Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to use live-upgrade with single disk, pre-patching steps? Post 303033223 by solaris_1977 on Monday 1st of April 2019 08:14:23 PM
Old 04-01-2019
How to use live-upgrade with single disk, pre-patching steps?

Hi,

I have Solaris-10 x86 (running on HP hardware), with 12 non-global zones running on this. I have to install latest patch cluster/set on this server. This server is not under backup schedule, so before installing patch cluster, I want to keep a backup. In case of any issue (bad patch or application break), I should be able to revert back to pre-patching status.
Now challenge is, due to hardware RAID, I can see only one disk and one zpool. There is sufficient space.
I am get examples of create image on alternate disk or alternate pool. But how will I do it when I have single disk and single zpool ?
Suggest please.

Code:
# zpool list
NAME    SIZE  ALLOC   FREE    CAP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
rpool  1.81T  84.1G  1.73T     4%  ONLINE  -
# echo|format
Searching for disks...done

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
       0. c0t0d0 <DEFAULT cyl 60794 alt 2 hd 255 sec 252>
          /pci@0,0/pci8086,3408@1/pci103c,3245@0/sd@0,0
Specify disk (enter its number): Specify disk (enter its number):
#

Thanks

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Typical steps to be followed while applying an application patch upgrade on linux

what are the typical steps used by system adminstrators while applying an application patch upgrade (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Live Upgrade Patching Error: Unable to write vtoc

Attempting to patch several servers using live upgrade Release: Oracle Solaris 10 8/11 s10x_u10wos_17b X86 Error I'm receiving is in the message in the log below tail -15 /var/svc/log/rc6.log Legacy init script "/etc/rc0.d/K50pppd" exited with return code 0. Executing legacy init... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siralos
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Help me with Pre Installation Steps for Patching on Solaris Servers

What are the Pre-installation steps for patching on Solaris servers in real time ? :confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrishna
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris patching issue with Live Upgrade

I have Solaris-10 sparc box with ZFS file-system, which is running two non global zones. I am in process of applying Solaris Recommended patch cluster via Live Upgrade. Though I have enough space in root file-system of both zones, everytime I run installcluster, it fails with complaining less... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Live upgrade first steps

Hello Guys, I am a little confused about the first step in the live upgrade process. I will be glad if someone can clarify this for me. The pre-live upgrade patch, when do you add this patch to the OS you want to upgrade? 1. before creating the new boot environment? or 2. after creating... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjashu
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 patching using live upgrade with VxVM

Hello, I was assigned some Solaris machines and need to patch them to N-1, where N is the latest OS realease, which means, upgrade till one version before the latest one. I do not now a lot about Solaris. What I only know is that need to make use of live upgrade and be careful with VxVM... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: feroccimx
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Patching using live upgrade - with non-globalzone

Hi all, I would like to ask what will be the best practice for the following setup / - c0t0d0s0 - current BE (named First) / - c0t0d1s0 - alternate BE (name Second) i have a non-global zone with zonepath in /zones/myzone /mnt/opt - c0t0d2s6 (shared between the 2 BE)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies
addbadsec(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     addbadsec(1M)

NAME
addbadsec - map out defective disk blocks SYNOPSIS
addbadsec [-p] [ -a blkno [blkno...]] [-f filename] raw_device DESCRIPTION
addbadsec is used by the system administrator to map out bad disk blocks. Normally, these blocks are identified during surface analysis, but occasionally the disk subsystem reports unrecoverable data errors indicating a bad block. A block number reported in this way can be fed directly into addbadsec, and the block will be remapped. addbadsec will first attempt hardware remapping. This is supported on SCSI drives and takes place at the disk hardware level. If the target is an IDE drive, then software remapping is used. In order for software remapping to succeed, the partition must contain an alternate slice and there must be room in this slice to perform the mapping. It should be understood that bad blocks lead to data loss. Remapping a defective block does not repair a damaged file. If a bad block occurs to a disk-resident file system structure such as a superblock, the entire slice might have to be recovered from a backup. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a Adds the specified blocks to the hardware or software map. If more than one block number is specified, the entire list should be quoted and block numbers should be separated by white space. -f Adds the specified blocks to the hardware or software map. The bad blocks are listed, one per line, in the specified file. -p Causes addbadsec to print the current software map. The output shows the defective block and the assigned alternate. This option cannot be used to print the hardware map. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: raw_device The address of the disk drive (see FILES). FILES
The raw device should be /dev/rdsk/c?[t?]d?p0. See disks(1M) for an explanation of SCSI and IDE device naming conventions. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
disks(1M), diskscan(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), format(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
The format(1M) utility is available to format, label, analyze, and repair SCSI disks. This utility is included with the addbadsec, diskscan(1M), fdisk(1M), and fmthard(1M) commands available for x86. To format an IDE disk, use the DOS "format" utility; however, to label, analyze, or repair IDE disks on x86 systems, use the Solaris format(1M) utility. SunOS 5.10 24 Feb 1998 addbadsec(1M)