Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to count the length of fasta sequences? Post 303033673 by RavinderSingh13 on Wednesday 10th of April 2019 07:23:49 AM
Old 04-10-2019
Hello dineshkumarsrk,

Could you please try following.
Code:
awk '
FNR==NR{
  if($0~/^>/){
    sub(/^>/,"")
    val=$0;
    next
  }
  a[val]=(a[val]?a[val] OFS:"")length($0)
  next
}
($0 in a){
  print $0,a[$0]
}
'  Input_file  id.txt

Thanks,
R. Singh
This User Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract length wise sequences from fastq file

I have a fastq file from small RNA sequencing with sequence lengths between 15 - 30. I wanted to filter sequence lengths between 21-25 and write to another fastq file. how can i do that? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for changing the accession number of DNA sequences in a FASTA file

Hi, I am having a file of dna sequences in fasta format which look like this: >admin_1_45 atatagcaga >admin_1_46 atatagcagaatatatat with many such thousands of sequences in a single file. I want to the replace the accession Id "admin_1_45" similarly in following sequences to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: margarita
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sequences from a FASTA file based on another file

I have two files. File1 is shown below. >153L:B|PDBID|CHAIN|SEQUENCE RTDCYGNVNRIDTTGASCKTAKPEGLSYCGVSASKKIAERDLQAMDRYKTIIKKVGEKLCVEPAVIAGIISRESHAGKVL KNGWGDRGNGFGLMQVDKRSHKPQGTWNGEVHITQGTTILINFIKTIQKKFPSWTKDQQLKGGISAYNAGAGNVRSYARM DIGTTHDDYANDVVARAQYYKQHGY >16VP:A|PDBID|CHAIN|SEQUENCE... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nelsonfrans
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count and search by sequence in multiple fasta file

Hello, I have 10 fasta files with sequenced reads information with read sizes from 15 - 35 . I have combined the reads and collapsed in to unique reads and filtered for sizes 18 - 26 bp long unique reads. Now i wanted to count each unique read appearance in all the fasta files and make a table... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shorten header of protein sequences in fasta file

I have a fasta file as follows >sp|O15090|FABP4_HUMAN Fatty acid-binding protein, adipocyte OS=Homo sapiens GN=FABP4 PE=1 SV=3 MCDAFVGTWKLVSSENFDDYMKEVGVGFATRKVAGMAKPNMIISVNGDVITIKSESTFKN TEISFILGQEFDEVTADDRKVKSTITLDGGVLVHVQKWDGKSTTIKRKREDDKLVVECVM KGVTSTRVYERA >sp|L18484|AP2A2_RAT AP-2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexypaul
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select distinct sequences from fasta file and list

Hi How can I extract sequences from a fasta file with respect a certain criteria? The beginning of my file (containing in total more than 1000 sequences) looks like this: >H8V34IS02I59VP SDACNDLTIALLQIAREVRVCNPTFSFRWHPQVKDEVMRECFDCIRQGLG YPSMRNDPILIANCMNWHGHPLEEARQWVHQACMSPCPSTKHGFQPFRMA... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marion MPI
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting unique sequences from multiple fasta file

Hi, I have a fasta file with multiple sequences. How can i get only unique sequences from the file. For example my_file.fasta >seq1 TCTCAAAGAAAGCTGTGCTGCATACTGTACAAAACTTTGTCTGGAGAGATGGAGAATCTCATTGACTTTACAGGTGTGGACGGTCTTCAGAGATGGCTCAAGCTAACATTCCCTGACACACCTATAGGGAAAGAGCTAAC >seq2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ibk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting sequences based on length with sed

I have this file: >ID1 AA >ID2 TTTTTT >ID-3 AAAAAAAAA >ID4 TTTTTTGGAGATCAGTAGCAGATGACAG-GGGGG-TGCACCCC Add I am trying to use this script to output sequences longer than 15 characters: sed -r '/^>/N;{/^.{,15}$/d}' The desire output would be this: >ID4... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shorten header of protein sequences in fasta file to only organism name

I have a fasta file as follows >sp|Q8WWQ8|STAB2_HUMAN Stabilin-2 OS=Homo sapiens OX=9606 GN=STAB2 PE=1 SV=3 MMLQHLVIFCLGLVVQNFCSPAETTGQARRCDRKSLLTIRTECRSCALNLGVKCPDGYTM ITSGSVGVRDCRYTFEVRTYSLSLPGCRHICRKDYLQPRCCPGRWGPDCIECPGGAGSPC NGRGSCAEGMEGNGTCSCQEGFGGTACETCADDNLFGPSCSSVCNCVHGVCNSGLDGDGT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerrild
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to add specific bases at the beginning and ending of all the fasta sequences?

Hi, I have to add 7 bases of specific nucleotide at the beginning and ending of all the fasta sequences of a file. For example, I have a multi fasta file namely test.fasta as given below test.fasta >TalAA18_Xoo_CIAT_NZ_CP033194.1:_2936369-2939570:+1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
1 Replies
KALIGN(1)							Kalign User Manual							 KALIGN(1)

NAME
kalign - performs multiple alignment of biological sequences. SYNOPSIS
kalign [infile.fasta] [outfile.fasta] [Options] kalign [-i infile.fasta] [-o outfile.fasta] [Options] kalign [< infile.fasta] [> outfile.fasta] [Options] DESCRIPTION
Kalign is a command line tool to perform multiple alignment of biological sequences. It employs the Muth?Manber string-matching algorithm, to improve both the accuracy and speed of the alignment. It uses global, progressive alignment approach, enriched by employing an approximate string-matching algorithm to calculate sequence distances and by incorporating local matches into the otherwise global alignment. OPTIONS
-s -gpo -gapopen -gap_open x Gap open penalty . -e -gpe -gap_ext -gapextension x Gap extension penalty. -t -tgpe -terminal_gap_extension_penalty x Terminal gap penalties. -m -bonus -matrix_bonus x A constant added to the substitution matrix. -c -sort <input, tree, gaps.> The order in which the sequences appear in the output alignment. -g -feature Selects feature mode and specifies which features are to be used: e.g. all, maxplp, STRUCT, PFAM-A? -same_feature_score Score for aligning same features. -diff_feature_score Penalty for aligning different features. -d -distance <wu, pair> Distance method -b -tree -guide-tree <nj, upgma> Guide tree method. -z -zcutoff Parameter used in the wu-manber based distance calculation. -i -in -input Name of the input file. -o -out -output Name of the output file. -a -gap_inc Increases gap penalties depending on the number of existing gaps. -f -format <fasta, msf, aln, clu, macsim> The output format. -q -quiet Print nothing to STDERR. Read nothing from STDIN. REFERENCES
o Timo Lassmann and Erik L.L. Sonnhammer (2005) Kalign - an accurate and fast multiple sequence alignment algorithm. BMC Bioinformatics 6:298 o Timo Lassmann, Oliver Frings and Erik L. L. Sonnhammer (2009) Kalign2: high-performance multiple alignment of protein and nucleotide sequences allowing external features. Nucleic Acid Research 3:858?865. AUTHORS
Timo Lassmann <timolassmann@gmail.com> Upstream author of Kalign. Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> Wrote the manpage. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Timo Lassmann Kalign is free software. You can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation. This manual page was written by Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> for the Debian(TM) system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the same terms as kalign itself. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License version 2 can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2. kalign 2.04 February 25, 2009 KALIGN(1)