localhost" is used by default. -s, --ssh [host:]port The SSH server which the SSH connections must be forwarded to. If omitted, the default is localhost:22. -l, --ssl, --https [host:]port The HTTPS server which the HTTPS connections must be forwarded to. If omitted, the default is localhost:443. -t, --timeout delay Timeout in seconds before a silent incoming connection is considered as a SSH connection. The number can be fractional. The default is 2seconds. -v, --verbose Verbose output. This option can be used several times for more verbose output. EXAMPLE OF USE
Is this tool actually useful? Yes. For example one can use it to access both a SSH server and a secure web server via a corporate proxy that only accepts to relay connections to port 443. Creating a tunnel that passes SSH connection through a CONNECT-enabled web proxy is easy with connect-tunnel (also included in the "Net::Proxy" distribution). The proxy will let both SSH and HTTPS connections out (since they all point to port 443), and the home server will connect those incoming connections to the appropriate server. This only requires to run the HTTPS server on a non standard port (not 443). TECHNICAL NOTE
How can this proxy find out what kind of protocol is using a TCP connection to port 443, without being connected (yet) to the server? We actually rely on a slight difference between the SSL and SSH protocols (found thanks to ethereal): SSH Once the TCP connection is established, the server speaks first, presenting itself by saying something like: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 Debian 1:3.6.1p2-1 SSL With SSL, it's always the client that speaks first. This means that sslh can be used with any pair of protocols/services that share this property (the client speaks first for one and the server speaks first for the other). AUTHORS
Original idea and C version Frederic Ple "<sslh@wattoo.org>". Perl versions Philippe 'BooK' Bruhat "<book@cpan.org>". SCRIPT HISTORY
Version 0.01 of the script was a quick hack designed in 2003 as a proof of concept. Version 0.02 (and higher) are based on "Net::Proxy", and included with the "Net::Proxy" distribution. Version 0.02 didn't work, though. Version 0.03 correctly initialised the "in" connector. Version 0.04 lets the proxy listen on any address (instead of "localhost", which is still the default). Thanks to Dieter Voegtli for spotting this. SEE ALSO
Net::Proxy, Net::Proxy::Connector::dual. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2003-2006, Philippe Bruhat. All rights reserved. LICENSE
This module is free software; you can redistribute it or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2009-10-18 SSLH(1p)