Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX Script to clean files
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers UNIX Script to clean files Post 303032994 by stomp on Thursday 28th of March 2019 06:01:13 AM
Old 03-28-2019
Since I'm estimating that your knowledge of the unix system is very limited so far, I warn you to just delete any old unused file you can grab. Your request reminds me - at my - long time past windows times, where things had to be cleanup regularly, in order to maintain a roughly usable OS.

One should be familiar what can be files can deleted and what better not to touch. If not and if the deletions are done with root privileges, you can quite quickly render your system unusable.

So my advice: Before the learning of the knowledge how to delete is the learning of the knowledge what to delete.

So if you want help, specify your request with more details:
  • What exactly do you want to achieve?
  • What files do you want to delete?
  • What is your environment(OS, Version)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

clean up script

I have a script which would monitor a given directory and delete any files which are older than 10 days. I was going to set the 10 crob jobs to perform this operation for 10 different directories (some are actually sub-directories), but my boss doesn't like that idea, so I need to do that in one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Startup script to clean out trash can

I need to know how I would be able to clean out the trash can of a single "dumb" user every time the MAC is turned on. Back ground. OS 10.3x G3 Mac Two users configured... 1) Root or Admin (superuser) 2) student (Simple no access to anything but shared folder for files etc.) The problem... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrek
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Space Clean Up Activity In Unix

Hi I am trying to develop a script so that whenever used % reaches 90% it will send an alert mail. Following is the script whic I am tryiing to implement but it show some error. code: #! /bin/ksh df -v | grep -i "/opt" | awk '{print $6}' > space if ] then echo "ALERT YOUR SPACE IS TOO... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clean old log files

Hi, I want to remove old log files (more than 7 days log files), rest of the logs should be present on my Linux box. could some one please give me any thoughts. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marmam
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clean this script?

Hello guys, this script partially works but it's still pretty ugly and, moreover, if the month is jan/feb/mar... it doesn't work at all. Could anyone say me how to correct, cut and clean a little bit? #!/usr/bin/ksh egrep -v -e "^\s*#" /file/permission | awk '{ print $1 }' | sort | uniq... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

noob question - is awk the tool to clean dirty text files?

Hi, nevermind. I think I've found the answer. It appears I was looking for index, match, sub, and gsub. I want to write a shell script that will clean the html out of a bunch of files and format the data for import into excel. Awk seems like a powerful tool, but it seems oriented to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yogert909
1 Replies

7. Solaris

to clean unnecessary files and folders

I want to clean used solaris OS and then to give another developer. How can I understand that difference between system file/folder and others. I want to delete apart from the files/folders. I need tools or scripts like disk-cleanup or something like that. #usr>du -s -h * 6.6M 4lib ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: getrue
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to FTP,clean up and email

Hi i need a unix script to do the following tasks. My folder structure is /home/MSTR/test and will have the following folder within it Cache Lookup Source Target 1. On the Source & Target folder i have to take a copy of files older than 5 days and move(FTP) it into local machines C:\Backup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clean up UNIX mail box using script

Hi, I would like to clean up by unix mail mail box thru some script command.. I do know how to delete from mail box ... e.g. $ mail ? d* ? quit But I need to clean up thru some command which I can use in my script before sending any email.. Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clean 3 days before files, from a directory?

I have a Solaris System. I am using bash shell. I want to prepare a script which can do the below. There are few directories i need to clean. In those directories, I need to delete files which are older than 3 days. 3 days before files need to be deleted. The directories are as follows.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saidul
7 Replies
delete(n)                                                           [incr Tcl]                                                           delete(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
delete - delete things in the interpreter SYNOPSIS
itcl::delete option ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The delete command is used to delete things in the interpreter. It is implemented as an ensemble, so extensions can add their own options and extend the behavior of this command. By default, the delete command handles the destruction of namespaces. The option argument determines what action is carried out by the command. The legal options (which may be abbreviated) are: delete class name ?name...? Deletes one or more [incr Tcl] classes called name. This deletes all objects in the class, and all derived classes as well. If an error is encountered while destructing an object, it will prevent the destruction of the class and any remaining objects. To destroy the entire class without regard for errors, use the "delete namespace" command. delete object name ?name...? Deletes one or more [incr Tcl] objects called name. An object is deleted by invoking all destructors in its class hierarchy, in order from most- to least-specific. If all destructors are successful, data associated with the object is deleted and the name is removed as a command from the interpreter. If the access command for an object resides in another namespace, then its qualified name can be used: itcl::delete object foo::bar::x If an error is encountered while destructing an object, the delete command is aborted and the object remains alive. To destroy an object without regard for errors, use the "rename" command to destroy the object access command. delete namespace name ?name...? Deletes one or more namespaces called name. This deletes all commands and variables in the namespace, and deletes all child names- paces as well. When a namespace is deleted, it is automatically removed from the import lists of all other namespaces. KEYWORDS
namespace, proc, variable, ensemble itcl 3.0 delete(n)