Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX Script to clean files
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers UNIX Script to clean files Post 303032984 by wert468 on Wednesday 27th of March 2019 11:22:16 PM
Old 03-28-2019
UNIX Script to clean files

Hello All,

I need a script that would delete files which are more than "X" number of days old, also if there can be a log file of the deleted files for reference.

I am from windows background hence finding it difficult. Any help is much appreciated

Regards
Wert

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

clean up script

I have a script which would monitor a given directory and delete any files which are older than 10 days. I was going to set the 10 crob jobs to perform this operation for 10 different directories (some are actually sub-directories), but my boss doesn't like that idea, so I need to do that in one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Startup script to clean out trash can

I need to know how I would be able to clean out the trash can of a single "dumb" user every time the MAC is turned on. Back ground. OS 10.3x G3 Mac Two users configured... 1) Root or Admin (superuser) 2) student (Simple no access to anything but shared folder for files etc.) The problem... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrek
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Space Clean Up Activity In Unix

Hi I am trying to develop a script so that whenever used % reaches 90% it will send an alert mail. Following is the script whic I am tryiing to implement but it show some error. code: #! /bin/ksh df -v | grep -i "/opt" | awk '{print $6}' > space if ] then echo "ALERT YOUR SPACE IS TOO... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clean old log files

Hi, I want to remove old log files (more than 7 days log files), rest of the logs should be present on my Linux box. could some one please give me any thoughts. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marmam
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clean this script?

Hello guys, this script partially works but it's still pretty ugly and, moreover, if the month is jan/feb/mar... it doesn't work at all. Could anyone say me how to correct, cut and clean a little bit? #!/usr/bin/ksh egrep -v -e "^\s*#" /file/permission | awk '{ print $1 }' | sort | uniq... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

noob question - is awk the tool to clean dirty text files?

Hi, nevermind. I think I've found the answer. It appears I was looking for index, match, sub, and gsub. I want to write a shell script that will clean the html out of a bunch of files and format the data for import into excel. Awk seems like a powerful tool, but it seems oriented to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yogert909
1 Replies

7. Solaris

to clean unnecessary files and folders

I want to clean used solaris OS and then to give another developer. How can I understand that difference between system file/folder and others. I want to delete apart from the files/folders. I need tools or scripts like disk-cleanup or something like that. #usr>du -s -h * 6.6M 4lib ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: getrue
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to FTP,clean up and email

Hi i need a unix script to do the following tasks. My folder structure is /home/MSTR/test and will have the following folder within it Cache Lookup Source Target 1. On the Source & Target folder i have to take a copy of files older than 5 days and move(FTP) it into local machines C:\Backup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clean up UNIX mail box using script

Hi, I would like to clean up by unix mail mail box thru some script command.. I do know how to delete from mail box ... e.g. $ mail ? d* ? quit But I need to clean up thru some command which I can use in my script before sending any email.. Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clean 3 days before files, from a directory?

I have a Solaris System. I am using bash shell. I want to prepare a script which can do the below. There are few directories i need to clean. In those directories, I need to delete files which are older than 3 days. 3 days before files need to be deleted. The directories are as follows.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saidul
7 Replies
CYR_EXPIRE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     CYR_EXPIRE(8)

NAME
cyr_expire - expire messages and duplicate delivery database entries SYNOPSIS
cyr_expire [ -C config-file ] [ -D delete-days ] -E expire-days [ -X expunge-days ] [ -p mailbox-prefix ] [ -v ] DESCRIPTION
Cyr_expire is used to expire messages and duplicate delivery database entries. Cyr_expire also cleanses mailboxes of partially expunged messages (when using the "delayed" expunge mode). The expiration of messages is controlled by the /vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/expire mailbox annotation which specifies the age (in days) of messages in the given mailbox that should be deleted. Any duplicate delivery database entries which correspond to the mailbox are also deleted at the same frequency. The value of the /vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/expire annotation is inherited by all children of the given mailbox, so an entire mailbox tree can be expired by seting a single annotation on the root of that tree. If a mailbox does not have a /vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/expire annotation set on it (or does not inherit one), then no messages are expired from the mailbox. Cyr_expire reads its configuration options out of the imapd.conf(5) file unless specified otherwise by -C. OPTIONS
-C config-file Read configuration options from config-file. -D delete-days Remove previously deleted mailboxes older than delete-days (when using the "delayed" delete mode). -E expire-days Prune the duplicate database of entries older than expire-days. This value is only used for entries which do not have a correspond- ing /vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/expire mailbox annotation. -X expunge-days Expunge previously deleted messages older than expunge-days (when using the "delayed" expunge mode). -x Do not expunge messages even if using delayed expunge mode (reduces the IO hit considerably, allowing you to run cyr_expire fre- quently to clean up the duplicate database without overloading your server) -p mailbox-prefix Only find mailboxes starting with this prefix. e.g. "user.justgotspammedlots" -v Enable verbose output. -a Skip the annotation lookup, so all /vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/expire annotations are ignored entirely. It behaves as if they were not set, so only expire-days is considered for all mailboxes. FILES
/etc/imapd.conf SEE ALSO
imapd.conf(5), master(8) CMU
Project Cyrus CYR_EXPIRE(8)