Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Find file dont have that string Post 303033803 by Don Cragun on Thursday 11th of April 2019 06:58:21 PM
Old 04-11-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInGermany
Don, the difference is with empty files and multi-line files:
Code:
$ printf "a\n" > a1
$ printf "b\n" > b1
$ printf "a\nb\n" > ab2
$ printf "" > e0
$ grep -FL "a" a1 b1 ab2 e0
b1
e0
$ grep -Flv "a" a1 b1 ab2 e0
b1
ab2

Only the one-line files a1 and b1 behave the same.
Yes. I apologize for being vague. What I should have said was:

The grep -Flv "a" ... will list a file operand if that file contains one or more lines that do not contain "a".

The grep -FL "a" ... will list a file operand if that file does not contain any lines that contain "a".

No matter what pattern you are searching for, grep -FL pattern file... will always list every file operand that names an empty file and grep -Flv pattern file... will never list any file operand that names an empty file.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

dont't find right regex

I have a string which contains following information: <SZ.T><P ALIGN="CENTER"><FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" SIZE="+3">Bundesregierung nimmt sich dicke Deutsche vor</FONT></P></SZ.T> <SZ.UT><P ALIGN="CENTER"><FONT SIZE="+1"><I> Seehofer und Schmidt planen Kampagne gegen... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trek
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for Files that DONT contain a string

How do I search for files that dont contain a certain string? I am currently trying find ./logs -size +1c -exec grep -l 'Process Complete' {} \; -exec ls -l {} \; > $TOD Which gives me files that are reater han 0 file size and contain the string 'Process complete' but I want files that DONT... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonydsam
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a certain string in a file and replace it with a value from another file using sed/awk?

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and new to sed/awk programming too !! I need to find particular string in file1(text file) and replace it with a value from another text file(file2) the file2 has only one line and the value to be replaced with is in the second column. file 1: (assert (=... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
21 Replies

4. Linux

Find String in FileName and move the String to new File if not found

Hi all, I have a question.. Here is my requirement..I have 500 files in a path say /a/b/c I have some numbers in a file which are comma seperated...and I wanted to check if the numbers are present in the FileName in the path /a/b/c..if the number is there in the file that is fine..but if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: us_pokiri
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find multiple string in one file using find command

Hi, I want find multiple string in one file using find coomand. And keeping it in one variable.grep is not working. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek1489
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a file if we dont know exact location of file ?

Hi I want know "How to find a file if we dont know exact location of file ?" Thanks, Tushar Joshi:) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tusharjoshi
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string and replace with string in other file

Dear all, I need your help, I have file like this: file1:23456 01910964830098775635 34567 01942809546554654323 67589 26546854368698023653 09778 58716868568576876878 08675 86178546154065406546 08573 54165843543054354305 . .file2: 23456 25 34567 26 67589 27 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in file and append new string after

Hi All, I'm trying to insert a string into a file at a specific location. I'd like to add a string after the parent::__construct(); in my file. <?php if (! defined('BASEPATH')) exit('No direct script access allowed'); class MY_Controller extends CI_Controller { function... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjkilpatrick
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in file and find the all records by string

Hello I would like to get know how to do this: I got a big file (about 1GB) and I need to find a string (for instance by grep ) and then find all records in this file based on a string. Thanks for advice. Martin (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mape
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to read string from file#1 and find/replace in file#2

Hello Forum. I have a file called abc.sed with the following commands; s/1/one/g s/2/two/g ... I also have a second file called abc.dat and would like to substitute all occurrences of "1 with one", "2 with two", etc and create a new file called abc_new.dat sed -f abc.sed abc.dat >... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
10 Replies
STR_WORD_COUNT(3)							 1							 STR_WORD_COUNT(3)

str_word_count - Return information about words used in a string

SYNOPSIS
mixed str_word_count (string $string, [int $format], [string $charlist]) DESCRIPTION
Counts the number of words inside $string. If the optional $format is not specified, then the return value will be an integer representing the number of words found. In the event the $format is specified, the return value will be an array, content of which is dependent on the $format. The possible value for the $format and the resultant outputs are listed below. For the purpose of this function, 'word' is defined as a locale dependent string containing alphabetic characters, which also may contain, but not start with "'" and "-" characters. PARAMETERS
o $string - The string o $format - Specify the return value of this function. The current supported values are: o 0 - returns the number of words found o 1 - returns an array containing all the words found inside the $string o 2 - returns an associative array, where the key is the numeric position of the word inside the $string and the value is the actual word itself o $charlist - A list of additional characters which will be considered as 'word' RETURN VALUES
Returns an array or an integer, depending on the $format chosen. CHANGELOG
+--------+--------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+--------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Added the $charlist parameter | | | | +--------+--------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 A str_word_count(3) example <?php $str = "Hello fri3nd, you're looking good today!"; print_r(str_word_count($str, 1)); print_r(str_word_count($str, 2)); print_r(str_word_count($str, 1, 'aaac3')); echo str_word_count($str); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => Hello [1] => fri [2] => nd [3] => you're [4] => looking [5] => good [6] => today ) Array ( [0] => Hello [6] => fri [10] => nd [14] => you're [29] => looking [46] => good [51] => today ) Array ( [0] => Hello [1] => fri3nd [2] => you're [3] => looking [4] => good [5] => today ) 7 SEE ALSO
explode(3), preg_split(3), split(3), count_chars(3), substr_count(3). PHP Documentation Group STR_WORD_COUNT(3)