Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Alias help
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Alias help Post 303033215 by wisecracker on Monday 1st of April 2019 04:52:20 PM
Old 04-01-2019
Hi Kentlee65...

Welcome friend...
We need your shell type, machine, and said machine OS.

OK.
When you run your aliases what are the results and/or error reports.
Copy and paste them from your terminal inside '</>' code tags. If nothing happens to any of them then just say nothing or blank.

This is a starter to help you diagnose errors and syntax as well as possible programming errors...
TIA.

Bazza.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias

Hello, I'm a beginner to Unix and I want to create an alias that lists the given directory in long format; the alias should use a pager to display the result. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guelpth
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

using alias...

hi.. i want to make an alias in unix, for using it to change of directory by example: if i am in /dtmp/inp/aux and i want to go to /sybase/bd, i want to make an alias named "bd", to go directally to /sybase/bd (alias bd="cd /sybase/bd") i create it, but when i turn off the conection... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

alias help

i want to use short cut alias command but its not happening can any on help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafique
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias help

Hi I have a problem when i try to set any thing as alias it works say alias sasa="cd /home/hghgg" but when i close the terminal it does not work (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafique
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

please help me regarding alias

Dear All, I have given alias to run a script which will calculate memory and cpu utilization as "utils" in my bash shell. Even i have given this entry in .profile and .bashrc in my home directory. It is working fine. Now my question is that I want to use this alias in... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
17 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias help

Hello again, what does \!* do int his line alias lookup 'grep -i \!* who.is.who' Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kris888
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using alias

I need to login to one server and then switch the user and set a number alias. But i cant modify the .profile file. I have one script avi1.sh $ more avi.sh sudo su - bil sh avi1.sh and in home directory of bil i have avi1.sh that says $ more avi1.sh alias l='ls -ltr' alias b='cd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackeyed
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias help

I can get the nth line of a file using sed -n 'np' file however all I want to type is "line n file" so I am trying to use alias alias line='sed -n \'&\'' but its not working, how can I make this work Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjones
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias help

I am creating subversion pre commit hook on linux to run on client side but its not working and throwing an error - alias svnbi="plutil *.plist|grep -v OK; if ; then svn ci -m $1 ; fi" but when I run - (test is $1 here) svnbi test bash: syntax error near unexpected token `test' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacki
1 Replies
INIT(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   INIT(8)

NAME
init - initialize machine upon booting SYNOPSIS
/$cputype/init [ -ctm ] [ command ... ] DESCRIPTION
Init initializes the machine: it establishes the name space (see namespace(4) and newns in auth(2)), and environment (see env(3)) and starts a shell (rc(1)) on the console. If a command is supplied, that is run instead of the shell. On a CPU server the invoked shell runs cpurc(8) before accepting commands on the console; on a terminal, it runs termrc and then the user's profile. Options -t (terminal) and -c (CPU) force the behavior to correspond to the specified service class. Otherwise init uses the value of the environment variable $service to decide the service class. Init sets environment variables $service (either to the incoming value or according to -t or -c), $objtype (to the value of $cputype), $user (to the contents of #c/user), and $timezone (to the contents of /adm/timezone/local). With option -m init starts only an interactive shell regardless of the command or service class. On a CPU server, init requires the machine's password to be supplied before starting rc on the console. Init is invoked by boot(8), which sets the arguments as appropriate. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/init.c SEE ALSO
rc(1), auth(2), boot(8) INIT(8)