Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Individual Risk Management (Personal IT Security) and Browser Cache Management Post 303033322 by Neo on Wednesday 3rd of April 2019 07:56:15 AM
Old 04-03-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin

You asked for a scenario where this might pose a risk to the user: let us say i search Google for ways to overcome personal debt repeatedly. If one of the "advertisement partners" of Google is the next bank and if Google is able to identify me across sessions i may well have lowered my credit rating effectively by doing that research - even if it might not even be for me. Given, that is a constructed example and includes a lot of conjecture - but the girl getting advertisement for baby food before even her parents were aware of her pregnancy was real. It is not a lot different (not in scope and definitely not in technical background) from what i presented here.
Yes, that first example is "constructed" and not really realistic.

The second is a real example, but that example is not because of "cookies and caches"... it was because the girl had made purchases with Target and so Target (a retail chain in the US) sent her a paper flyer in the mail based on her purchases.

Quote:
Pole identified 25 products that when purchased together indicate a women is likely pregnant. The value of this information was that Target could send coupons to the pregnant woman at an expensive and habit-forming period of her life.
Neither of your examples are related to clearing cookies and caches.

The first is just a fantasy based without facts or details.

The second is well documented NOT to be related to cookies or web caches, but is related to the computer records of the purchases of the girl in the story. The article ends with an apology:

Quote:
On the phone, though, the father was somewhat abashed. "I had a talk with my daughter," he said. "It turns out there's been some activities in my house I haven't been completely aware of. She's due in August. I owe you an apology."
Can we please stick to the facts of "cookies" and "caches" which you advised people to clear "for their own good".

Neither of the scenarios you posted are relevant to that. I am sorry to inform!!

On the other hand, even if the girl in the "real story" above cleared her cookies and cache, she would have still got the coupons because she was targeted (marketing) because of her purchase history with the company in their database, not because of "cookies" or "caches" in browsers.

SUX(1)								   User Commands							    SUX(1)

NAME
sux - wrapper around su which will transfer your X credentials SYNOPSIS
sux [OPTS] [-] [[username] [ARGS]] suxterm [OPTS] [-] [username] DESCRIPTION
sux is a wrapper around the standard su command which will transfer your X credentials to the target user. Note, suxterm forces ARGS to be 'xterm', and will try to launch an xterminal window. QUICK CALLING
'sux user' and 'sux - user' behave just like su but transfer $DISPLAY and the X cookies. OPTIONS
--untrusted To generate an untrusted cookie, see 'xauth'. --timout <period> To generate a temporary cookie for <period> seconds, see 'xauth'. -m,-p --preserve-environment In this case sux will override XAUTHORITY to the so that xauth does not try to use the original user's .Xauthority file (which it obviously could not do anyway due to access rights). --no-cookies Just transfer DISPLAY, not the cookies. You could do this if you have already transfered the cookies in a previous invocation of sux. --copy-cookies Copy the cookies using xauth. This is the default method (and only method most of the time). --use-xauthority Instead of transfering the cookies, set the XAUTHORITY environment variable to access the original .Xauthority file. There's a cou- ple caveats with this method. First, due to the access right issues it's only usable by root. But even then it may not work if the .Xauthority file is accessed via NFS, e.g. if the home directories are on NFS (note that this is quite dangerous already since your cookies will travel unencrypted over the network). Then, if root runs commands like xauth add/remove, the .Xauthority's ownership will belong to him. This will leave the original user in trouble as he will no longer be able to access X! So only use this option with great care. Finally, this method does not work if you also want to use '--untrusted' or '--timeout'. --display specify which display to use (in case of having more than one available). AUTHOR
Originally written by Francois Gouget <fgouget@free.fr> Manpage written by Millis Miller <millis@faztek.org> REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <millis@faztek.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
su (1), xauth (1) sux 1.0 Sept 2003 SUX(1)