Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers View a file and count all words beginning with specificletter Post 303033123 by vbe on Saturday 30th of March 2019 11:49:16 AM
Old 03-30-2019
Code:
'^[s]'

means at the beginning of the line, so the output you got is correct...

Addendum
Oh and wc -l counts the lines If you have 2 occurences on the same line it will be counted as 1...

Last edited by vbe; 03-30-2019 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: addendum

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove words beginning with a certain character from a file

Hi, how could you go about removing words that begin with a certain character. assuming that this character is '-' I currently have echo "-hello" | sed s/-/""/ which replaces the leading dash with nothing but I want to remove the whole word, even if there are multiple words beginning... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skinnygav
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in counting the no of repeated words with count in a file

Hi Pls help in solving my doubt.Iam having file like below file1.txt priya jenny jenny priya raj radhika priya bharti bharti Output required: I need a output like count of repeated words with name for ex: priya 3 jenny 2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bha148
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find out words, replace them and count words

hello, i 'd like your help about a bash script which: 1. finds inside the html file (it is attached with my post) the code number of the Latest Stable Kernel, 2.finds the link which leads to the download location of the Latest Stable Kernel version, (the right link should lead to the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex83
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count Number Of lines in text files and append values to beginning of file

Hello, I have 50 text files in a directory called "AllFiles" I want to make a program that will go inside of the "AllFiles" Directory and count the number of lines in each individual text file. Then, the program will calculate how many more lines there are over 400 in each text file and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: motoxeryz125
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

count frequency of words in a file

I need to write a shell script "cmn" that, given an integer k, print the k most common words in descending order of frequency. Example Usage: user@ubuntu:/$ cmn 4 < example.txt :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit_iitk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem to count number of words from file

hi every one i have written this simple shell for counting number of word that user need to find from file but i have get several error when run it. can someone tell me the problem ? echo "Enter the file name" read file echo "enter word" read word for i in \`cat $file` do if then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nimafire
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How count the number of two words associated with the two words occurring in the file?

Hi , I need to count the number of errors associated with the two words occurring in the file. It's about counting the occurrences of the word "error" for where is the word "index.js". As such the command should look like. Please kindly help. I was trying: grep "error" log.txt | wc -l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmarx
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count dynamic words in file

Hello, i want built a log analyzer for nginx. Okay and i use it as training for the shell tools. The most what i want i could relize. But i has trouble with dynamic things. I have the IP address extracted and has set the geo localtion for the ip. I would like to count the countries. With... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sisihagen
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add words in beginning , end after removing a word in a file

My file has the entries like below... /dev/sds /dev/sdak /dev/sdbc /dev/sdbu I want to make the file like below echo 1 > /sys/block/sds/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdak/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdbc/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdbu/device/rescan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanapandi
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count words from file

hi all how to count words from a text aaa bbb ccc ddd 123 aaa 123 aaa aaa ddd 123 i need to cout hoe many time the words "aaa" and "123" each appears the output should be 4 3 or 4 3 or aaa 4 123 3 thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharong
10 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)