Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove first line of file
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Remove first line of file Post 303032800 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 24th of March 2019 11:34:43 AM
Old 03-24-2019
Try:
Code:
sed 1d file > newfile

Code:
tail -n+2 file > newfile

Code:
awk NR-1 file > newfile

With bash:
Code:
{
  read
  while IFS= read -r line
  do
    printf "%s\n" "$line"
  done
} < file > newfile

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 03-24-2019 at 12:41 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove every third line from a file

I need to remove every second and every third line from a file. My idea was to do it in two operations. First every third line, then every second line. The problem is that i can't find out how to do it. I tried to look for some sed oneliners, but couldn't find any. Suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bistru
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove header(first line) and trailer(last line) in ANY given file

Hi, I need some help in removing the header (first line) and the trailer (last line) in a give file... The data file actually comes in EBCDIC format and I converted it into ASCII.. Now I need to strip off the first line and the last line.. I think we can use sed to do something like this:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove last line of the file

hi sir, i need help..how to remove last line of the each file for example i have files a.txt ,b.txt and so on..i wanted to delete last list of each file..the patten not same for each file..any help? thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_um
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove a line within a file

Hi all, i have a text file similar to belowA1 A2 A3 B1 ... .... *** # first occurance B1 ... .... *** # second occurance B1 ... .... *** # third occurance My desired output is B1 ... .... *** # second occurance B1 ... .... *** # third occurance I want to remove the first line that is after... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a line from a file

Hi ,guys. I have one question: I want to write a script which removes a line with certain string from a file, for example The name of the file is: "passwd", the contents of it is below: ************************* ... brownj2:x:5000: hynesp:x:5001: leeb:x:5002 dioxna:x:5003 ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line from file

Hi!!! When I use vi editor my file looks like this: aaa2: 123.45^M aaa1: 11.34^M aaa3: aaa3: 15.56^M How to remove only line 3 ??? Thanks!!! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdev457
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first line of file

Is there an easy way to remove the first line of a file so that the file: aaron benjamin cecilia daniel elliot fernando would become benjamin cecilia daniel elliot fernando (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove last line of the file

Hi, unix gurus, I need to remove last line of the file. anybody can help me thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line from file and read file line by line

I have a file output.txt. File looks like this name1 10 name2 2 name3 5 I get a number n and I need to remove all lines which has number (after name) smaller or equal to n number. After that I need to write lines from file and my output must be like this: Output: 'name1 10' Output: 'name2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kubo12312
1 Replies
GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)

NAME
git-stripspace - Remove unnecessary whitespace SYNOPSIS
git stripspace [-s | --strip-comments] < input DESCRIPTION
Clean the input in the manner used by git for text such as commit messages, notes, tags and branch descriptions. With no arguments, this will: o remove trailing whitespace from all lines o collapse multiple consecutive empty lines into one empty line o remove empty lines from the beginning and end of the input o add a missing to the last line if necessary. In the case where the input consists entirely of whitespace characters, no output will be produced. NOTE: This is intended for cleaning metadata, prefer the --whitespace=fix mode of git-apply(1) for correcting whitespace of patches or files in the repository. OPTIONS
-s, --strip-comments Skip and remove all lines starting with #. EXAMPLES
Given the following noisy input with $ indicating the end of a line: |A brief introduction $ | $ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line $ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out. $ | $ |The end.$ | $ Use git stripspace with no arguments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out.$ |$ |The end.$ Use git stripspace --strip-comments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |The end.$ GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)