Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Why does this example C code run and yet SHOULD either not compile or give a segmentation fault? Post 303032978 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 27th of March 2019 06:33:32 PM
Old 03-27-2019
This is basically another way to do the undefined operation thing.

asm:
Not part of standard C, so whatever asm does is implementation defined, i.e., the people who wrote gcc
Since it's not mentioned in ISO C standard (n1570 draft-- C2011), but mentioned in annex J (common extensions):

Quote:
J.5.10 The asm keyword

1 The asm keyword may be used to insert assembly language directly into the translator output (6.8). The most common implementation is via a statement of the form:

asm ( character-string-literal );
Annex J is informative, not normative, so an implementation need not provide inline assembly, and if it does it's not prescribed in which form. But it's a widespread extension, though not portable since compilers do indeed implement it differently.

In the C++ standard (n3376 draft of the C++11 standard), it is NOT mentioned in the body of the standard.

Quote:
7.4 The asm declaration [dcl.asm]

1 An asm declaration has the form

asm-definition:

asm ( string-literal ) ;

The asm declaration is conditionally-supported; its meaning is implementation-defined. [ Note: Typically it is used to pass information through the implementation to an assembler. - end note ]
I think Rudi correct. Try using return statements. That return values used by the calling code. Other than learning what not to do for reasonable code, what does this do for you? If you had not asked here your might have accidentally created a horrible bug in a piece of code that you thought was okay. It's okay with me, but it does not seem all that helpful....

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 03-28-2019 at 12:06 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation Fault

hello all, I tried a program on an array to intialise array elements from the standard input device.it is an integer array of 5 elements.but after entering the 4th element it throws a message called "Segmentation Fault" and returns to the command prompt without asking for the 5th element. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
3 Replies

2. AIX

Segmentation fault in nsgetcinfo in aix 64-bit c code

Hello, I am running on a AIX5.2 server with Oracle 10g and 9i. My code compiles and works fine in 32-bit mode. The same code compiles in 64-bit and runs good. The program catches CNTRL-C signal to terminate. Only on 64-bit code when i hit CNTRL-C, the program exits with segmentation... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh0710
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compile & Run Java Code

The java program is a part of speech tagger -> The Stanford NLP (Natural Language Processing) Group The goal is to use this script as part of a webpage to tag parts of speech based on a user-inputted string. I have no idea what to do with the files - I'm a complete *nix noob. I tried running... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tguillea
4 Replies

4. Programming

Segmentation fault.

I'm getting a segmentation fault. I'm new to Linux programming. Thanks so much for all of your input.:eek: #include </usr/include/mysql++/mysql++.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <iostream> #include <sstream> #include <string.h> using namespace std; int outputToImport(const char*... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sepoto
1 Replies

5. Programming

C code : Segmentation fault

Hi Friends, I have written a small code in C which performs the below operations Task : 1 ) read line by line from a file. 2 ) assuming 3th and 4th fields of the file as GN and GNTO 3 ) The target file should contain all the fields except GNTO. 4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_bhatter
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

segmentation fault with ps

What does this mean and why is this happening? $ ps -ef | grep ocular Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ ps -ef | grep ocular Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ ps aux | grep ocular Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ ps Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ pkill okular $ ps... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

7. Programming

Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault

I use a binary name (ie polo) it gets some parameter , so for debugging normally i do this : i wrote script for watchdog my app (polo) and check every second if it's not running then start it , the problem is , if my app , remain in state of segmentation fault for a while (ie 15 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
6 Replies

8. Programming

This code keeps giving me a segmentation fault why?

#include<stdlib.h> #include <pthread.h> #include "tlpi_hdr.h" #include <stdio.h> static volatile int glob = 0; static struct { pthread_t t1,t2; } *thread; static void * /* Loop 'arg' times incrementing 'glob' */ threadFunc(void *arg) { int loops = *((int *) arg); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Segmentation fault

Hi Guys, I just installed and booted a zone called testzone. When I logged in remotely and tried changing to root user I get this error: "Segmentation fault" Can someone please help me resolve this? Thanks alot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
2 Replies

10. Programming

C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question.

Oddities with gcc, 2.95.3 for the AMIGA and 4.2.1 for MY current OSX 10.14.1... I am creating a basic calculator for the AMIGA ADE *NIX emulator in C as it does not have one. Below are two very condensed snippets of which I have added the results inside the each code section. IMPORTANT!... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies
z88dk(1)							z88 Development Kit							  z88dk(1)

NAME
z88dk - The z88 Development Kit. DESCRIPTION
The z88 Development Kit (hereafter known as z88dk) is an advanced set of tools allowing the production of complex programs for z80 based computers in either C or assembly language. The name z88dk originates from the time when the project was founded and targetted only the Cambridge z88 portable. The compiler featured in z88dk is much enhanced Small C compiler, the compiler accepts many features of ANSI C and is only deficient in a few areas where implementation on a z80 processor might prove inefficient. The compiler performs simple optimizations, but the bulk of the optimization is done by a set of peep-hole rules, which will typically reduce the size of a large project by up to a third. The libraries supplied with z88dk are designed to be as generic as possible, indeed it is possible to port to a new machine simply by supplying two library routines and some startup code. It is hoped that one day z88dk will support as many z80 based machines as there is information available and sufficient interest in. z88dk contains usable tools: o zcc - the frontend of z88dk is called zcc, it is this that you should call if you want to do any compilations. o z80asm - Z80 assembler compiler o copt - Z80 asm optimizer code o appmake - produce files which are suitable for use in emulators or on the real hardware o sccz80 - Small-C/Plus compiler SEE ALSO
z88dk(1), z88dk-zcc(1), z88dk-z80asm(1), z88dk-appmake(1), z88dk-copt(1). AUTHOR
z88dk was written by Dominic Morris <dom@z88dk.org>, and others. This manual page was written by Krystian Wlosek <tygrys@waw.pdi.net> using exists documentation, for the Debian GNU/Linux system. 01 December 2009 z88dk(1)