Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers sed script to delete the last word after a last pattern match Post 303033555 by RudiC on Monday 8th of April 2019 08:53:01 AM
Old 04-08-2019
May I jump in as Don seems offline for a while now?'

sed operates on files line by line, it reads a line, performs the entire script on it, and reads the next. * is not "all lines" but a sort of mutiplier for the preceding "atom" (man regex).

Code:
s		substitute command
|		regex delimiter; any char allowed, see "man sed"
/[^/]*$		regex: slash, any number (*) non-slashes ([^/]), line end
|		separates regex from replacement
|		replacement terminator, empty replacement = delete regex

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete lines do NOT match a pattern

On Unix, it is easy to get those lines that match a pattern, by grep pattern file or those lines that do not, by grep -v pattern file but I am editing a file on Windows with Ultraedit. Ultraedit support regular expression based search and replace. I can delete all the lines that match a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JumboGeng
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: match pattern & delete matched lines

Hi all, I have the following data in a file x.csv: > ,this is some text here > ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2006/11/16,0.23 > ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2006/12/16,0.88 < ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this shouldnt be deleted I need to use SED to match anything with a > in the line and delete that line, can someone help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: not4google
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed to delete exactly match pattern and print them in other file

Hi there, I need help about using sed. Iam using sed to delete and print lines that match the port number as listed in sedfile. I am using -d and -p command for delete match port and print them respectively. However, the output is not synchonize where the total deleted lines is not similar with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_buddy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a line that does not match the pattern

hi, i am parsing a file, in that searching for lines those contains "$threadNo.Received message:" , if that line contains the required fields write them into a separate file other wise ignore them. i am using the following code,but it is printing all the lines , i dont want to rpint , please help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace 1 word after pattern match

Hi, Here is my pattern CREATE USER LZ IDENTIFIED BY VALUES 'A0144280ESD70' DEFAULT TABLESPACE USERS TEMPORARY TABLESPACE TEMP1 PROFILE DEVELOPER_D_1 ACCOUNT UNLOCK / The Sed command must look for the Line that contains TEMPORARY TABLESPACE and replace the immediate word... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search word in a line and print earlier pattern match

Hi All, I have almost 1000+ files and I want to search specific pattern. Looking forwarded your input. Search for: word1.word2 (Which procedure contain this word, I need procedure name in output. Expected output: procedure test1 procedure test2 procedure test3 procedure test4 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: susau_79
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

print word after pattern match in two instances

i have a file like below. how can i printout the digits followed by the pattern -bwout and -bwin. say i run the script by entering line number 145 (the fourth line), then the o/p should be like 5000000 1024000 8 test1 -ipprot erp -ppsout 500 -ppsin 500 -bwout 300000 -bwin 300000 -statsdevice... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb245
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert a shell script to a php script for displaying next word after pattern match

I have a shell script which I made with the help of this forum #!/bin/sh RuleNum=$1 cat bw_rules | sed 's/^.*-x //' | awk -v var=$RuleNum '$1==var {for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) {if($i=="-bwout") print $(i+3),$(i+1)}}' Basically I have a pages after pages of bandwidth rules and the script gives... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb245
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed delete blank lines upto first pattern match

Hi Im trying to do the following in sed. I want to delete any blank line at the start of a file until it matches a pattern and then stops. for example: Input output: I have got it to work within a range of two patterns with the following: sed '/1/,/pattern/{/^]*$/d}' The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duonut
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed : match one pattern then the next consecutive second pattern not working

Ive used this snippet of code on a solaris box thousands of times. But it isnt working on the new linux box sed -n '/interface LoopBack0/{N;/ ip address /p;}' *.conf its driving me nuts !! Is there something Im missing ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
7 Replies
RE_COMP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							RE_COMP(3)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec - BSD regex functions SYNOPSIS
#define _REGEX_RE_COMP #include <sys/types.h> #include <regex.h> char *re_comp(char *regex); int re_exec(char *string); DESCRIPTION
re_comp() is used to compile the null-terminated regular expression pointed to by regex. The compiled pattern occupies a static area, the pattern buffer, which is overwritten by subsequent use of re_comp(). If regex is NULL, no operation is performed and the pattern buffer's contents are not altered. re_exec() is used to assess whether the null-terminated string pointed to by string matches the previously compiled regex. RETURN VALUE
re_comp() returns NULL on successful compilation of regex otherwise it returns a pointer to an appropriate error message. re_exec() returns 1 for a successful match, zero for failure. CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD. NOTES
These functions are obsolete; the functions documented in regcomp(3) should be used instead. SEE ALSO
regcomp(3), regex(7), GNU regex manual COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1995-07-14 RE_COMP(3)