Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Why does this example C code run and yet SHOULD either not compile or give a segmentation fault? Post 303032986 by nezabudka on Thursday 28th of March 2019 01:50:51 AM
Old 03-28-2019
Hi,
I do not quite understand what the problem is. But a walk in the GDB will not be amiss
Code:
gcc -O0 -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -S test.c
gcc -g test.s

I always create a file
cat sc
Code:
file a.out
b main
r
tui enable
la src 
la r
fs p

Open next terminal
Code:
tty
/dev/pts/2

Return to the first and run GDB
Code:
gdb -x sc -tty /dev/pts/2

And go through the program
Code:
(gdb) next

maybe this will helpful
Why does this example C code run and yet SHOULD either not compile or give a segmentation fault?-unix_wisecrackerpng

Last edited by nezabudka; 03-28-2019 at 02:56 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to nezabudka For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation Fault

hello all, I tried a program on an array to intialise array elements from the standard input device.it is an integer array of 5 elements.but after entering the 4th element it throws a message called "Segmentation Fault" and returns to the command prompt without asking for the 5th element. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
3 Replies

2. AIX

Segmentation fault in nsgetcinfo in aix 64-bit c code

Hello, I am running on a AIX5.2 server with Oracle 10g and 9i. My code compiles and works fine in 32-bit mode. The same code compiles in 64-bit and runs good. The program catches CNTRL-C signal to terminate. Only on 64-bit code when i hit CNTRL-C, the program exits with segmentation... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh0710
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compile & Run Java Code

The java program is a part of speech tagger -> The Stanford NLP (Natural Language Processing) Group The goal is to use this script as part of a webpage to tag parts of speech based on a user-inputted string. I have no idea what to do with the files - I'm a complete *nix noob. I tried running... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tguillea
4 Replies

4. Programming

Segmentation fault.

I'm getting a segmentation fault. I'm new to Linux programming. Thanks so much for all of your input.:eek: #include </usr/include/mysql++/mysql++.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <iostream> #include <sstream> #include <string.h> using namespace std; int outputToImport(const char*... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sepoto
1 Replies

5. Programming

C code : Segmentation fault

Hi Friends, I have written a small code in C which performs the below operations Task : 1 ) read line by line from a file. 2 ) assuming 3th and 4th fields of the file as GN and GNTO 3 ) The target file should contain all the fields except GNTO. 4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_bhatter
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

segmentation fault with ps

What does this mean and why is this happening? $ ps -ef | grep ocular Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ ps -ef | grep ocular Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ ps aux | grep ocular Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ ps Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ pkill okular $ ps... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

7. Programming

Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault

I use a binary name (ie polo) it gets some parameter , so for debugging normally i do this : i wrote script for watchdog my app (polo) and check every second if it's not running then start it , the problem is , if my app , remain in state of segmentation fault for a while (ie 15 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
6 Replies

8. Programming

This code keeps giving me a segmentation fault why?

#include<stdlib.h> #include <pthread.h> #include "tlpi_hdr.h" #include <stdio.h> static volatile int glob = 0; static struct { pthread_t t1,t2; } *thread; static void * /* Loop 'arg' times incrementing 'glob' */ threadFunc(void *arg) { int loops = *((int *) arg); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Segmentation fault

Hi Guys, I just installed and booted a zone called testzone. When I logged in remotely and tried changing to root user I get this error: "Segmentation fault" Can someone please help me resolve this? Thanks alot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
2 Replies

10. Programming

C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question.

Oddities with gcc, 2.95.3 for the AMIGA and 4.2.1 for MY current OSX 10.14.1... I am creating a basic calculator for the AMIGA ADE *NIX emulator in C as it does not have one. Below are two very condensed snippets of which I have added the results inside the each code section. IMPORTANT!... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies