Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX Script to clean files
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers UNIX Script to clean files Post 303032989 by vbe on Thursday 28th of March 2019 03:54:09 AM
Old 03-28-2019
Doing it in windows means for most relying on GUI and not knowing there are utilities behind being used, though you have a "powershell" and command line /script option... in Unix you could find some GUI but most people learn to use the commands/utilities and keep GUI for sophisticated tasks...
I suggest you have a look at the man pages of find, start to elaborate your script and show us what you have done, then we can help you out or explain what is needed
If you dont know how to write the script then you should start by its design, and show us a form of pseudocode, we can discuss on, we then will help you put it down in shell script

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

clean up script

I have a script which would monitor a given directory and delete any files which are older than 10 days. I was going to set the 10 crob jobs to perform this operation for 10 different directories (some are actually sub-directories), but my boss doesn't like that idea, so I need to do that in one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Startup script to clean out trash can

I need to know how I would be able to clean out the trash can of a single "dumb" user every time the MAC is turned on. Back ground. OS 10.3x G3 Mac Two users configured... 1) Root or Admin (superuser) 2) student (Simple no access to anything but shared folder for files etc.) The problem... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrek
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Space Clean Up Activity In Unix

Hi I am trying to develop a script so that whenever used % reaches 90% it will send an alert mail. Following is the script whic I am tryiing to implement but it show some error. code: #! /bin/ksh df -v | grep -i "/opt" | awk '{print $6}' > space if ] then echo "ALERT YOUR SPACE IS TOO... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clean old log files

Hi, I want to remove old log files (more than 7 days log files), rest of the logs should be present on my Linux box. could some one please give me any thoughts. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marmam
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clean this script?

Hello guys, this script partially works but it's still pretty ugly and, moreover, if the month is jan/feb/mar... it doesn't work at all. Could anyone say me how to correct, cut and clean a little bit? #!/usr/bin/ksh egrep -v -e "^\s*#" /file/permission | awk '{ print $1 }' | sort | uniq... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

noob question - is awk the tool to clean dirty text files?

Hi, nevermind. I think I've found the answer. It appears I was looking for index, match, sub, and gsub. I want to write a shell script that will clean the html out of a bunch of files and format the data for import into excel. Awk seems like a powerful tool, but it seems oriented to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yogert909
1 Replies

7. Solaris

to clean unnecessary files and folders

I want to clean used solaris OS and then to give another developer. How can I understand that difference between system file/folder and others. I want to delete apart from the files/folders. I need tools or scripts like disk-cleanup or something like that. #usr>du -s -h * 6.6M 4lib ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: getrue
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to FTP,clean up and email

Hi i need a unix script to do the following tasks. My folder structure is /home/MSTR/test and will have the following folder within it Cache Lookup Source Target 1. On the Source & Target folder i have to take a copy of files older than 5 days and move(FTP) it into local machines C:\Backup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clean up UNIX mail box using script

Hi, I would like to clean up by unix mail mail box thru some script command.. I do know how to delete from mail box ... e.g. $ mail ? d* ? quit But I need to clean up thru some command which I can use in my script before sending any email.. Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clean 3 days before files, from a directory?

I have a Solaris System. I am using bash shell. I want to prepare a script which can do the below. There are few directories i need to clean. In those directories, I need to delete files which are older than 3 days. 3 days before files need to be deleted. The directories are as follows.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saidul
7 Replies
DKOPP(1)							  Dkopp man page							  DKOPP(1)

NAME
Dkopp - copy files to DVD or BD (Blue-ray) media SYNOPSIS
dkopp [ -job | -run ] jobfile dkopp [ -nogui ] -script scriptfile DESCRIPTION
Dkopp copies files to backup DVD or BD media. It supports full or incremental backups and full or incremental media verification. OVERVIEW
Dkopp is a menu-driven GUI (GTK) program operating in its own window. Dkopp copies files and directories specified in a job file to DVD or BD media. Dkopp can copy all files to empty media (full copy), or only new and modified files to previously used media (incremental). Files and directories to include or exclude can be selected from the file system hierarchy using a GUI navigator. Specifications are saved in a job file which can be re-edited and re-used. Script files can be run in batch mode using the -nogui option. Dkopp can be used to select and restore files previously copied, and owner and permission data is also restored. The DVD/BD media can also be accessed with file system tools like Nautilus. Dkopp supports the following functionalities: - Three backup modes: full, incremental, accumulate. - Three media verification modes: full, incremental, thorough. - Use write-once or re-writable DVD or BD media (but not CD). - Report disk:backup differences in detail or summary form. - Select and restore files from a backup copy (or use drag and drop). - Search log files to find media where specified files are saved. OPTIONS
Command line options: [ -job ] jobfile open job file for editing -run jobfile execute a job file [ -nogui ] -script scriptfile execute a script file SEE ALSO
The online user manual is available using the menu Help > contents. This manual explains Dkopp operation in great detail. Dkopp uses the batch programs grwoisofs and genisoimage. Dkopp is essentially a GUI front-end for these programs. AUTHORS
Written by Mike Cornelison <kornelix2@googlemail.com> Linux 2010-10-01 DKOPP(1)