Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Permission denied
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Permission denied Post 303033481 by MadeInGermany on Saturday 6th of April 2019 06:00:50 AM
Old 04-06-2019
Open the file with > and previous contents is overwritten.
BTW if you permanently open it with exec then you can do this
Code:
exec 2> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt
date "+%I:%M:%S_%D" >&2

Note that the exec opens the file, either open-truncate with > or open-append with >>, and associates descriptor 2=stderr with it.
Subsequent writes to stderr go to the stream i.e. append.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permission denied??

i'm trying to set up my internet connection and i was told i need to edit the file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets but i get a permission denied message...why?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchillin
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

./ Permission Denied.

Could someone tell me why I am getting a permission denied message when I attempt to run this on an out file? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: trouscaillon
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission Denied

I just started computer science at UW Milwaukee. When I access the university Solaris system from PuTTY, I get permission denied when I try to access the file I wrote. Now I really have no idea what I'm doing, I just don't understand why I get permission denied in my won directory. Thank You ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: howeezy
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permission denied

Hi, I can not execute a .env file $ . /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env -bash: /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env: Permission denied Even if : -rwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 2903 Mar 5 2007 /Data/oracle/d03/mydbora/8.0.6/MYDB.env Please help. Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why do I keep getting .:Permission denied?

I'll start off by saying that I know very little about Unix - however, I do know that I have a .profile file in my home directory, and that I should be able to invoke it by typing . profile. However, when I do this for ANY .filename, I get ".: Permission denied". I'm pretty sure that there is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbersani
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied

I would like to copy data from local mechine to cluster. Basically, I typed scp -r DVD/ acount@cluster:/ it shows Permission denied. Could anyone please give me a clue to write permission on cluster, please? The poperty of where on cluster I'd like to put is drwxr-xr-x Any idea would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: su_in99
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Permission denied

Hi guys im new to this db i have a small prob while installing websphereportal6.1i think i was installed succesfully but the error im getting is while starting server. check this out # ./serverStatus.sh -all Error loading: /usr/wps61/AppServer/java/jre/bin/classic/libjvm.so: cannot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: varma917989
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission denied

I created a user so that when he logs in he will be directed to a menu /etc/passwd user1:x:115:1:Support -SysAd:/export/home/user1:/export/home/suppotrmenu/script.sh However when I logged in remotely from another server by ssh user1@1.1.1.1 , it saysexport/home/suppotrmenu/script.sh:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
4 Replies

9. Linux

Permission denied

I am using korn shell When I type in Telnet on cmd line, I get message "cannot execute" How can I get permission to execute command ? In which dir is telnet located ? I looked in /usr/bin dir. but its not there Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paramshamnani
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied

when i run echo "User” > /dev/tty5 why do i get permission denied? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinababy
2 Replies
FOPEN(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  FOPEN(3)

NAME
fopen, fdopen, freopen -- stream open functions LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> FILE * fopen(const char * restrict path, const char * restrict mode); FILE * fdopen(int fildes, const char *mode); FILE * freopen(const char * restrict path, const char * restrict mode, FILE * restrict stream); DESCRIPTION
The fopen() function opens the file whose name is the string pointed to by path and associates a stream with it. The argument mode points to a string beginning with one of the following sequences (Additional characters may follow these sequences.): ``r'' Open for reading. ``r+'' Open for reading and writing. ``w'' Open for writing. Truncate file to zero length or create file. ``w+'' Open for reading and writing. Truncate file to zero length or create file. ``a'' Append; open for writing. The file is created if it does not exist. ``a+'' Append; open for reading and writing. The file is created if it does not exist. Additionally: o The mode string can also include the letter ``b'' either as a last character or as a character between the characters in any of the two-character strings described above. This is strictly for compatibility with ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89'') and has no effect; the ``b'' is ignored. o The letter ``f'' in the mode string restricts fopen() to regular files; if the file opened is not a regular file, fopen() will fail. This is a non ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89'') extension. o The letter ``e'' in the mode string sets the close-on-exec flag in the file descriptors of the newly opened file files; if the opera- tion fails, fopen() will fail. This is a non ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89'') extension. o The letter 'x' in the mode turns on exclusive open mode to the file ( O_EXCL) which means that the file will not be created if it already exists. Any created files will have mode "S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR | S_IRGRP | S_IWGRP | S_IROTH | S_IWOTH" (0666), as modified by the process' umask(2) value. Opening a file with append mode causes all subsequent writes to it to be forced to the then current end of file, regardless of intervening repositioning of the stream. The fopen() and freopen() functions initially position the stream at the start of the file unless the file is opened with append mode, in which case the stream is initially positioned at the end of the file. The fdopen() function associates a stream with the existing file descriptor, fildes. The mode of the stream must be compatible with the mode of the file descriptor. The stream is positioned at the file offset of the file descriptor. The freopen() function opens the file whose name is the string pointed to by path and associates the stream pointed to by stream with it. The original stream (if it exists) is closed. The mode argument is used just as in the fopen() function. The primary use of the freopen() function is to change the file associated with a standard text stream (stderr, stdin, or stdout). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion fopen(), fdopen() and freopen() return a FILE pointer. Otherwise, NULL is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The functions may fail if: [EFTYPE] The file is not a regular file and the character ``f'' is specified in the mode. [EINVAL] The specified mode was invalid. The fopen(), fdopen() and freopen() functions may also fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the routine malloc(3). The fopen() function may also fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the routine open(2). The fdopen() function may also fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the routine fcntl(2). The freopen() function may also fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the routines open(2), fclose(3) and fflush(3). SEE ALSO
open(2), fclose(3), fileno(3), fseek(3), funopen(3) STANDARDS
The fopen() and freopen() functions conform to ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). All three functions are specified in IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (``POSIX.1''). CAVEATS
Proper code using fdopen() with error checking should close(2) fildes in case of failure, and fclose(3) the resulting FILE * in case of suc- cess. FILE *file; int fd; if ((file = fdopen(fd, "r")) != NULL) { /* perform operations on the FILE * */ fclose(file); } else { /* failure, report the error */ close(fd); } BSD
November 14, 2012 BSD