Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk - $9 and onwards
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers awk - $9 and onwards Post 303032827 by Don Cragun on Sunday 24th of March 2019 09:13:53 PM
Old 03-24-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoroco
How can I get awk to print all fields from $9 and onwards?
Hi locoroco,
The answer to your question really depends on what your field separator is, whether or not any of the first eight fields are empty, whether or not you need to maintain the exact text (including the input field separators) between the remaining fields when you print the results, and what version of awk you're using. Since we don't know the answers to any of the above questions, we can only make wild guesses.

The suggestions nezabudka provided might or might not work depending on the above unspecified constraints (and on the contents of various fields).

When starting a thread here, please always tell us what operating system you're using, what shell you're using, give us a complete description of what you're trying to do, give us a short sample input file and the exact output you hope to produce from that input, and show us what you have tried to do to solve the problem on your own.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

Replace string in unix from 10th column onwards

Hi All, I need to replace the last 19 bytes of the following string My_Org_Testing_20090102_231124.txt (Text_Date_Time.txt). I would like to derive the current time using "date +%Y%m%d_%H%M%S.txt" and replace the last 19 bytes of the above string I would appreciate if someone could... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpk2008
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print from second column onwards if $1<=40 using awk

I have a file like below 10 10 21 32 43 54 20 10 25 36 47 58 30 19 20 31 42 53 40 10 24 35 46 57 50 10 28 39 40 51 I need to check if $1 <= 40, then print from $2 onwards. If $1 > 40, the line is not printed. So I would have an output like this 10 21 32 43 54 10 25 36 47... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove 3rd and onwards occurances of a character

I have a file with "@" in every line fdgfgddfg@sfsdfdsf@dfdfd@@vfdfsdfd@ sfsdfs@sdfd@gfhfgh@@ddffg@sdf@ srfgtfsdfs@sdfertrd@eergfhfgh@@ddffg@sdf@ wttrtrt@sdfd@sdfdf@@sdfdfds@@@ I need to remove all the fourth and onwards occurences of "@". so my final o/p would be fdgfgddfg@sfsdfdsf@dfdfd@... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting log entries from a date onwards

One of the log file looks like entries as below. Wed Apr 6 14:51:18 2011 FAIL LOGIN: Client "9.191.21.54" Wed Apr 6 14:52:53 2011 CONNECT: Client "9.191.21.54" Wed Apr 6 14:52:54 2011 OK LOGIN: Client "9.191.21.54" Wed Apr 6 14:55:10 2011 CONNECT: Client "9.191.21.54" Wed Apr 6... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rijeshpp
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a file from specific row onwards

Hello All: I've file in below format. File name is "FIRSTN.TBL": AAAAAA N BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB N . . . . ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ N My file row length is 40 characters and my second column will start from 25th column and it is only... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvkuriseti
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to check a file from a certain position onwards

Scripting Guru's, I need your help, can you tell me how i can check a file from a certain point onwards via a ksh script. Currerntly i am checking the whole file and can't script it so it checks from 17.01.2012 20:00:00 onwards please.. Any help will be greatly appericated. See file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junes
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to check a file from a certain position and date onwards

Hi Guys, I need some advice please. My script is not grabbing information from a text file from a certain date correctly. It seems to be grabbing everying in the file, i know it is something simple but i have looked to hard and to long, to know what the issue is. Script awk '... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junes
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK one-liner. Need to employ an If condition inside AWK to check for array variable ?

Hello experts, I'm stuck with this script for three days now. Here's what i need. I need to split a large delimited (,) file into 2 files based on the value present in the last field. Samp: Something.csv bca,adc,asdf,123,12C bca,adc,asdf,123,13C def,adc,asdf,123,12A I need this split... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output yields error: awk:can't open job_name (Autosys)

Good evening, Im newbie at unix specially with awk From an scheduler program called Autosys i want to extract some data reading an inputfile that comprises jobs names, then formating the output to columns for example 1. This is the inputfile: $ more MapaRep.txt ds_extra_nikira_usuarios... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
18 Replies
JOIN(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   JOIN(1)

NAME
join -- relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-a file_number | -v file_number] [-e string] [-o list] [-t char] [-1 field] [-2 field] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The join utility performs an ``equality join'' on the specified files and writes the result to the standard output. The ``join field'' is the field in each file by which the files are compared. The first field in each line is used by default. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 which have identical join fields. Each output line consists of the join field, the remaining fields from file1 and then the remaining fields from file2. The default field separators are tab and space characters. In this case, multiple tabs and spaces count as a single field separator, and leading tabs and spaces are ignored. The default output field separator is a single space character. Many of the options use file and field numbers. Both file numbers and field numbers are 1 based, i.e., the first file on the command line is file number 1 and the first field is field number 1. The following options are available: -a file_number In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. -e string Replace empty output fields with string. -o list The -o option specifies the fields that will be output from each file for each line with matching join fields. Each element of list has either the form file_number.field, where file_number is a file number and field is a field number, or the form '0' (zero), repre- senting the join field. The elements of list must be either comma (',') or whitespace separated. (The latter requires quoting to protect it from the shell, or, a simpler approach is to use multiple -o options.) -t char Use character char as a field delimiter for both input and output. Every occurrence of char in a line is significant. -v file_number Do not display the default output, but display a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. The options -v 1 and -v 2 may be specified at the same time. -1 field Join on the field'th field of file1. -2 field Join on the field'th field of file2. When the default field delimiter characters are used, the files to be joined should be ordered in the collating sequence of sort(1), using the -b option, on the fields on which they are to be joined, otherwise join may not report all field matches. When the field delimiter char- acters are specified by the -t option, the collating sequence should be the same as sort(1) without the -b option. If one of the arguments file1 or file2 is '-', the standard input is used. EXIT STATUS
The join utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
For compatibility with historic versions of join, the following options are available: -a In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in both file1 and file2. -j1 field Join on the field'th field of file1. -j2 field Join on the field'th field of file2. -j field Join on the field'th field of both file1 and file2. -o list ... Historical implementations of join permitted multiple arguments to the -o option. These arguments were of the form file_number.field_number as described for the current -o option. This has obvious difficulties in the presence of files named 1.2. These options are available only so historic shell scripts do not require modification and should not be used. SEE ALSO
awk(1), comm(1), paste(1), sort(1), uniq(1) STANDARDS
The join command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
July 5, 2004 BSD