Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ksh Logging
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers ksh Logging Post 303032625 by bakunin on Thursday 21st of March 2019 05:15:43 AM
Old 03-21-2019
In addition to what RudiC already said: if you want to redirect larger parts of a script i would - simply for better readability - not shift around output streams in a way so that one depends on the other. I would set them separately and independently like this:

Code:
exec 2>/some/file
exec 1>/some/file

If you later decide to redirect one or the other to somewhere else it won't affect the other redirecction at all.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Logging

I have a SCO R5 Open Server Box running at a remote location, and from time to time it seems to "spontaneously" re-boot itself. Is there a specific log file that I can examine to see why the machine is doing this ? Any suggestions gratefully appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcs7088
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging

G'day Just wondering if anyone out there knows how to log files, using the example I provided in the earlier message / question earlier today: :confused: If I was to backup a file, how could I setup a log file to record the filename, date (This one I've got figured), and that the file was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussie_Bloke
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logging when someone changes to su

Is there a file that captures info whenever someone logs to su? i know it comes across as standard output on the server, but is it saved anywhere? Time and date info included?? thanks, kym (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kymberm
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Asking about logging in

Hi, just wriiten a sh script and as my script will try to log into another server to delete some files but when i run , it keeps on saying that my files do not exist. It seems to refer to my local directory instead. Below is my script : FTP_HOST=ip_number FTP_USER="user password" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blueberry80
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need more logging

Hi all! On our current Solaris 8 machine we only have "standard" logging configured, and now i need to put on more. What i specificly need is time in the logfiles. Ex. When a user is logging in, when a user makes it self SU. etc. Regards... dOzY (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dozy
3 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Constant Logging In (After Logging Out)

Hi Everyone. First, I want to thank all of you for letting me participate in this great group. I am having a bit of a problem. After I get an email from a responder, I login to make my reply. In the mean time I get another response by email from another member, I go to reply to them and I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script to run other ksh scripts and output it to a file and/or email

Hi I am new to this Scripting process and would like to know How can i write a ksh script that will call other ksh scripts and write the output to a file and/or email. For example ------- Script ABC ------- a.ksh b.ksh c.ksh I need to call all three scripts execute them and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacifican
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - find command with 2 actions attached and error logging

Hi there, I'm encountering problems on an AIX system when using following in my script. find . -name *.edi -type f -exec sh -c 'scp {} $user@$server:$path || exit 5; mv {} $sent || exit 7' \; the error i get is following find: 0652-018 An expression term lacks a required... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kerberos
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding logging feature to ksh script?

Good morning all, I have a ksh script that I would like to log all "Terminal" out to a log file. I have tried several different methods to no avail! Below is my script and any advice or assitance would be great! The script works great but can not figure out how to log all outputs to a log... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAllison
4 Replies

10. Linux

Syslog not logging successful logging while unlocking server's console

When unlocking a Linux server's console there's no event indicating successful logging Is there a way I can fix this ? I have the following in my rsyslog.conf auth.info /var/log/secure authpriv.info /var/log/secure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walterthered
1 Replies
Mirror/redirect action in tc(8)                                        Linux                                       Mirror/redirect action in tc(8)

NAME
mirred - mirror/redirect action SYNOPSIS
tc ... action mirred DIRECTION ACTION [ index INDEX ] dev DEVICENAME DIRECTION := { ingress | egress } ACTION := { mirror | redirect } DESCRIPTION
The mirred action allows packet mirroring (copying) or redirecting (stealing) the packet it receives. Mirroring is what is sometimes referred to as Switch Port Analyzer (SPAN) and is commonly used to analyze and/or debug flows. OPTIONS
ingress egress Specify the direction in which the packet shall appear on the destination interface. mirror redirect Define whether the packet should be copied (mirror) or moved (redirect) to the destination interface. index INDEX Assign a unique ID to this action instead of letting the kernel choose one automatically. INDEX is a 32bit unsigned integer greater than zero. dev DEVICENAME Specify the network interface to redirect or mirror to. EXAMPLES
Limit ingress bandwidth on eth0 to 1mbit/s, redirect exceeding traffic to lo for debugging purposes: # tc qdisc add dev eth0 handle ffff: ingress # tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: u32 match u32 0 0 action police rate 1mbit burst 100k conform-exceed pipe action mirred egress redirect dev lo Mirror all incoming ICMP packets on eth0 to a dummy interface for examination with e.g. tcpdump: # ip link add dummy0 type dummy # ip link set dummy0 up # tc qdisc add dev eth0 handle ffff: ingress # tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: protocol ip u32 match ip protocol 1 0xff action mirred egress mirror dev dummy0 Using an ifb interface, it is possible to send ingress traffic through an instance of sfq: # modprobe ifb # ip link set ifb0 up # tc qdisc add dev ifb0 root sfq # tc qdisc add dev eth0 handle ffff: ingress # tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: u32 match u32 0 0 action mirred egress redirect dev ifb0 SEE ALSO
tc(8), tc-u32(8) iproute2 11 Jan 2015 Mirror/redirect action in tc(8)