Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Automate splitting of files , scp files as each split completes and combine files on target server Post 303033428 by malaika on Friday 5th of April 2019 07:50:49 AM
Old 04-05-2019
Automate splitting of files , scp files as each split completes and combine files on target server

i use the split command to split a one terabyte backup file into 10 chunks of 100 GB each. The files are split one after the other. While the files is being split, I will like to scp the files one after the other as soon as the previous one completes, from server A to Server B. Then on server B , once all the ten files have been received, i wll like to combine (cat them). How can i automate the whole process.
I want to save time and not wait for the completion of the splitting of all the ten 1000 GB files before I scp, I want to scp as each file completes.
Can anyone help with how to automate this process ? Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combine to flat files which are there in remote server ?

:mad: I have to write a script in informatica, which is used to combine two remote flat files (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivasaraju.m
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting input files into multiple files through AWK command

Hi, I needs to split *.txt files from single directory depends on the some mutltiple input values. i have wrote the code like below for file in *.txt do grep -i -h "value1|value2" $file > $file; done. My requirment is more input values needs to be given in grep; let us say 50... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arund_01
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to transfer the files from source to target server.

I need to write a shell script to transfer the files every hour from source - target server. The cron job should be running every hour and shouldn't copy already copied files to the remote server ? I was able to write intial script but not able to get the logic for (in the next run it should... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhirk
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy files from remote server (B) to target server (A)?

Hi All, what is the comand to log off the remote server? I have 2 servers A, B. I need to find all files older than 7 days on server B and copy over to server A. My logic is: login the remote server: ================= ssh hostB cd /data/test find . -mtime -7 -ls | awk '{print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer0705
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

scp files from other server with check

Hi all, I am new to this forum,and it has been really a great pleasure to be a part of this forum:) well,i m trying to write a shell script where i m transfering a set of files from other server to my own server. for this i m using scp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasson_ibm
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for Copying files from one server to another using scp

Hi Scripting experts, I am new to the unix scripting. Please help me out for solving the condition given below I am trying to develop a script for Copying files which are getting generated in server A to server B using scp. In serverA files are generating as for eg abc1.txt, abc2.txt,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohithji
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

combine multiple files by column into one files already sorted!

I have multiple files; each file contains a certain data in a column view simply i want to combine all those files into one file in columns example file1: a b c d file 2: 1 2 3 4 file 3: G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamro
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

scp files that are 3 days older from remote server-

hello, i am trying to get a list of files to be scped from the remote server by running the below in my local unix server ( note - there is a passwordless connectivity setup made between the local and remote server) and, we use KSH. --- ssh $scp_host "find /a/b/c/*/ -iname "$remote_file"" >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: billpeter3010
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need shell script to compare directories and delete files on target server

Hello, I need help in writing the shell script for below mentioned case. There are 2 servers(server A, server B). A cronjob syncs files between these 2 servers. Existing script is copying files from A to B. This is done using the command rsync. However, the files are not deleted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SravaniVedam11
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

scp of multiple files to remote server

Hello, I would like to scp multiple files to a remote server that requires a password for the process to be completed. I have 30 folders (x_1, x_2 ... x_30), each containing 25 files. What I want to do is scp 1 out of the 25 files (file called bvals) for all my folders to a remote server and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nasia.m
3 Replies
SPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split -- split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-a suffix_length] [-b byte_count[k|m]] [-l line_count] [-p pattern] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads the given file and breaks it up into files of 1000 lines each. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, split reads from the standard input. The options are as follows: -a suffix_length Use suffix_length letters to form the suffix of the file name. -b byte_count[k|m] Create smaller files byte_count bytes in length. If ``k'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count kilobyte pieces. If ``m'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count megabyte pieces. -l line_count Create smaller files n lines in length. -p pattern The file is split whenever an input line matches pattern, which is interpreted as an extended regular expression. The matching line will be the first line of the next output file. This option is incompatible with the -b and -l options. If additional arguments are specified, the first is used as the name of the input file which is to be split. If a second additional argument is specified, it is used as a prefix for the names of the files into which the file is split. In this case, each file into which the file is split is named by the prefix followed by a lexically ordered suffix using suffix_length characters in the range ``a-z''. If -a is not speci- fied, two letters are used as the suffix. If the name argument is not specified, the file is split into lexically ordered files named with the prefix ``x'' and with suffixes as above. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE environment variables affect the execution of split as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The split utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
csplit(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The split utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A split command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The maximum line length for matching patterns is 65536. BSD
August 21, 2005 BSD