Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers awk to remove pattern and lines above pattern Post 303033196 by cmccabe on Monday 1st of April 2019 10:42:33 AM
Old 04-01-2019
Thank you very much Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines from batch of files which match pattern

I need to remove all lines which does not match the pattern from a text file (batch of text files). I also need to keep the header line which is the first line of the file. Please can you provide an example for that. I used this to solve half of my work. I was unable to keep the first line of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: talktobog
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

NAWK to remove lines that matches a specific pattern

Hi, I have requirement that I need to split my input file into two files based on a search pattern "abc" For eg. my input file has below content abc defgh zyx I need file 1 with abc and file2 with defgh zyx I can use grep command to acheive this. But with grep I need... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbhuvana20
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for pattern and remove the lines

Hi , I want to remove the specific pattern and remove those lines from file using shell script. i want to remove these lines <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?> <row_set> </row_set> my input file has content like this. file name: sample.xml <?xml version='1.0'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nukala_2
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove multiple lines that match pattern

Not sure how I can accomplish this. I would like to remove all interfaces that have the commands I would like to see: switchport port-security, spanning-tree portfast. One line is no problem. interface FastEthernet0/8 spanning-tree portfast interface FastEthernet0/9 spanning-tree... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk remove/grab lines from file with pattern from other file

Sorry for the weird title but i have the following problem. We have several files which have between 10000 and about 500000 lines in them. From these files we want to remove lines which contain a pattern which is located in another file (around 20000 lines, all EAN codes). We also want to get... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: SDohmen
28 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine lines from line with pattern match to a line that ends in a pattern

I am trying to combine lines with these conditions: 1. First line starts with text of "libname VALUE db2 datasrc" where VALUE can be any text. 2. If condition1 is met then continue to combine lines through a line that ends with a semicolon. 3. Ignore case when matching patterns and remove any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wes Kem
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the lines with this pattern?

Hello everyone, I have a sample data like this: Glyma.10G051100 Glyma.02G036000 89.91 228 23 0 1 228 1 228 1e-78 294 Glyma.10G051100 Glyma.09G023700 87.28 228 29 0 1 228 1 228 1e-68 261 Glyma.10G285200 Glyma.20G103800 96.33 1663 55 4 1 1657 1 1663 0.0 2728 Glyma.10G285200 Glyma.05G093700 95.02... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nengcheng
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove next 15 lines after pattern in Solaris

Team, I am trying to use sed to delete 15 lines, after pattern patch, which includes the pattern as well in Solaris. I used the below command, as we do it Linux, but it's not working as expected in Solaris. I am getting the error as "garbled".sed '/\/table/,+15d' status.html sed: command... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraj R
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with sed to combine lines and remove specific odd # pattern from line

In the awk piped to sed below I am trying to format file by removing the odd xxxx_digits and whitespace after, then move the even xxxx_digit to the line above it and add a space between them. There may be multiple lines in file but they are in the same format. The Filename_ID line is the last line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for lines containing a given pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [-elnsv] pattern [file] ... OPTIONS
-e -e pattern is the same as pattern -c Print a count of lines matched -i Ignore case -l Print file names, no lines -n Print line numbers -s Status only, no printed output -v Select lines that do not match EXAMPLES
grep mouse file # Find lines in file containing mouse grep [0-9] file # Print lines containing a digit DESCRIPTION
Grep searches one or more files (by default, stdin) and selects out all the lines that match the pattern. All the regular expressions accepted by ed and mined are allowed. In addition, + can be used instead of * to mean 1 or more occurrences, ? can be used to mean 0 or 1 occurrences, and | can be used between two regular expressions to mean either one of them. Parentheses can be used for grouping. If a match is found, exit status 0 is returned. If no match is found, exit status 1 is returned. If an error is detected, exit status 2 is returned. SEE ALSO
cgrep(1), fgrep(1), sed(1), awk(9). GREP(1)