Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Command script for checking a file existence Post 303033857 by Corona688 on Friday 12th of April 2019 03:08:01 PM
Old 04-12-2019
Code:
while [ ! -e /path/to/file ] ; do sleep 5 ; done
echo "File exists" | sendmail "abc@abc.com"

But the more complex you make it, the better it'd be to use inotifywait instead.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking file existence

Hi, My requirement was to check the existence of a file having a specified pattern.The way i tried to achieve this was if ; then echo "File found" fi an example file having this pattern was 'ilvs_trace01.0124'. it will vary... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the existence of a file..

Hi, I am trying to check for the existence of a file using the 'test' and the file existence options. When trying to check for a file with a space in between e.g 'Team List', it gives the following error. learn1: line 3: test: `Team: binary operator expected I am pasting my code below as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: igandu
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for existence of a flat file in UNIX !

Hi All, I have a requirement where in i need to check for existence of a file and later execute some pmcmd commands related to informatica. I tried many ways but was unsuccessful could you please throw some light. Below are the sample codes i wrote. Example 1: #!/bin/ksh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking Multiple file existence

Hi, I want to check multiple files exist or not in a single if statement in korn Shell:confused:. Please help me Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lathish
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for existence of stored procedure through script

Hi, I have a stored procedure which takes in arguments from my script and deletes rows from a table. Before calling the procedure from the script i want to make sure if the procedure actually exists.If it exists, i want to pass values to the procedure and execute it.if the stored procedure... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchill
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the existence of a file before getting last modified

Hi, I am trying to check the existence of a file, from a list of possible filenames: status-A status-B status-C before retrieving the last modified datetime using ls, I want to check it exists or ls will throw an error. So I have tried this: if ; then ls status-* fi But the if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LostInTheWoods
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking the file existence using ssh

Hi Can any body say me the reason for below error ssh -o 'StrictHostKeyChecking no' user@client ' && print "1"' I am getting error as "Missing ]":wall: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramesh12621
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking existence of file using awk

Hi, I need to check whether a particular file exists ot not using awk. Can anyone help me please? For Example:script that i am using: awk '{filename =$NF; rc=(system("test -r filename")) print $rc;}' "$1" is not working. Here I am passing a text file as input whose last word contains a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish007
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking file existence along with condition

Hi am trying to write a script which find the existence of a file from a find command output and perform a task if the file exists. Help me out with the correct syntax . Am trying with the following one but unable to get the output. if then <some tasks> else echo "file not exists" fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for the file existence

Hi, I have written a script to validate the data file by referreing to the configurtion file. And moving the validated good records and bad records into HDFS. Suppose after 15 mins if i receive one more data fie,then after validation the good and bad records shold be stored in hadoop with the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shree11
8 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- | fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command | substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even | when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. | If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- | tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- | tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for | that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is | returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. | In this way, all exceptional return codes are ``caught'' by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete | successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns ``xyz {44}'', not ``xyz {$a}'' and the script | set a "p} q {r" | subst {xyz {$a}} | return ``xyz {p} q {r}'', not ``xyz {p} q {r}''. | When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. | set a 44 | subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} | returns ``$a 44'', not ``$a $a''. Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to | retrieve the value of the variable. | proc b {} {return c} | array set a {c c [b] tricky} | subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} | returns ``[b] c'', not ``[b] tricky''. | The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest | of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script | subst {abc,[break],def} | returns ``abc,'', not ``abc,,def'' and the script | subst {abc,[continue;expr 1+2],def} | returns ``abc,,def'', not ``abc,3,def''. | Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value | subst {abc,[return foo;expr 1+2],def} | returns ``abc,foo,def'', not ``abc,3,def'' and | subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr 1+2],def} | also returns ``abc,foo,def'', not ``abc,3,def''. SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)