Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) 12-Core MacPro (2013) kernel_task over 1200% Post 303033966 by wisecracker on Monday 15th of April 2019 11:18:27 AM
Old 04-15-2019
Hi Neo...

In my experience 15 seconds seems short. Try a few, (say 10), minutes to let all charged capacitor passives return to zero or near zero...

Bazza.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I use a general printer(HP LaserJet 1200) on solaris?

can it be used? how to config it? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cloudsmell
4 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

kernel_task help

I installed 10.5 (Leopard) on my G4 733 Mhz (after minor tampering with the install package, just switched a boolean FALSE to TRUE). Everything works fine after startup, but once I sleep the computer and wake it back up, kernel_task starts using at as much CPU runtime as it can, as in past 90%.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.story
0 Replies

3. Solaris

T5140 CPU Speed is 1200 Mhz or 1165 Mhz?

Hi bros, CPU speed of Sun Sparc Enterprise T5140 in data sheet is 1200 Mhz. Why it shows in "prtdiag -v" command each thread just has speed at 1165 Mhz. Thank you, tien86 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tien86
4 Replies

4. Hardware

2013 Apple Mac Pro 2.7GHz 12 Core/64GB/256GB Flash/Dual AMD FirePro D700 6GB 6,1

Hey MacPro users. I just bought a refurbished 13-Core MacPro with 64GB of RAM for a cybersecurity gaming project I'm working on. Could not wait for the new MacPro in 2019, so this will have to do: 2013 Apple Mac Pro 2.7GHz 12 Core/64GB/256GB Flash/Dual AMD FirePro D700 6GB 6,1 Now, I'm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

DiskSpeedTest 256GB OEM v. 960GB Transcend 855 SSD MacPro 2013, 12-Core, 64GB RAM

Before Upgrade: https://www.unix.com/members/1-albums177-picture1220.png After Upgrade: https://www.unix.com/members/1-albums177-picture1221.png (0 Replies)
0 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Warning! Upgrade to Catalina 10.15.3 Crashes MacPro (2013) - Will Not Boot !

WARNING! Just upgraded my MacPro (2013) from Catalina 10.15.2 to 10.15.3. After the routine download and restart for upgrade installation, the Mac would not boot. Totally crashed. Now, I'm in the process of a 15 hour restore from my last time machine backup. I'm not very happy with... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
fwkdp(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  fwkdp(1)

NAME
fwkdp -- FireWire KDP Tool SYNOPSIS
fwkdp [--setargs[=boot-args]] [--proxy] [--gdb] [--core] [--verbose] [--disable] [--erase] [--ioff] [--restart] [--help] DESCRIPTION
Use fwkdp to act as a proxy for the kernel debugging KDP protocol over FireWire. It will also accept kernel core dump images transmitted over FireWire. Additionally, fwkdp can be used to set the boot-args necessary for a target machine which is to be debugged. As a complete technology, FireWireKDP redirects the kernel debugging KDP protocol over FireWire. It enables live GDB debugging of a trapped kernel over a FireWire cable, just as you would over Ethernet. It provides the following advantages over remote Ethernet kernel debugging: - Available sooner in the kernel's startup. - Available until right when the cpu is powered down at sleep and almost as soon as the cpu is powered when waking. - No IP network configuration is required. FireWireKDP also enables Remote Kernel Core Dumps over FireWire. This allows you to debug a static kernel at a later time without the need to be connected at the time of debug. To enable kernel core dumps, see section "CORE DUMPS". For more info on debugging with Kernel Core Dumps, please see: Technical Note TN2118: Debugging With Kernel Core Dumps. FireWireKDP works in two parts: kernel software on the target side (machine to be debugged) and user-space software on the side of the host. Now, the target side software is integrated into the OS. This means that AppleFireWireKDP.kext is no longer necessary. See the installation instructions below. OPTIONS
--setargs[=boot-args], -r[boot-args] Sets the nvram boot-args on the current machine to boot-args. This flag should only be used on the target machine (which is contrary to all other usage cases, when it is used on the host). If boot-args is not passed, the tool will prompt the user as to which boot- args are to be set. --proxy, -p Use proxy mode only. --gdb, -g Use proxy mode only and automatically start gdb as a child process. --core, -c Use core dump receive mode only. --verbose, -v Verbose mode. --disable, -x Sets the nvram boot-args on the current machine to "debug=0x146" which disables kprintf logging. This flag should only be used on the target machine (which is contrary to typical usage cases, when this tool is used on the host). --erase, -e Deletes the boot-args variable from nvram. This flag should only be used on the target machine (which is contrary to typical usage cases, when this tool is used on the host). --ioff Turns off interactive mode. --restart Automatically restarts the machine only after the nvram has been modified by this tool. --help, -h Displays usage info for fwkdp. COMPATABILITY
FireWireKDP doesn't interfere with the loading of the normal FireWire stack - it only touches the FireWire hardware when the kernel debugger is invoked, either by a panic, NMI, trap, or similar. Furthermore, FireWireKDP is designed to work cooperatively with FireWireKPrintf. To use both you must use a combination of boot-args such as "debug=0x14e kdp_match_name=firewire". USAGE
Connect two Macs via FireWire and follow the steps below. On the target (machine to be debugged): 1. Use fwkdp to set the kernel boot arguments to enable live debugging: % fwkdp -r If using FireWireKDP with FireWireKPrintf try: % sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0x14e kdp_match_name=firewire" 2. Reboot the target. 3. Break into debug mode as you would with Ethernet. (NMI button, panic, debugger traps, etc.) On the debugger machine: 1. Run fwkdp: % fwkdp The FireWireKDP tool defaults to both proxy and core-dump receive mode. It is a stateless translator that shunts data between the network KDP/UDP port and the FireWire connection. Once started it can be left running indefinitely. 2. Run GDB with the target operating system's symbol file. % gdb mach_kernel See the Apple Development Kits webpage for the proper "Kernel Debug Kit" which will contain the proper "mach_kernel" symbol file. See step 6 for more info. 3. Within GDB, load the appropriate "kgmacros" (commonly found along with symbolic mach_kernel). (gdb) source kgmacros 4. Within GDB set the target to remote-kdp. (gdb) target remote-kdp 5. Within GDB, attach using kdp-reattach. (gdb) kdp-reattach localhost 6. The connection should be established. Use gdb as you would over Ethernet. 7. For more info on remote kernel debugging, please see "Two-machine Debugging" of the I/O Kit Device Driver Design Guidelines and Technical Note TN2118: Debugging With Kernel Core Dumps. CORE DUMPS
To capture kernel core dumps, set the proper bits of the boot-args' debug variable and kdp_match_name equal to "firewire". In addition, an IP address for the receiving computer is also required, although it's meaningless over FireWire. On the target machine, set the boot-args and restart. % sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0xd46 _panicd_ip=1.2.3.4 kdp_match_name=firewire" Connect the machine to be debugged to a second Mac with a FireWire cable. Run "fwkdp" from a Terminal window on the second Mac; it will wait for the target to transmit it's core after it drops to the debugger (panic, NMI, etc.). For more info on the debugging with Kernel Core Dumps, please see Technical Note TN2118: Debugging With Kernel Core Dumps. NOTES
Post-Panic Hot-Plugs Some Macs do not support post-panic debugging after hot-plugging another Mac. To avoid this problem, keep a debugger Mac connected in anticipation of a panic. 64-bit Debugging FireWireKDP does work when running the kernel in 64-bit mode. Sleep/Wake Notes FireWireKDP will work if the target has been through a sleep/wake cycle. However, if FireWireKDP has run (e.g. drop into debugger and conitnue) on the target once, it might not work again if the machine is sleep/wake cycled afterwards. Therefore, if you would like to debug a sleep/wake issue with FireWireKDP, do not sleep between breaks to the debugger. Other FireWire Devices To avoid conflicts it is best not to have other FireWire devices plugged into the host or target machines while using any FireWire debugging tools. However, it is possible to connect more than one target machine to a single host (e.g. to collect core dumps). Second FireWire Interface FireWireKDP does not work on multiple FireWire interfaces. Please use a built-in FireWire port without installing any FireWire add-in cards. FILES
/usr/bin/fwkdp is installed as part of the Mac OS X Developer Tools. SEE ALSO
fwkpfv(1) Mac OS X September 18, 2008 Mac OS X