Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DISK and MPIO
Operating Systems AIX DISK and MPIO Post 303033185 by bakunin on Monday 1st of April 2019 07:26:21 AM
Old 04-01-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat
--> the disks marked with Defined mean that they are not available?
Exactly. AIX stores information about devices generally in the ODM. Since this is updated only by a run of cfgmgr (in fact that is the very purpose of this command) it might be that a device is still defined in the ODM (because once it was available but is not any more now) describes a device that is already removed (or not working for some other reason). These devices will be in state "Defined". Re-plung them in and they become "Available" automatically. Delete them from the ODM (via rmdev and they will be gone forever - only to return after being replugged and cfgmgr is run again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat
We can opt to select the mpio method sddpcm, AIX PCM for whatever disk we want?
You need to use a driver that works (duh! ;-)) ). It does not only depend on a disk if a driver works or not but also on the nature of the connection LUN<->host system, the storage subsystem involved the type of fabric you use and so on.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX MPIO and EMC

We are looking at running MPIO for it's redundancy and load balancing benefits. Does anyone know what pieces of software or modules are needed on the VIO server to get load balancing to work. Remember we are using EMC's DMX3500 storage system. We no longer want to use Powerpath. :rolleyes: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vxg0wa3
2 Replies

2. AIX

AIX 5.3 MPIO vs RDAC on DS4000 range

Hi I would like to ask what the benefits are of changing from RDAC to MPIO when connecting to a DS4000 on AIX 5.3? I have heard that IBM MPIO "might" support more than 1 active path to a LUN when connecting to a DS4800 through more than 1 host connection on the same AIX client. I understand that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimyo
8 Replies

3. AIX

AIX native MPIO

Hi folks, does anybody have a link to a documentation how to implement native MPIO on AIX? We are using EMC PowerPath and Datacore SanSymphony/Cambex for this so far and I wasn't able to find a good description on that topic. All I know so far is that mkpath, chpath and lspath are used to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
3 Replies

4. AIX

SDD SDDPCM MPIO lspath Jargon

Can anyone recommend me some reading material surrounding how AIX handles LUNs: - with and without MPIO installed - with and without SDD or SDDPCM installed Where does lspath sit in all of this (MPIO layer?). Can a system be built with just MPIO software? Is MPIO software even needed? I guess... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apra143
0 Replies

5. AIX

MPIO Driver

On a particular LPAR, I was running AIX 5.3 TL 3. On Monday I did an update of the LPAR to 5.3 TL 9 SP2. The install was smooth, but then I ran into a problem. The MPIO driver does not work with LSI's StoreAge (SVM4). I did some looking, and looks like 5.3 TL3 = IBM.MPIO 5.3.0.30 5.3... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: clking
0 Replies

6. AIX

MPIO reliability

Hi, we have a vew boxes using MPIO and they are connected to some virtualization software managing some disk subsystems, offering volumes to the AIX boxes. Sometimes when a cable has been plugged out for a test or when a real problem occurs, using lspath to show the state of the paths shows... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
8 Replies

7. AIX

MPIO - list of supported arrays

Hello, we are planning to deploy some of our databases on AIX/LPAR based servers (we didn't bought it yet ...). IBM's engineers says that if we want to boot them from SAN the hardware array has to be compatible with MPIO but they don't want to deliver any document with list of arrays supported... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy55
5 Replies

8. AIX

Upgrading from native MPIO to SDDPCM AIX 6.1

We have AIX 6.1 system attached to SAN disks (DS4700 and DS8100) thru SVC. Initially when the system was I forgot to install sddpcm drivers. and wanted to know how can i go with the installation of the sddpcm drivers. My understandin going thru the manual ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk8570
3 Replies

9. AIX

Failed mpio path on AIX5.3

I have found failed mpio path on AIX and enabled that failed path as below failed path on AIX bash-3.2# lspath -l hdisk10 Enabled hdisk10 fscsi0 Enabled hdisk10 fscsi0 Failed hdisk10 fscsi3 Enabled hdisk10 fscsi3 Enabled failed path as below chpath -l hdisk10 -p fscsi3 -s enable... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: murali969
13 Replies

10. AIX

Need Help with SDD / SDDPCM / MPIO

This is getting very confusing for me, and appreciate if someone can help. Platform: Power VM ( Virtual I/O Server) ioslevel 2.1.3.10-FP23 # oslevel -s 6100-05-00-0000 Storage: IBM DS4300 Two HBAs - Dual Port Fibre Adapter Channels Each card has two ports , so a total of 4 ports going... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
3 Replies
atapi_ide(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					      atapi_ide(7)

NAME
atapi_ide - Interface for ATAPI or IDE (PC) devices SYNOPSIS
PCI bus CMD/Acer ATAPI/IDE adapter: bus pci0 at * bus ata0 at * controller scsi0 at ata0 slot 0 controller scsi1 at ata0 slot 1 PCI bus Cypress ATAPI/IDE adapter: bus pci0 at * bus ata0 at * bus ata1 at * controller scsi0 at ata0 slot 0 controller scsi1 at ata1 slot 0 PCMCIA bus ATA/IDE disk card: bus pcmcia0 at * bus ata0 at pcmcia? controller scsi0 at ata0 DESCRIPTION
Devices commonly known for their use on PC devices as ATA or IDE devices are supported using the SCSI CAM device driver. The ATA standard has also been expanded to include what are known as ATAPI devices. The SCSI CAM device driver is also used for those disks and CD-ROM devices. These devices may also be known under the names EIDE, ATA-2, Fast-ATA, or Ultra-ATA. Beacuse the ATA/IDE standard was not developed until after many of the devices that used this standard were produced, there are many devices which do not strictly comply with the standard. While it is possible some industry standard devices may appear to work, it is also possible they will cause hang or data corruption cases when used under more stressful situations. For this reason, it is recommended that only the supported devices be used. These devices have been tested and are certified for correct operation. ATAPI/IDE controllers allow the connection of two devices. These two devices are known as the master device and the slave device. If only one device is connected, that device must be the master (slave-only configurations are not supported). When used by the SCSI CAM device driver, the IDE master device is assigned SCSI id 0 for that controller. The slave device is assigned SCSI id 1 for that controller. No other SCSI ids are assigned on that controller. Most ATAPI/IDE adapters contain two channels (known as the primary and secondary). Each of these channels may contain their own master and slave devices. Therefore, a dual channel ATAPI/IDE controller may contain up to 4 devices (a master and slave pair on each channel). These 4 devices are then accessed as SCSI id 0 and 1 on each channel. Many SCSI operations translate perfectly for use on IDE. For example, read and write operations are the same. However, many SCSI disk mode pages are emulated by the IDE device driver. For example, you can display the SCSI inquiry mode pages using the following command: % scu show inq pages pages are created by the device driver to contain the long (full IDE) form of the device name, serial number, revision, and the operational modes of the device. Only a shortened version of this information is available with the standard SCSI inquiry command. Note also that the following command: % scu show pages Shows that the SCSI mode pages contain only partial information. Only that informa- tion (such as geometry) that the drive reports to the system is able to be reformatted into these emulated SCSI mode pages. Much of the information (such as RPM) is simply not available from the drive, and therefore not accurately reported. ATAPI devices are much more closely related to SCSI devices, and as such contain their own mode pages. Therefore, for these devices, the mode page values reported are those from the device, and no emulation is involved. ATAPI tape devices are not supported at this time. FILES
/dev/disk/dsk??? /dev/disk/dsk??? RELATED INFORMATION
SCSI(7), rz(7), and disklabel(8) delim off atapi_ide(7)