Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Explanation of Nawk command
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Explanation of Nawk command Post 303032949 by RudiC on Wednesday 27th of March 2019 05:34:08 AM
Old 03-27-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirans.229
Code:
{s=s sep $2; sep="|"; next} $0~s {c++} END {print c+0}

In the above, where is it mentioned that it is a 'comma' separated field.
Nowhere. -F, sets the field separator.

Quote:
what does 'sep' denotes here. sep="|" i was thinking that it is a pipe separator.
That's a variable name, and yes, it's intended to be used a separator

Quote:
and what does s=s denotes here ?
It a variable assignment, but incompletely quoted. s=s sep $2 is the complete one, assigning the concatenation of s'(old) value, sep, and field two to (new) s .

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command explanation needed

Hi, Could you please explain me the below statement -- phrase wise. sed -e :a -e '$q;N;'$cnt',$D;ba' abc.txt > xyz.txt if suppose $cnt contains value: 10 it copies last 9 lines of abc.txt to xyz.txt why it is copying last 9 rather than 10. and also what is ba and $D over there in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbukns
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

command line explanation

Hello everyone, I found this command line in a website: perl -pi.bak -we's/\z/Your new line\n/ if $. == 2;' your_text_file.txt With this command line you can insert a new line anywhere you want in a text without overwriting what's in it. -p causes perl to assume a loop around your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goude
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk code explanation

Hi I have a line/command which greps certain pattern () from the file and 22 lines AFTER that: nawk '/\/{c=22}c&&c--' input_file Can somebody explain the coding in this command (what " c&&c-- " does)? and how to modify this command to output 22 lines BEFORE this pattern () Thanks a lot ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED command explanation

can someone please explain the below sed command.. sed 's/\(*|\)\(.*\)/\2\1/' (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu_shekar
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of NAWK Code

Hi all, I need your help in understanding the meaning and syntax of the below nawk line. Here is an extract of a script which I use daily and works well. The script extracts the hostnames and messages within a syslog file. I would also like to extract the message time in the 3rd column by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wthomas
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed sorting command explanation

sed '$!N; /^\(.*\)\n\1$/!P; D' i found this file which removes duplicates irrespective for sorted or unsorted file. keep first occurance and remove the further occurances. can any1 explain how this is working.. i need to remove duplicates following file. duplicate criteria is not the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukeshguliao
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

command explanation

can anyone please tell me what does this expression means , i am under probation and need some explanation :) $AUDIT_DIR -type f -mtime +$AUDIT_EXPIRE \ -exec rm {} > /dev/null 2>&1 \; AUDIT_DIR="/var/log/" AUDIT_EXPIRE='30' Please use code tags! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: semaan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need explanation a of command in linux

Hi All I ran a script in Linux. In the script i have lines like && echo "Failed: Missing ${CM_ENV_FILE} \n" && return 1 . ${CM_ENV_FILE} Where CM_ENV_FILE = /data/ds/dpr_ebicm_uat//etl/cm3_0/entities/BBME/parameters/cm.env But its taking this path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vee_789
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of the sort command

Hi everyone, I am wondering if someone could please break down and explain the following sort command for me: ls ${DEST_LOCATION}/${FILES} | sort -rt -k 4,4n | head -1 I have tried working it out using 'man sort', but on AIX there is not a great explanation of this function. I know that... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command explanation

Will someone give me an explanation on how the sed command below works. sed 's/.*//' Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
3 Replies
TCATEST(1)							   Tokyo Cabinet							TCATEST(1)

NAME
tcamgr - the command line utility of the abstract database API DESCRIPTION
The command `tcamgr' is a utility for test and debugging of the abstract database API and its applications. `name' specifies the name of a database. `key' specifies the key of a record. `value' specifies the value of a record. `params' specifies the tuning parameters. `func' specifies the name of a function. `arg' specifies the arguments of the function. `dest' specifies the path of the destination file. tcamgr create name Create a database file. tcamgr inform name Print miscellaneous information to the standard output. tcamgr put [-sx] [-sep chr] [-dk|-dc|-dai|-dad] name key value Store a record. tcamgr out [-sx] [-sep chr] name key Remove a record. tcamgr get [-sx] [-sep chr] [-px] [-pz] name key Print the value of a record. tcamgr list [-sep chr] [-m num] [-pv] [-px] [-fm str] name Print keys of all records, separated by line feeds. tcamgr optimize name params Optimize a database file. tcamgr misc [-sx] [-sep chr] [-px] name func [arg...] Call a versatile function for miscellaneous operations. tcamgr map [-fm str] name dest Map records into another B+ tree database. tcamgr version Print the version information of Tokyo Cabinet. Options feature the following. -sx : the input data is evaluated as a hexadecimal data string. -sep chr : specify the separator of the input data. -dk : use the function `tcadbputkeep' instead of `tcadbput'. -dc : use the function `tcadbputcat' instead of `tcadbput'. -dai : use the function `tcadbaddint' instead of `tcadbput'. -dad : use the function `tcadbadddouble' instead of `tcadbput'. -px : the output data is converted into a hexadecimal data string. -pz : do not append line feed at the end of the output. -m num : specify the maximum number of the output. -pv : print values of records also. -fm str : specify the prefix of keys. This command returns 0 on success, another on failure. SEE ALSO
tcatest(1), tcamttest(1), tcadb(3), tokyocabinet(3) Man Page 2011-02-12 TCATEST(1)