Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Compare 2 strings
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Compare 2 strings Post 303032806 by wisecracker on Sunday 24th of March 2019 12:41:36 PM
Old 03-24-2019
You are jumping the gun at the moment; UNDERSTAND what is going on first!

I mentioned that there is a FLAW. Try to understand that when messing with HW you need to know what you are doing.
Read the URL and understand to get a grasp of what is going on; although the code will work 99.999% of the time there is a condition known as a "race condition".
Race condition - Wikipedia

Although not strictly a race condition it is a _pseudo_race condition.

An explanation:
If you move the mouse a tiny fraction of a second AFTER the 'if' line and before the condition is finalised then the two variables will be the same.
Assuming you have this _polling_ as you put it in a loop then this will be missed on the second variable and the next time in the loop the two values will be the same again and so it will seem no-one has moved the mouse. This, although NOT strictly a race condition per-se is close enough.
AFAIAC there is no easy cure using sequential code like a shell script so you HAVE to be aware of such situations.

So be aware; it is these subtleties that can cause headaches in the future.

As for _polling_ you could put the code inside a 'while' loop, while true and exit the loop via a break command using the conditional statement if that is what you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

to compare two strings

hi all, i am new to unix. Actually i need to compare two string and print the result... suppose type='sun' if; then echo good morning else echo good night fi whether the comparison is right r we need to use eq???? help me please.... :confused: thanks in advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ithirak17
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare two strings

Hi all, I am trying to compare two strings/dates, but its throwing error::Syntax error at line 5: Please help !! Any alternate way to compare two dates is also fine.... logdate1=`date -u '+%Y.%m.%d %T'` sleep 5 logdate2=`date -u '+%Y.%m.%d %T'` if test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant43
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare two strings using if

Hi, Here is my script #!/bin/ksh echo $pick_typ if ];then echo "inside if" else echo "outside if" fi when ever i pass CUS as parameter to this script am getting the correct value CUS, however if i pass ORD as parameter it is not coming inside if it is echoing else "Outside... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargav20
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare text strings.

Hi Im trying to write a script that compare a text string. But it fails, I think it adds a extra line feed to the result and fails beacuse of that. The script. DT=`date +'%Y%m%d%H%M%S'` #ALARM_BIN=/users/alarms/ssa/alarms/bin QUEUE_THR=10 #unset offset #offset="***Server reports data... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vettec3
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Compare 2 Strings ?

Hello , I want to Compare with 2 strings and get if they are True or not please would like some help on this #!bin/ksh echo "Enter Name 1" read Name1 echo "Enter Name 2" read Name2 echo "------------------------" echo "First Name: $Name1" echo "Second Name: $Name2" echo... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: shatztal
25 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two strings

hi.. i have a problem to compare two string my code is like that if ] then echo "both data are correct" elif ] echo "data is wrong" fi here $username1 is taking value from file.. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare two strings in a file

hello guyzz please help me out.. I have two file a.sh and b.sh it contains two string SD109 ,SD108 . I want to compaere these two string . If a.sh>b.sh do rebasing record time. else it shows no rebasing required. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhijtr
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare strings with space in if statement

DEV> vi test_if_statement.sh "test_if_statement.sh" 9 lines, 205 characters proc_out="Normal completion" proc_out_comp="Normal completion" echo 'proc_out:'$proc_out echo 'proc_out_comp:'$proc_out_comp if then echo 'match' else echo 'no_match' fi ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cartrider
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 Strings

I have 2 values V_1_4_4_b1 and V_1_5_1_RC_b1. I would need to compare them and determine if the 1st value is greater, less or equal than the 2nd value. The result should need to have a return value. I have below code in bash function but it seems it is not comparing it correctly. Any help will... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aderamos12
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

If statement to compare two strings

Hi, I am trying to do the following to see if "ip" is already present in a file. if ; then echo "hi" else echo "hello" fi I am seeing errors on the if statement. Can someone please correct the syntax for me? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: waince
2 Replies
pthread_cond_wait(3T)													     pthread_cond_wait(3T)

NAME
pthread_cond_wait(), pthread_cond_timedwait() - wait or timed wait on a condition variable SYNOPSIS
Parameters cond Pointer to the condition variable to be waited on. mutex Pointer to the mutex associated with the condition variable cond. abstime Absolute time at which the wait expires, even if the condition has not been signaled or broadcast. DESCRIPTION
The function is used to wait for the occurrence of a condition associated with the condition variable cond. The function is used to wait a limited amount of time for the occurrence of a condition associated with the condition variable cond. The abstime parameter specifies the time at which this function should time out. If the absolute time specified by abstime passes and the indicated condition has not been signaled, the function returns an error to the caller. Note: abstime is the time at which the wait expires, not the length of time the thread will wait. The condition variabled denoted by cond must have been dynamically initialized by a call to or statically initialized with the macro Both functions should be called with mutex locked by the calling thread. If mutex is not locked by the calling thread, undefined behavior will result. These functions atomically release mutex and cause the calling thread to block on the condition variable cond. If another thread is able to acquire the mutex after the about-to-block thread has released it but before it has actually blocked, a subsequent call to or by the other thread will behave as if it were issued after the about-to-block thread has blocked. When the condition is signaled or the timed wait expires, the caller is unblocked and will reacquire mutex before returning. Whether these functions succeed or fail, mutex will always be reacquired before returning to the caller. Using different mutexes for concurrent calls to these functions on the same condition variable results in undefined behavior. When using condition variables, there is a predicate associated with the condition wait. If this predicate is false, the thread should perform a condition wait. Spurious wakeups may occur when waiting on a condition variable. A spurious wakeup occurs when a thread returns from a condition wait when it should really continue waiting. A normal signal being delivered to a thread may cause a spurious wakeup dur- ing a condition wait. Since the return values from and do not imply anything about the value of the predicate, the predicate should be re- evaluated. A condition wait is a When the calling thread has deferred cancellation enabled, cancellation requested will be acted upon. If a cancella- tion request is acted upon while a thread is blocked in one of these functions, mutex is reacquired before calling the cancellation cleanup handlers. The cancellation cleanup handlers should release mutex so that application deadlock does not occur. If the condition signal and the cancellation request both occur, the canceled thread will not consume the condition signal (i.e., a different thread will be unblocked due to the condition signal). If a signal is delivered to a thread waiting for a condition variable, upon return from the signal handler, the thread may return zero due to a spurious wakeup or continue waiting for the condition. RETURN VALUE
and return the following values: Successful completion. Failure. An error number is returned to indicate the error. (The variable is not set.) ERRORS
The following error value is returned by if the corresponding condition is detected. abstime has passed and a condition signal has not been received. One of the following error values is returned by and if the corresponding condition is detected. A cond, mutex, or abstime parameter points to an illegal address. The value specified by cond, mutex, or abstime is invalid. mutex is not owned by the calling thread. This error is not returned for a or mutex on HP-UX. Different mutexes are being used for cond. This error is not detected on HP-UX. WARNINGS
It is important to note that when or return without error, the associated predicate may still be false. When returns with the timeout error, the associated predicate may be true. It is recommended that a condition wait be enclosed in the equivalent of a "while loop," which checks the predicate. Undefined behavior results if these functions are called with a mutex. EXAMPLES
is recommended to be used in a loop testing the predicate associated with it. This will take care of any spurious wakeups that may occur. is also recommended to be used in a loop. This function can return success even if the predicate is not true. It should be called in a loop while checking the predicate. If the function times out, the predicate may still have become true. The predicate should be checked before processing the timeout case. The example given below does not do any other error checking. AUTHOR
and were derived from the IEEE POSIX P1003.1c standard. SEE ALSO
pthread_cond_init(3T), pthread_cond_signal(3T). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
Pthread Library pthread_cond_wait(3T)