Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pass path variable on SSH
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pass path variable on SSH Post 303032656 by RudiC on Thursday 21st of March 2019 10:47:16 AM
Old 03-21-2019
I think the problem lies in the escaping of the $ sign when expanding variables in your here document. Just as a rule of thumb: escape it to use a "remote" variable, don't escape it for using local vars. Having local and remote variables with identical names doesn't help debugging nor understanding what's going on...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to pass FIFO path to client process ?

Hello everybody ! I have a first program, called "server" which build 2 FIFO's in this way: ... #define PERMS 0666 #define FIFO1 "\tmp\cerere" #define FIFO2 "\tmp\raspuns" ... mkfifo(FIFO1, PERMS) mkfifo(FIFO2, PERMS) ... I want to access these FIFO's in a second separate program,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ametis1970
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove a path from PATH environment variable

Hi I need a script which will remove a path from PATH environment variable. For example $echo PATH /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:test/rmve:/usr/games $echo rmv test/rmve Here I need a shell script which will remove rmv path (test/rmve) from PATH... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu84
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

one liner to extract path from PATH variable

Hi, Could anyone help me in writing a single line code by either using (sed, awk, perl or whatever) to extract a specific path from the PATH environment variable? for eg: suppose the PATH is being set as follows PATH=/usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/java:/usr/bin/perl3.4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a path in user's PATH variable

Hello Folks, I want to append a path in user's PATH variable which should be available in current session. Background Numerous persons will run a utility. Aim is to add the absolute path of the utility the first time it runs so that next runs have the PATH in env & users can directly run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Path a variable to sed that includes a path

Hi I'm trying to select text between two lines, I'm using sed to to this, but I need to pass variables to it. For example start="BEGIN /home/mavkoup/data" end="END" sed -n -e '/${start}/,/${end}/g' doesn't work. I've tried double quotes as well. I think there's a problem with the / in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavkoup
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a function with a variable parameter into another variable?

Hello again :) Am currently trying to write a function which will delete a record from a file. The code currently looks as such: function deleteRecord() { clear read -p "Please enter the ID of the record you wish to remove: " strID ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: U_C_Dispatj
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

8. HP-UX

How to set PATH variable for all HP-UX users when they login using ssh?

Hello friends, I need to set PATH variable for all HP-UX users. I tried to implement it using /etc/profile and /etc/sshrc both none of them work. I don't see sshrc file anywhere. Please advise! TIA (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass File name and Directory Path through command to python script

I'm writing python script to get the file-names in the current directory and file sizes .I'm able to get file list and their sizes but unable to pass them through command line. I want to use this script to execute on other directory and pass directory path with file name through command line. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etldeveloper
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to pass variable in a command and assign value to a variable

Hello All, Hope you're doing well ! I am trying below command to be passed in a shell script, header_date_14 is a variable and $1 is the name of a file I intend to pass as a command line argument, however command line argument is not being accepted. header_date_14=$(m_dump... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
8 Replies
RLOGIN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 RLOGIN(1)

NAME
rlogin -- remote login SYNOPSIS
rlogin [-8EKLd] [-e char] [-i identity] [-l username] [-p port] host DESCRIPTION
Rlogin starts a terminal session on a remote host host. Rlogin first attempts to use the Kerberos authorization mechanism, described below. If the remote host does not supporting Kerberos the standard Berkeley rhosts authorization mechanism is used. The options are as follows: -8 The -8 option allows an eight-bit input data path at all times; otherwise parity bits are stripped except when the remote side's stop and start characters are other than ^S/^Q . -i The -i option specifies the local user name to use for authentication with the remote rlogind server. This overrides the default which is the name of the user invoking rlogin. -l The -l option specifies the name of the remote user to login as. This overrides the default which is the name of the user invoking rlogin. -E The -E option stops any character from being recognized as an escape character. When used with the -8 option, this provides a com- pletely transparent connection. -K The -K option turns off all Kerberos authentication. This option has no effect since Kerberos authentication is not available in this version. -L The -L option allows the rlogin session to be run in ``litout'' (see tty(4)) mode. -d The -d option turns on socket debugging (see setsockopt(2)) on the TCP sockets used for communication with the remote host. -e The -e option allows user specification of the escape character, which is ``~'' by default. This specification may be as a literal character, or as an octal value in the form nn. -p The -p option specifies the port to connect to. This overrides the default which is login. A line of the form ``<escape char>.'' disconnects from the remote host. Similarly, the line ``<escape char>^Z'' will suspend the rlogin ses- sion, and ``<escape char><delayed-suspend char>'' suspends the send portion of the rlogin, but allows output from the remote system. By default, the tilde (``~'') character is the escape character, and normally control-Y (``^Y'') is the delayed-suspend character. All echoing takes place at the remote site, so that (except for delays) the rlogin is transparent. Flow control via ^S/^Q and flushing of input and output on interrupts are handled properly. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by rlogin: TERM Determines the user's terminal type. SEE ALSO
rsh(1) HISTORY
The rlogin command appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
Rlogin will be replaced by telnet(1) in the near future. More of the environment should be propagated. Linux NetKit (0.17) August 15, 1999 Linux NetKit (0.17)