Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pass path variable on SSH
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pass path variable on SSH Post 303032659 by senhia83 on Thursday 21st of March 2019 10:59:14 AM
Old 03-21-2019
I want to cd as well, but the path is not being passed from local to remote. I cant manually cd , this is part of a pipeline, so the cd has to be part of a variable based shell-script.
Any variable for that matter, is there a way to pass variables?

--- Post updated at 10:59 AM ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
I think the problem lies in the escaping of the $ sign when expanding variables in your here document. Just as a rule of thumb: escape it to use a "remote" variable, don't escape it for using local vars. Having local and remote variables with identical names doesn't help debugging nor understanding what's going on...
Sorry about the confusion, I tried every combination without any luck,

Code:
workdirlocal="/My/Intended/Path/"
sshpass -p password ssh userid@serverB.xxx.org << ENDSSH
workdirremote=\$workdirlocal
cd $workdirremote
echo $(pwd)
ENDSSH

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to pass FIFO path to client process ?

Hello everybody ! I have a first program, called "server" which build 2 FIFO's in this way: ... #define PERMS 0666 #define FIFO1 "\tmp\cerere" #define FIFO2 "\tmp\raspuns" ... mkfifo(FIFO1, PERMS) mkfifo(FIFO2, PERMS) ... I want to access these FIFO's in a second separate program,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ametis1970
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove a path from PATH environment variable

Hi I need a script which will remove a path from PATH environment variable. For example $echo PATH /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:test/rmve:/usr/games $echo rmv test/rmve Here I need a shell script which will remove rmv path (test/rmve) from PATH... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu84
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

one liner to extract path from PATH variable

Hi, Could anyone help me in writing a single line code by either using (sed, awk, perl or whatever) to extract a specific path from the PATH environment variable? for eg: suppose the PATH is being set as follows PATH=/usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/java:/usr/bin/perl3.4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a path in user's PATH variable

Hello Folks, I want to append a path in user's PATH variable which should be available in current session. Background Numerous persons will run a utility. Aim is to add the absolute path of the utility the first time it runs so that next runs have the PATH in env & users can directly run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Path a variable to sed that includes a path

Hi I'm trying to select text between two lines, I'm using sed to to this, but I need to pass variables to it. For example start="BEGIN /home/mavkoup/data" end="END" sed -n -e '/${start}/,/${end}/g' doesn't work. I've tried double quotes as well. I think there's a problem with the / in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavkoup
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a function with a variable parameter into another variable?

Hello again :) Am currently trying to write a function which will delete a record from a file. The code currently looks as such: function deleteRecord() { clear read -p "Please enter the ID of the record you wish to remove: " strID ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: U_C_Dispatj
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

8. HP-UX

How to set PATH variable for all HP-UX users when they login using ssh?

Hello friends, I need to set PATH variable for all HP-UX users. I tried to implement it using /etc/profile and /etc/sshrc both none of them work. I don't see sshrc file anywhere. Please advise! TIA (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass File name and Directory Path through command to python script

I'm writing python script to get the file-names in the current directory and file sizes .I'm able to get file list and their sizes but unable to pass them through command line. I want to use this script to execute on other directory and pass directory path with file name through command line. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etldeveloper
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to pass variable in a command and assign value to a variable

Hello All, Hope you're doing well ! I am trying below command to be passed in a shell script, header_date_14 is a variable and $1 is the name of a file I intend to pass as a command line argument, however command line argument is not being accepted. header_date_14=$(m_dump... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
8 Replies
ZSSH(1) 							       ZSSH								   ZSSH(1)

NAME
zssh - interactive file transfer wrapper for ssh SYNOPSIS
zssh [zssh options] [--] [ssh options] ztelnet [zssh options] [--] [telnet options] DESCRIPTION
zssh (Zmodem SSH) is a program for interactively transferring files to a remote machine while using the secure shell ( ssh ). It is intended to be a convenient alternative to scp , allowing to transfer files without having to open another session and re-authenticate one- self. zssh is an interactive wrapper for ssh used to switch the ssh connection between the remote shell and file transfers. This is achieved by using another tty/pty pair between the user and the local ssh process to plug either the user's tty (remote shell mode) or another process (file transfer mode) on the ssh connection. ztelnet behaves similarly to zssh, except telnet is used instead of ssh. It is equivalent to 'zssh -s "telnet -8 -E"' Files are transferred through the zmodem protocol, using the rz and sz commands. zssh behaves as an usual ssh session until the escape sequence is depressed ( default is ^@ which can be produced by pressing C-space, or C-2, or C-` ), which enables file transfer mode. A new prompt is then displayed, and commands can be executed locally to initiate file transfers (among other things). It roughly behaves as a local shell featuring line edition, history and completion (thanks to libreadline), globbing, and escape characters ( " ' and ). The following builtins are handled by zssh itself: ? , cd , disconnect , escape , exit , help , hook , quit , repeat , rz , suspend , sz , version cd <dir> change current directory disconnect disconnect and exit escape [^X] Change escape key to ^X. Without argument, print current escape key exit exit file transfer mode. ^D may also be used for this purpose. help print help and tips ? hook prg [args] Hook program 'prg' on the the pty. Its standard input and output will go through the ssh channel. typing 'sz'/'rz' is in fact equivalent to 'hook sz'/'hook rz' A weird imagination is most useful to gain full advantage of this feature. quit same as exit. repeat repeats cmd forever (^C to interrupt). Useful for example if you use a remote script invoking "sz" and you don't want to be typing "rz" each time... Remember however that several files can be transferred by a single sz/rz pair so this is not usually necessary to use repeat. rz Receive files from the remote machine. runs rz and plugs the process on the ssh connection. running sz on the REMOTE machine is required : 1) run `sz <remote_file> ...' from the remote machine shell 2) press the escape sequence (C-space) to enter file transfer mode 3) run the `rz' builtin suspend suspend zssh (back to the local machine shell) sz <file> ... Send files to the remote machine. runs sz and plugs the process on the ssh connection. There is no need to manually run rz on the remote side. version print version information builtins rz , sz , hook and exit return to shell mode after completion. OPTIONS
-f --force Do not ask user any question -h --help show basic help -s cmd --shell cmd run cmd as remote shell instead of the default "ssh -e none" (zssh) or "telnet -8 -E" (ztelnet) ex: zssh -s "rsh -x" -V --version show version -z ^X --zssh-escape ^X set escape sequence to ^X -- may be used to separate zssh options from ssh ones Other arguments are passed verbatim to ssh/telnet/whatever. ENVIRONMENT
ZSSHESCAPE Setting the ZSSHESCAPE environment variable allows to override the default escape sequence. ZSSHESCAPE should contain only two characters of the form `^X', meaning that ^X is to be the new escape sequence. REQUIREMENTS
the following binaries need to be properly installed for zssh to work : ssh/telnet/... the remote shell to be executed (local machine) sz rz zmodem send and receive programs. Should be both on local and remote machine, and (hopefully) of compatible versions. TIPS
If file transfer is initiated but never completes ( ie a line like : Bytes Sent: 38144/4610624 BPS:3424 ETA 22:15 or Bytes Sent: 0/ 513 BPS:0 ETA 00:00 Retry 0: Got ZCAN can be seen, but transfer never completes ) Chances are the pty/tty on one of the systems are not 8-bit clean. (Linux is 8-bit clean, NetBSD is not). Using the -e (escape) option of rz should solve this problem. Transfers can be interrupted with ^C (somewhat experimental =) If you get stuck in rz/sz (for example you've just ran rz, but you then decided not to transmit anything), hit a dozen ^X (Ctrl-X, not the zssh escape!) to stop it Use `sz -y <files>' to overwrite files on the other side BUGS
/ LIMITATIONS You may sometimes have to hit return 2 or 3 times after file transfer completion in order get back to the shell. Some digits are usually displayed; don't worry it won't harm (you or your term) ... the tty may (sometimes) be somewhat upset after an interrupted transfer ( using ^C ). typing `reset' in this case should help. no pipe, redirection (and other stuff) support in shell ... but after all there are already wonderful shells around =) CREDITS
ttssh's author - Robert O'Callahan - for the original idea The sourceforge team. AUTHOR
Matthieu Lucotte <gounter@users.sourceforge.net> zssh homepage: http://zssh.sourceforge.net SEE ALSO
ssh(1), telnet(1), scp(1), sz(1), rz(1), readline(3), ZSSH
June 26, 2000 ZSSH(1)