Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers View a file and count all words beginning with specificletter Post 303033122 by simpsa27 on Saturday 30th of March 2019 10:41:39 AM
Old 03-30-2019
View a file and count all words beginning with specificletter

I am trying to write a command and need to count all the words within the file which begin with the letter S

I have run this command
Code:
[casupport@docvlapph005 ca]$ grep '^[s]' TheAgileApproach.dat | wc -l
[casupport@docvlapph005 ca]$ grep '^[S]' TheAgileApproach.dat | wc -l

When I remove the wc -l I see the output as below:
Code:
[casupport@docvlapph005 ca]$ grep '^[s]' TheAgileApproach.dat
[casupport@docvlapph005 ca]$ grep '^[S]' TheAgileApproach.dat
String Filter increment. The most basic implementation that can be used for all data types is shown on the far left. Each version to the right of that adds more functionality.
[casupport@docvlapph005 ca]$

As you can see in the output of point two it brings the whole line but also the word shown is included which should have picked up with the first command?

Is their something specific I am doing wrong?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove words beginning with a certain character from a file

Hi, how could you go about removing words that begin with a certain character. assuming that this character is '-' I currently have echo "-hello" | sed s/-/""/ which replaces the leading dash with nothing but I want to remove the whole word, even if there are multiple words beginning... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skinnygav
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in counting the no of repeated words with count in a file

Hi Pls help in solving my doubt.Iam having file like below file1.txt priya jenny jenny priya raj radhika priya bharti bharti Output required: I need a output like count of repeated words with name for ex: priya 3 jenny 2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bha148
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find out words, replace them and count words

hello, i 'd like your help about a bash script which: 1. finds inside the html file (it is attached with my post) the code number of the Latest Stable Kernel, 2.finds the link which leads to the download location of the Latest Stable Kernel version, (the right link should lead to the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex83
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count Number Of lines in text files and append values to beginning of file

Hello, I have 50 text files in a directory called "AllFiles" I want to make a program that will go inside of the "AllFiles" Directory and count the number of lines in each individual text file. Then, the program will calculate how many more lines there are over 400 in each text file and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: motoxeryz125
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

count frequency of words in a file

I need to write a shell script "cmn" that, given an integer k, print the k most common words in descending order of frequency. Example Usage: user@ubuntu:/$ cmn 4 < example.txt :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit_iitk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem to count number of words from file

hi every one i have written this simple shell for counting number of word that user need to find from file but i have get several error when run it. can someone tell me the problem ? echo "Enter the file name" read file echo "enter word" read word for i in \`cat $file` do if then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nimafire
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How count the number of two words associated with the two words occurring in the file?

Hi , I need to count the number of errors associated with the two words occurring in the file. It's about counting the occurrences of the word "error" for where is the word "index.js". As such the command should look like. Please kindly help. I was trying: grep "error" log.txt | wc -l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmarx
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count dynamic words in file

Hello, i want built a log analyzer for nginx. Okay and i use it as training for the shell tools. The most what i want i could relize. But i has trouble with dynamic things. I have the IP address extracted and has set the geo localtion for the ip. I would like to count the countries. With... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sisihagen
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add words in beginning , end after removing a word in a file

My file has the entries like below... /dev/sds /dev/sdak /dev/sdbc /dev/sdbu I want to make the file like below echo 1 > /sys/block/sds/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdak/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdbc/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdbu/device/rescan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanapandi
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count words from file

hi all how to count words from a text aaa bbb ccc ddd 123 aaa 123 aaa aaa ddd 123 i need to cout hoe many time the words "aaa" and "123" each appears the output should be 4 3 or 4 3 or aaa 4 123 3 thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharong
10 Replies
wc(1)							      General Commands Manual							     wc(1)

NAME
wc - count words, lines, and bytes or characters in a file SYNOPSIS
[file]... DESCRIPTION
The command counts lines, words, and bytes or characters in the named files, or in the standard input if no file names are specified. It also keeps a total count for all named files. A word is a string of characters delimited by spaces, tabs, or newlines. Options recognizes the following options: Report the number of bytes in each input file. Report the number of newline characters in each input file. Report the number of characters in each input file. Report the number of words in each input file. The and options are mutually exclusive. Otherwise, the and or options can be used in any combination to specify that a subset of lines, words, and bytes or characters are to be reported. When any option is specified, reports only the information requested. If no option is specified, the default output is When a file is specified on the command line, its name is printed along with the counts. Standard Output By default, the standard output contains an entry for each input file in the form: newlines words bytes file If the option is specified, the number of characters replaces the bytes field in this format. If any option is specified, the fields for the unspecified options are omitted. If no file operand is specified, neither the file name nor the preceding blank character is written. If more than one file operand is specified, an additional line is written at the end of the output, of the same format as the other lines, except that the word (in the POSIX locale) is written instead of a file name and the total of each column is written as appropriate. Under UNIX Standard environment, a word is a string of characters delimited by spaces, tabs, newline, carriage-return, vertical tab, or form-feed. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: Successful completion. An error occurred. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
For information about the UNIX Standard environment, see standards(5). Environment Variables determines the range of graphics and space characters, and the interpretation of text as single- and/or multibyte characters. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is null, they default to the value of If is not specified or is null, it defaults to (see lang(5)). If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, they all default to See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multibyte character code sets are supported. with a newline character, the count will be off by one. WARNINGS
The command counts the number of newlines to determine the line count. If a text file has a final line that is not terminated with a new- line character, the count will be off by one. EXAMPLES
Print the number of words and characters in The following is printed when the above command is executed: where words is the number of words and chars is the number of characters in SEE ALSO
standards(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
wc(1)