Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Long time to boot RHEV guest Linux VM. Post 303032929 by Paras Pandey on Tuesday 26th of March 2019 09:55:34 PM
Old 03-26-2019
Long time to boot RHEV guest Linux VM.

Trying to investigate on long boot time of a linux guest in RHEV Host.

Before executing init 6/reboot command , I noticed the time of shutdown and also recorded the time after boot .

It takes around 20-25 mins in booting.

In boot logs I can find the time stamps for the very first event is '18:14:38' , it is almost one minutes difference from the time after boot.

dev]$ date

Mon Feb 25 18:15:50 HKT 2019

From the serial console I see below output before shutdown n after boot:

Quote:
Feb 25 17:50:35 Bdata-2 sudo: admusr : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/admusr ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/reboot

Feb 25 17:51:08 Bdata-2 kernel: Kernel logging (proc) stopped.

Feb 25 17:51:08 Bdata-2 rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="5.8.10" x-pid="2715" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] exiting on signal 15.

Feb 25 18:14:35 Bdata-2 kernel: imklog 5.8.10, log source = /proc/kmsg started.

Feb 25 18:14:35 Bdata-2 rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="5.8.10" x-pid="2651" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] start
For this 25 mins of window , I cant find any logs/events that indicates the reason for such a delay in boot.

Could anyone help here on what should I investigate to narrow down the cause of the issue?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

linux will not boot, boot to grub prompt

my redhat 9 will not boot. We had a power failure and when the power came back, my redhat linux will not boot. The machine come up to grub prompt. I tried the following from grub prompt root (hd0, then press tab key partition num:0 filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x83... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help - exec time too long

Dear everyone... thanks to this forum I am able to do everyday more and more complex scripts...but now I come up with problem with optimisation.. problem 1 - optimise: here is my code: while read number do nawk -F "|" -v... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulaziz
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Job is taking long time

Hi , We have 20 jobs are scheduled. In that one of our job is taking long time ,it's not completing. If we are not terminating it's running infinity time actually the job completion time is 5 minutes. The job is deleting some records from the table and two insert statements and one select... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaykumarkona
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How long ago since time - Using perl

echo "1337124526" | perl -pe 's/(\d+)/easttime($1)/e' the above gives a date and time. how can i subtract the date and time given by this command, from the current present date? can this be a one liner or as close to a one-liner as possible? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

5. Linux

Unable to ping Linux guest from win7 host

Hi, I am using win7 on my PC and installed VMware on it on which i am running linux I am unable to ping my linux guest from my win machine, but i can ping my windows host from linux guest : Below is my system configuration Linux root@localhost ~]# ifconfig eth0 Link... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chander_1987
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VMware Solaris Guest - How do I boot from CD?

Hello, I have a Solaris 10 x86 VM and I am trying to access the Solaris install menu. I have the ISO set to connect on startup, and I can see that it is mounted in my system. But when I power on the VM, the GRUB menu comes up and I only have the option of booting Solaris. Also I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Qemu Problems: OpenBSD(host) Kali Linux(guest)

As the title suggests I ran into a little problem trying to create a virtual machine of Kali Linux usign Qemu inside OpenBSD. I edited the example Kali Linux gave on their website here to the following for BSD: qemu-system-i386 -hda ./kali.qcow2 -boot d -cdrom ./kali-linux-1.0.5-i386.iso -m... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
0 Replies

8. SCO

Sco UNIX wont boot - long beeps

HI All, I have an old SCO-UNIX machine which I support a long standing client / friend with. I don't use it very often, and is kept switched off. All was well 2 weeks ago, but when I tried to boot today all I get is a continuous set of long beeps but no booting. I have checked inside... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy sleight
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

First script in a long time

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my script to grab time from our MDM... I blocked out all of the important stuff. I really appreciate any guidance, since I am long out of practice. #!/bin/bash serial=$1 # get last seen value of ipad lastseen=$(curl -s -X "GET"... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: andysensible
11 Replies
VIRT-WHO(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       VIRT-WHO(8)

NAME
virt-who - Agent for reporting virtual guest IDs to Subscription Asset Manager. SYNOPSIS
virt-who [-d] [-i INTERVAL] [-b] [-o] [--sam|--satellite] [--libvirt|--vdsm|--esx|--rhevm|--hyperv] OPTIONS
-h, --help show this help message and exit -d, --debug Enable debugging output -b, --background Run in the background and monitor virtual guests -o, --one-shot Send the list of guest IDs and exit immediately -i INTERVAL, --interval=INTERVAL Acquire and send list of virtual guest each N seconds Virtualization backend Choose virtualization backend that should be used to gather host/guest associations --libvirt Use libvirt to list virtual guests [default] --vdsm Use vdsm to list virtual guests --esx Register ESX machines using vCenter --rhevm Register guests using RHEV-M --hyperv Register guests using Hyper-V Subscription manager Choose where the host/guest associations should be reported --sam Report host/guest associations to the Subscription Asset Manager [default] --satellite Report host/guest associations to the Satellite vCenter/ESX options Use this options with --esx --esx-owner=OWNER Organization who has purchased subscriptions of the products --esx-env=ENV Environment where the vCenter server belongs to --esx-server=SERVER URL of the vCenter server to connect to --esx-username=USERNAME Username for connecting to vCenter --esx-password=PASSWORD Password for connecting to vCenter RHEV-M options Use this options with --rhevm --rhevm-owner=OWNER Organization who has purchased subscriptions of the products --rhevm-env=ENV Environment where the RHEV-M belongs to --rhevm-server=SERVER URL of the RHEV-M server to connect to --rhevm-username=USERNAME Username for connecting to RHEV-M --rhevm-password=PASSWORD Password for connecting to RHEV-M Hyper-V options Use this options with --hyperv --hyperv-owner=OWNER Organization who has purchased subscriptions of the products --hyperv-env=ENV Environment where the Hyper-V belongs to --hyperv-server=SERVER URL of the Hyper-V server to connect to --hyperv-username=USERNAME Username for connecting to Hyper-V --hyperv-password=PASSWORD Password for connecting to Hyper-V Satellite options: Use this options with --satellite --satellite-server=SAT_SERVER Satellite server URL --satellite-username=SAT_USERNAME Username for connecting to Satellite server --satellite-password=SAT_PASSWORD Password for connecting to Satellite server ENVIRONMENT
virt-who also reads environmental variables. They have the same name as command line arguments but upper-cased, with underscore instead of dash and prefixed with VIRTWHO_ (e.g. VIRTWHO_ONE_SHOT). Empty variables are considered as disabled, non-empty as enabled USAGE
MODE virt-who has three modes how it can run: 1. one-shot mode # virt-who -o In this mode virt-who just sends list of guest UUIDs to the server and exits. 2. interval mode # virt-who This is default mode. virt-who will check and send list of guest UUIDs once per hour. This interval can be changed using "-i INTER- VAL" option where INTERVAL is number of seconds how often it should check and send the list. 3. background mode # virt-who -b This mode is similar to interval mode but it monitors events from libvirt and update list of guest UUIDs as soon as possible. It also does the interval check (interval can be altered by "-i INTERVAL" option). NOTE: virt-who don't print anything to terminal in this mode NOTE: monitoring for events requires libvirt backend, but this mode can be used with all backends. VIRTUALIZATION BACKEND virt-who can use couple of virtualization backends. 1. libvirt # virt-who # virt-who --libvirt Use libvirt as virtualization backend. This is default. NOTE: virt-who can monitor for events only in this mode. 2. vdsm # virt-who --vdsm Use vdsm as virtualization backend. 3. ESX # virt-who --esx --esx-owner=ESX_OWNER --esx-env=ESX_ENV --esx-server=ESX_SERVER --esx-username=ESX_USERNAME --esx-pass- word=ESX_PASSWORD Use ESX (vCenter) as virtualization backend and specify option required to connect to ESX server. 4. RHEV-M # virt-who --rhevm --rhevm-owner=RHEVM_OWNER --rhevm-env=RHEVM_ENV --rhevm-server=RHEVM_SERVER --rhevm-username=RHEVM_USERNAME --rhevm-password=RHEVM_PASSWORD Use RHEV-M as virtualization backend and specify option required to connect to RHEV-M server. 5. Hyper-V # virt-who --hyperv --hyperv-owner=HYPERV_OWNER --hyperv-env=HYPERV_ENV --hyperv-server=HYPERV_SERVER --hyperv-user- name=HYPERV_USERNAME --hyperv-password=HYPERV_PASSWORD Use Hyper-V as virtualization backend and specify option required to connect to Hyper-V server. SUBSCRIPTION MANAGER virt-who can report host/guest associations either to Subscription Asset Manager (SAM) or to Satellite. 1. Subscription Asset Manager # virt-who # virt-who --sam System must be registered using subscription-manager prior to using virt-who. Configuration for connecting to SAM is shared between subscription-manager and virt-who. This is default. 2. Satellite # virt-who --satellite --satellite-server=SAT_SERVER --satellite-username=SAT_USERNAME --satellite-password=SAT_PASSWORD This option can't be used for monitoring local guests, use rhn-virtualization-host instead. LOGGING
virt-who always writes error output to file /var/log/rhsm/rhsm.log. In all modes, excluding background ("-b"), it writes same output also to the standard error output. virt-who can be started with option "-d" in all modes and with all backends. This option will enable verbose output with more information. AUTHOR
Radek Novacek <rnovacek at redhat dot com> virt-who August 2013 VIRT-WHO(8)