Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Uppercase variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Uppercase variable Post 303033958 by rbatte1 on Monday 15th of April 2019 09:47:16 AM
Old 04-15-2019
Well Jim, it's nice to see that there are historical backticks in the output of set for things such as gawkpath_default Smilie

I must admit that I spent a few years writing awful code using backticks in my scripts and fighting with escapes and escaped escapes depending how many layers there were or if I was running things remotely. Compare these:-
Code:
ssh $trg grep  "'warning'  \`ls /app/logs/*\\\`date '+%Y'\\\`.TFC-log|sort -r\`"
ssh $trg grep  "'warning'  \$(ls /app/logs/*\$(date '+%Y').TFC-log|sort -r)"

Both are pretty awful and should probably have been replaced by something neater overall anyway, but the escaped back-ticks make it particularly horrible to decipher. Sadly I had to escape the $ to get that passed as literal test to the remote server so that it would then execute there. I'm not proud of it but it worked when we hardly knew what we were doing and so this sort of thing got used all over the place for a while, so deciphering it (and worse) became quite an effort. It is all tidied up/replaced now anyway. They are worse to understand if you are not the author because the scripts were rarely commented.

The really confusing part is trying to work out where a back-tick ends with all those escapes too. At least with the start of a call being $( and the end being ) you have a fighting chance and tools like vim can help you too because they recognise and highlight the 'other end' and a call.

I hope that this help (or my awful old-style code makes you squirm Smilie)
Robin
These 4 Users Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

uppercase to lowercase

Greetings & Happy New Years To All! A client of mine FTP'ed their files up to the server and it all ended up being in UPPERCASE when it all should be in lowercase. Is there a builtin command or a script anyone knows of that will automagically convert all files to lowercase? Please advise asap... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: webex
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting to Uppercase

I want to convert string into uppercase string. How can i do that ? Ex: Enter the user name: read name show=upper(name) echo $show --- This output should be the uppercase output. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

make uppercase

If in a script I am taking an input (R201) for example and assigning it to a variable, how would I change the R to uppercase if it was keyed in as r201? I can't seem to get it to work with toupper (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirkm76
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion to uppercase - tr

Hi, I am trying to convert the $i in loop from lower to upper case but getting error like ' awk: 0602-502 The statement cannot be correctly parsed. The source line is 1.' .. Requirement: I have many table in script XXX.sql which starting with 'ABC_','AbC_','aBc_' etc.. same thing for table... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subrat
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

only uppercase first character?

should be a simple question, I am trying to uppercase every first character in a word on the list. abc google cnn services My first thought was sed 'y/^/^/', but it changed all the characters, not just the first character. any thoughts? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
7 Replies

6. AIX

Lowercase to Uppercase

Inside a script I have 2 variables COMP=cy and PT=t. further down the same script I require at the same line to call those 2 variables the first time uppercase and after lowercase ${COMP}${PT}ACE,${COMP}${PT}ace. Can somebody help me Thanks in advance George Govotsis (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggovotsis
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uppercase to lowercase

i have no variable and no file i just want to convert AJIT to ajit with some command in UNIX can anybody help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajit.yadav83
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UPPERCASE to lowercase

Hi All, i have a file and i want to convert all uppercase letters to lowercase letters which are in my file. how can i do this. Thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: temhem
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to uppercase

Hi I have a string(can be mix of upper and lower case) and need the first three chars of the string to be converted to uppercase (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Northpole
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uppercase to lowercase

Hello, I have a list of files in a directory whose names are all in uppercasse, including the file format for eg *.MP3 . I would like to convert these to the normal way we write it ie ABC.MP3 to be converted to Abc.mp3 . I know that this can be done manually by using a lot of "mv" or rename... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
6 Replies
GETFLAGS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       GETFLAGS(8)

NAME
getflags, usage - command-line parsing for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
getflags $* usage [ progname ] DESCRIPTION
Getflags parses the options in its command-line arguments according to the environment variable $flagfmt. This variable should be a list of comma-separated options. Each option can be a single letter, indicating that it does not take arguments, or a letter followed by the space-separated names of its arguments. Getflags prints an rc(1) script on standard output which initializes the environment variable $flagx for every option mentioned in $flagfmt. If the option is not present on the command-line, the script sets that option's flag vari- able to an empty list. Otherwise, the script sets that option's flag variable with a list containing the option's arguments or, if the option takes no arguments, with the string 1. The script also sets the variable $* to the list of arguments following the options. The final line in the script sets the $status variable, to the empty string on success and to the string usage when there is an error parsing the command line. Usage prints a usage message to standard error. It creates the message using $flagfmt, as described above, $args, which should contain the string to be printed explaining non-option arguments, and $0, the program name (see rc(1)). If run under sh(1), which does not set $0, the program name must be given explicitly on the command line. EXAMPLE
Parse the arguments for leak(1): flagfmt='b,s,f binary,r res,x width' args='name | pid list' if(! ifs=() eval `{getflags $*} || ~ $#* 0){ usage exit usage } SOURCE
/src/cmd/getflags.c /src/cmd/usage.c SEE ALSO
arg(3) GETFLAGS(8)