Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Check network Linux management Post 303033709 by Neo on Wednesday 10th of April 2019 11:29:34 AM
Old 04-10-2019
You can make an acquaintance with ifconfig() by reading the man page.

https://www.unix.com/man-page/linux/8/ifconfig/
This User Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux patch management tool

I have a suse linux 9(SLES 9) I have configured "YOU" (yast online update) and it all working fine, synchronising on a daily base with http://sdb.suse.de/download but I would like to know if they is a tools or scripts that inform you of any patches that has not been applied and notify you via... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan1
0 Replies

2. Linux

Linux Patch Management

Does anyone know who to centrally manage the distribution and application of patches to multiple Linux platforms ? Is there software for this ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
0 Replies

3. IP Networking

check whether connected to network

hi... can anyone pls suggest a few methods to check whether a computer is connected to any network, using the terminal, not GUI. thanks eskay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eskay_karthik
1 Replies

4. Solaris

network management port

Hi I am using SF 240 and solaris 10 and I connected a cable to network management on server and other end to a switch. What configurations do I need on server to ssh or telnet to the network management port from remotely ? I also installed ALOM firmware. Is there anything else required on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

Network Management Software

We are a small legal firm in the UK and looking to upgrade from some open source network management tools we are using. I'm not finding very many commercially supported network management software solutions that run on Linux or UNIX for that matter. Does anyone have any recommendations? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrenton
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Check resource management from NGZ

Hi, Is there any way if a normal user in a non global zone can check the resources assigned to the zone ? like max-locked-memory etc. 2. Is it possible to disable the max-locked-memory for a particular zone without rebooting a zone ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check for network issues

Hi all, How do i check for network issues on a server (solaris & linux) - interms of connectivity, collision, congestion, whatever that's impacting the connection to/from the server? Please advise. Thanks. :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greencored
4 Replies

8. Linux

User Management in linux

Hi All, I have to learn all the user management commend like adduser,useradd,chggrp... etc I would like to know the syntax or example. Please give me document or link. Thanks, Mani (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
1 Replies
ifconfig(8c)															      ifconfig(8c)

Name
       ifconfig - configure network interface parameters

Syntax
       /etc/ifconfig interface [ address [ dest_address ] ] [ parameters ]

Description
       The  command assigns an address to a network interface and/or configures network interface parameters.  You must use at boot time to define
       the network address of each interface present on a machine. You can also use it at a later time to redefine an  interface's  address.   The
       interface parameter is a string of the form: name, unit, for example, en0.  The address is either a host name present in the host name data
       base, or a DARPA Internet address expressed in the Internet standard dot notation.

Arguments
       You can set the following parameters with

up	 Marks an interface up.

down	 Marks an interface down.  When an interface is marked down, the system does not attempt to transmit messages through that  inter-
		 face.

trailers  Enables  the  use of a trailer link level encapsulation when sending.	If a network interface supports trailers, the system, when
		 possible, encapsulates outgoing messages in a manner that minimizes the number of memory-to-memory copy operations  performed	by
		 the receiver.
		 Although trailers is the default on some network interfaces, the use of trailers is not recommended; failures in trailer negotia-
		 tion can disrupt network transmissions.  See -trailers.

-trailers Disables the use of a trailer link level encapsulation.  This is the recommended setting.

promisc	 Enables the use of the in the promiscuous mode. The promiscuous mode allows the network interface to receive all the packets  off
		 the wire and pass it onto to the packet filter.

-promisc  Disables the promiscuous mode of the packet filter. This is the default.

+copyall  Sets  the interface into copy-all mode (receives packets sent/received by the kernel-resident protocol software [for example, IP,
		 ARP, DECnet, LAT] on this host).

-copyall  Disables copy-all mode. (See for more information aboutut the flag.)

arp	 Enables the use of the Address Resolution Protocol in mapping between network level addresses and link level addresses.  This	is
		 the default.  This is currently implemented for mapping between DARPA Internet addresses and 10Mb/s Ethernet addresses.

-arp	 Disables the use of the Address Resolution Protocol.

debug	 Enables driver-dependent debugging code. Usually, this turns on extra console error logging.

-debug	 Disables driver dependent debugging code.

netmask	 Specifies  how  many  bits  of  the  address you wish to reserve for subdividing Class A and B networks into sub-networks.  (Inet
		 only).

dstaddr	 Specifies the correspondent on the other end of a point to point link.

broadcast Specifies the address you wish to use to represent broadcasts to the network.

The command displays the current configuration for a network interface when no optional parameters are supplied.

Only the superuser can modify the configuration of a network interface.

Diagnostics
       The command returns messages indicating the specified interface does not exist, the requested address is unknown, the user tried  to  alter
       an interface's configuration but is not privileged.

See Also
       netstat(1), intro(4n), packetfilter(4), MAKEDEV(8), pfconfig(8c), pfstat(8), rc(8)

ifconfig(8c)