Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Restore .dmg containing multiple partitions to bootable USB flash drive Post 303033360 by RudiC on Thursday 4th of April 2019 05:49:51 AM
Old 04-04-2019
Where exactly does your if=/dev/INSTALLERDRIVE in post #8 point to?

Setting dd's blocksize to, say, 1MB or two in lieu of the default 512 byte would drastically reduce the transfer time.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

USB flash Drive

Hello all.. I have a Verbatim 2 GB flash drive. I also have Solaris 10 running on my workstation. If I am in the Windows environment, it detects the flash drive. But when I plug it while I am in solaris, nothing happens. How will solaris 10 detect my flash drive? What do I have to do? any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr76413
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

USB flash drive is not mounting what to do...?

hello forum.. i am using RHEL 4.0 and my system is dual boot.normally the usb flash drive should be auto mount , but in my system i am unable to mount the drive plz help... i am a new user so plz give me in detail. thank u in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoranjan
5 Replies

3. SCO

mounting USB floppy drive /Flash drive in OSR 6.0

Can anybody help me out to mount USB flash /floppy drive in sco openserver 6.0 . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshdrajan
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does HPUX 10.2 or 11.i support any USB flash drive?

Where can I get a driver that support usb flash drives for my unix machines. I need a solution to transfer data easily for techs. I am running C3750 and c8000 HP equipment. Or is there a way to mount them and use them without adding drivers? thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkend12
0 Replies

5. Solaris

removable usb flash drive

# rmformat Looking for devices... 1. Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0p0 Physical Node: /pci@0,0/pci-ide@1f,1/ide@0/sd@0,0 Connected Device: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B E113 Device Type: DVD Reader/Writer 2. Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0p0 Physical Node:... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
26 Replies

6. Ubuntu

USB flash drive/keyfob will not automount

I am working on an Ubuntu Linux 8.10 system that I do not want to reboot. For some reason, USB flash drives (mass storage devices) now no longer automount. I want to restore that functionality without rebooting. I can manually mount and unmount these things by doing: cd /media sudo mkdir thing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Booting different partitions on a usb drive with syslinux

Hello, I have an 8gb usb flash drive that I had high aspirations of using for a recovery/install/messing around multipurpose drive. fdisk shows: $ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdb password for woodnt: Disk /dev/sdb: 8036 MB, 8036285952 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 977 cylinders Units =... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

8. Boot Loaders

How to install grub on USB flash drive?

I wanna install grub on my flash drive for rescue usage. My computer installs winxp, and I have fedora12 installed in vmware. I did like this: step1: format the flash drive as FAT in winXP. step2: in fedora12, mount the flash drive on /media/flash step3: excute the command: grub-install... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to increase cylinders on USB Flash Drive

Hello All, I faced a unique issue. I have written a script for transferring backup data on my host machine to a USB Flash drive. The Flash drive must be of 16GB size. So, my script creates two primary partitionon the USB flash drive. I require approx 5900 cylinders for the first partition on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pkumar Sachin
8 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Need help in making bootable USB flash with customized 12.04

I'd like to make bootable USB flash with 12.04 desktop on it with some additional packages and customizations, such as added language. What I tried so far - I went through pendrivelinux.com ISO to USB program and have working bootable USB with 12.04 desktop on it. The problem is all my changes... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
8 Replies
chvol(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  chvol(8)

NAME
chvol - changes the attributes of a volume SYNOPSIS
/sbin/chvol [-l] [-r blocks] [-w blocks] [-t blocks] [-c on | off] [-A] special domain OPTIONS
Activates a volume after an incomplete addvol or rmvol operation. Turns I/O consolidation mode on or off. Displays the range of I/O transfer sizes, in 512-byte blocks, as calculated by the kernel, based on the disk's geometry: rblks displays the minimum, the maximum, and the preferred transfer size for reads. wblks displays the minimum, the maximum, and the preferred transfer size for writes. Specifies the maximum number of 512-byte blocks that the file system reads from the disk at one time. Specifies the maximum number of dirty, 512-byte blocks that the file system will cache in-memory (per volume in a domain). Dirty means that the data has been written by the application but the file system has cached it in memory so it has not yet been written to disk. The number of blocks must be in multiples of 16. The valid range is 0-32768. The default (when a volume is added to a domain) is 16,384 blocks. For optimal performance, specify blocks in multiples of wblks (as specified by the -w option) and multiples of rblks (as specified by the -r option). Specifies the maximum number of 512-byte blocks that the file system writes to the disk at one time. OPERANDS
Specifies the block special device name, such as /dev/disk/dsk2c. Specifies the name of the file domain. DESCRIPTION
The chvol command enables you to change the attributes of a volume in an active domain. For example, the file system can consolidate a number of I/O transfers into a single, large I/O transfer. The larger the I/O transfer, the better the file-system performance. If you attempt to change the attributes of a volume in a domain that is not active, an error message is produced. The initial I/O transfer parameter for both reads and writes is typically 128 or 256 blocks, depending on the disk driver's preferred I/O transfer rate. Once you change the I/O transfer parameters with the -r option or the -w option, the parameters remain fixed until you change them again. The values for the I/O transfer parameters are limited by the device driver. Every device has a minimum and maximum value for the size of the reads and writes it can handle. If you set a value that is outside of the range that the device driver allows, the device automatically resets the value to the largest or smallest it can handle. By default, the I/O consolidation mode (cmode) is on. The cmode must be on for the I/O transfer parameters to take effect. You can use the -c option to turn the cmode off, which sets the I/O transfer parameter to one page. Interrupting an rmvol operation can leave the volume in an inaccessible state. If a volume does not allow new allocations after an rmvol operation, use the chvol command with the -A option to reactivate the volume. Using the chvol command without any options displays the current cmode and the I/O transfer parameters. RESTRICTIONS
The values for the wblks and rblks attributes are limited by the device driver. You must be the root user to use this command. EXAMPLES
The following example displays the cmode and the I/O transfer parameters of the /dev/disk/dsk1c volume in the domain1 file domain: # chvol /dev/disk/dsk1c domain1 rblks = 128 wblks = 128 cmode = on thresh = 16,384 The following example additionally toggles the cmode: # chvol -c off /dev/disk/dsk1c domain1 # chvol /dev/disk/dsk1c domain1 rblks = 128 wblks = 128 cmode = off thresh = 16,384 The following example continues by changing the I/O transfer parameters of reads (rblks) and writes (wblks) from 128 blocks to 256 blocks. Note that the cmode is off and must be on before the parameters take effect: # chvol -r 256 -w 256 -c on /dev/disk/dsk1c domain1 chvol /dev/disk/dsk1c domain1 rblks = 256 wblks = 256 cmode = on thresh = 16,384 The following example shows the I/O transfer range on domain1: # chvol -l /dev/disk/dsk0a domain1 chvol /dev/disk/dsk0a domain1 rblks: min = 16 max = 32768 pref = 256 wblks: min = 16 max = 32768 pref = 256 SEE ALSO
advfs(4), showfdmn(8) chvol(8)