Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Delete a "G" character from df -h result Post 303033055 by RudiC on Friday 29th of March 2019 08:06:35 AM
Old 03-29-2019
Welcome to the forum.

Please stick to the rules (e.g. use code tags), and be careful and consistent when presentig your problem (e.g. df -h in the title while df -BG in the post).

For your problem, none of the two, be it df -h or df -BG, is the option of choice, as the results displayed may suffer from improper rounding effects, and you always ask yourself are those units for 2^30 or 1E9 multipliers. Use blocks or bytes instead, and calculate to taste.

To remove the G character, use awk's sub() function for every field that it applies to, e.g. sub (/G/, "", $3).
If using df -B1, try int($3/2^30+.5)

Last edited by RudiC; 03-29-2019 at 09:12 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix commands delete all files starting with "X" except "X" itself. HELP!!!!?

im a new student in programming and im stuck on this question so please please HELP ME. thanks. the question is this: enter a command to delete all files that have filenames starting with labtest, except labtest itself (delete all files startign with 'labtest' followed by one or more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soccerball
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than "x" if directory size is greater than "y"

I wrote a script to delete files which are older than "x" days, if the size of the directory is greater than "y" #!/bin/bash du -hs $1 while read SIZE ENTRY do if ; then find $1 -mtime +$2 -exec rm -f {} \; echo "Files older than $2 days deleted" else echo "free Space available"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesCarter
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to find text between a "string " and character ","

Hello everyone Sorry I have to add another sed question. I am searching a log file and need only the first 2 occurances of text which comes after (note the space) "string " and before a ",". I have tried sed -n 's/.*string \(*\),.*/\1/p' filewith some, but limited success. This gives out all... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggismn
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete characters from each line until meet character ":"

Hello, I have file that looks like this : 765327564:line1 94:line2 7865:line3 ..... 765322:linen I want to cut all the digits from the beginning of each line up to ":" character and to have everything like this : line1 line2 line3 ..... linen P.S : content of line1 ...... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find "*.c" and "Makefile" and then delete them with one line

find "*.c" and "Makefile" and then delete them with one line (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents, I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out: for filename in $(find /var/log/test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
2 Replies
delch(3XCURSES) 					  X/Open Curses Library Functions					   delch(3XCURSES)

NAME
delch, mvdelch, mvwdelch, wdelch - remove a character SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int delch(void); int mvdelch(int y, int x); int mvwdelch(WINDOW *win, int y, int x); int wdelch(WINDOW *win); DESCRIPTION
The delch() and wdelch() functions delete the character at the current cursor position from stdscr and win, respectively. All remaining characters after cursor through to the end of the line are shifted one character towards the start of the line. The last character on the line becomes a space; characters on other lines are not affected. The mvdelch() and mvwdelch() functions delete the character at the position specified by the x and y parameters; the former deletes the character from stdscr; the latter from win. PARAMETERS
y Is the y (row) coordinate of the position of the character to be removed. x Is the x (column) coordinate of the position of the character to be removed. win Is a pointer to the window containing the character to be removed. RETURN VALUES
On success, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
None. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
bkgdset(3XCURSES), insch(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Jun 2002 delch(3XCURSES)