Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [bash] why my variable is not updated? Post 303032931 by soichiro on Tuesday 26th of March 2019 11:54:14 PM
Old 03-27-2019
[bash] why my variable is not updated?

Does anyone know why the below script is not working? Why is not the variable tot_files updated?

Code:
location=$1
cd "$location"

tot_files=0

(
    echo ""
    # recursively gets the total number of files
    tot_files=$(for t in files ; do echo `find . -type ${t:0:1} | wc -l` $t | cut -f1 -d" "; done 2> /dev/null) & 
) | wait ${!} | yad --progress --pulsate --progress-text="" --center --title="title" --text="Please wait... Reading files..." --no-buttons --no-escape --width=300 --height=200

echo "tot_files: " $tot_files

I would like to show a yad (zenity alternative) window that says to the user to wait until all the files in $1 have been counted.
That's why I used wait ${!} but I am not sure I have used in the right way.

Last edited by soichiro; 03-27-2019 at 01:02 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using the value of one variable to name another variable (in bash)

Hello all, I'm working on a script, and as part of it, I'm trying to create a loop that will run through a stored piece of information a certain number of times pulling out information, and each time create a variable with a unique name that will store that information. I'm sure it's a simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash]variable does not keep its value

Hello all, I have this shell script, but do not understand why the variables inside the if block does not keep its value outside. Is it because of the pipe ? How can i fix this problem ? Thank you for helping. local alarm="" local num_alarm=0 local -a alarms ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trickstar
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - Variable made of variable

Hello, I am struggling with using variable made using "eval". a=4 eval b$a=20 echo $b$a ??? As shown above, I am trying to call back the variable "bX" assuming I do not know the value of "a". How can I do that? I tried several combinations but nothing worked. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
10 Replies

6. Programming

pthread question : global variable not updated

Hi, I wrote the following program to understand mutexes. If I run the program , number of threads is shown as zero, even after creating one thread. When running with gdb, it works fine. The function process is used to update global variable (used to keep track of threads). It looks like the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjayc
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use variable in bash

$ p="1 2 5 8" $ set -- $p $ echo $3 5 $ k=3 $ echo \$${k} $3 I want the "echo \$${k}" to get the output 5 , how to modify ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable in bash help

#aa=xxxx #zz="cc $aa" #aa=gggg #echo $zz out put is cc xxxx if I want to get cc gggg how should I do, I don't want to write zz="c $aa " after aa=gggg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable within variable

Hello, Can I ask how to expand variable that contains another in bash? I need to loop variable within another one like this: RD1=testgrp RD2=testgroup RD3=testgroupfile RD4=tstgroup ... RD40=try2013 DEST=/home/king/finaldir for i in {1..40}; do mv ${RD${i}} ${DEST} done I do not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Variable gets auto updated after function execution

Hi Team In the below code, irrespective of the if statement that gets executed, retcd is being assigned a standard value(1) instead of changing as per code. Could you please help to see where is it going wrong. rval=0 CONF_FILE=/apps/wmroot/scripts/props/UMPath.properties NOHUP="nohup"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishshankar
3 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)