Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Password Less Authentication not Working After Giving Full Permission Post 303033184 by Don Cragun on Monday 1st of April 2019 07:24:40 AM
Old 04-01-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubham1182
Hello Team,
Please help me to solve my Problem,
By mistake, I give full permission to /(root) directory. by using the following command "chmod -R 777 /"
after this, the client asks for the password to login via ssh. Before that, I an able to Login without a password.
Please help me to retrieve changes.
Thank you.
You didn't just make your root directory readable, writeable, and searchable by everyone in the world; you made every file on your system readable, writeable, changeable, executable, delectable, and searchable by anyone who is able to access your system in any way shape or form.

I strongly suggest that you shut down the system as quickly as possible.

Then you can boot it up in single-user mode and try to restore your system to a stable point before you destroyed the system's self-protection capabilities by restoring everything from a recent backup dump. (You do perform regular backups, don't you?)

There is no "undo" command that can recover from you making every file on your system readable, writeable, executable, and searchable by everyone in the world!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Giving write permission to multiple directories

Hi, i am having following directory structure Folder1 -> Folder2 -> Folder3 Folder4 Folder5 Now i am at top level and want to assign write permission to all the folder & files in it. i am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run the script without giving the password.

Hi all, I need some help in my script... I need to login into multiple servers from one Unix box and need to login as a superuser account and then I need to perform some actions on the server. For this, i'll use for loop to provide the server names to the script, but for every login as a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP Files should get full permission

Hi All, Could any one please help me in performing the following? We have the following folder: /home/test/proj1 /home/test/proj2 /home/test/proj3 Users from different country places files in this folder using FTP (These users uses different flavors of FTP tools). Our... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vfrg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a file with full permission in unix script

In my script, I am creating a file ----> then writting one line (i.e. Timestamp) ----> then FTP'ing. The same script can be executed by many other users. While other users executing this script, they couldn't Over write this one line (i.e. Timestamp) My expectation So I wanted to create a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbmk_design
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute a script without giving x permission to the file?

How to execute a script with out giving x permission to the file? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing expect script giving message as bad interpreter: Permission denied

Hi Gurus, I am new to scripting and needs your help in expect script used for telnet. I wrote a simple script as #!/usr/bin/expect-5.43 -f spawn telnet localhost 2233 expect "password:" send "secret\r" send "i data.cnbc.com\r" send "exit\r" expect eof When I am trying to execute... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niks_yv
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password-less RSA Authentication not working

Hello Friends, I know this issue has been raised many times and hence I tried every resolution provided in the forum before I posted this issue again. My Password-less RSA authentication was working fine for quite some time. Whenever the remote server password used to change I used to re-do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehimadri
5 Replies

8. Solaris

User want to full root permission

hi guys.. how to give root permission for particular user tel me step by step (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolboys
2 Replies

9. Solaris

How to give full permission to a directory?

Hi, I have enabled the Apache webserver on my machime. Apache root directory is /etc/apache2 and the user in which the web server is configured is webservd,I guess. I have another user called perf. Under perf user there is /export/home/perf/v9 directory. I want to give the OS user of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikas89
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Read Only Permission after the space is full.

Hi, Is there any chance that a file system that mounted on the server becomes read only when the space in that file system becomes full? Regards, Sreejith (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreejith K
9 Replies
STRMODE(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						STRMODE(3)

NAME
strmode -- convert inode status information into a symbolic string LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> void strmode(int mode, char *bp); DESCRIPTION
The strmode() function converts a file mode (the type and permission information associated with an inode, see stat(2)) into a symbolic string which is stored in the location referenced by bp. This stored string is eleven characters in length plus a trailing NUL. The first character is the inode type, and will be one of the following: - regular file b block special c character special d directory l symbolic link p fifo s socket w whiteout ? unknown inode type The next nine characters encode three sets of permissions, in three characters each. The first three characters are the permissions for the owner of the file, the second three for the group the file belongs to, and the third for the ``other'', or default, set of users. Permission checking is done as specifically as possible. If read permission is denied to the owner of a file in the first set of permis- sions, the owner of the file will not be able to read the file. This is true even if the owner is in the file's group and the group permis- sions allow reading or the ``other'' permissions allow reading. If the first character of the three character set is an ``r'', the file is readable for that set of users; if a dash ``-'', it is not read- able. If the second character of the three character set is a ``w'', the file is writable for that set of users; if a dash ``-'', it is not writable. The third character is the first of the following characters that apply: S If the character is part of the owner permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by the owner, and the set-user-id bit is set. S If the character is part of the group permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by the group, and the set-group-id bit is set. T If the character is part of the other permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by others, and the ``sticky'' (S_ISVTX) bit is set. s If the character is part of the owner permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by the owner, and the set- user-id bit is set. s If the character is part of the group permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by the group, and the set- group-id bit is set. t If the character is part of the other permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by others, and the ``sticky'' (S_ISVTX) bit is set. x The file is executable or the directory is searchable. - None of the above apply. The last character will always be a space. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), find(1), stat(2), getmode(3), setmode(3) HISTORY
The strmode() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
July 28, 1994 BSD