Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to check string contain multiple tabs or spaces? Post 303032591 by nezabudka on Wednesday 20th of March 2019 05:04:48 PM
Old 03-20-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
You seem to have a sufficiently recent shell... man bash: Thus, try also

Code:
if [[ $str =~ "^hello[[:blank:]]*world" ]];

Then already
Code:
if [[ "$str" =~ ^"hello"[[:blank:]]+"world" ]];

--- Post updated at 23:57 ---

or
Code:
if [[ "$str" =~ ^hello[[:blank:]]+world ]];

--- Post updated 03-21-19 at 00:04 ---

Actually this is news to me. It's regexp. Even have to escape question mark
Code:
if [[ "$str" =~ ^hello[[:blank:]]+world.*\?$ ]];

Last edited by nezabudka; 03-20-2019 at 06:12 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting tabs in to spaces.

Hi! I'm using SunOS 5.7 w/ Bash 2.01. Currently, I'm working on a script that will make it possible to find textfiles which match certain criteria. While I write this message, I had some brainfarts, found the answer myself :D and the question I had in mind is now no longer the question I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indo1144
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing tabs to spaces from files

hi, I have some 50 C files in which for indentation of code some devlopers used tabs, but we dont want any tab used for indentation. I have following 2 need. 1) find tabs from all 50 files (which are in one directory ) 2) replace them with 4 spaces. Thanks Rishi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishir
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces or Tabs?

When formatting a script let's say for instance the following: case ${choice} in 1) vi ${tmp1}.tmp # overwrite the tmp1 var with any user changes cp ${tmp1}.tmp ${tmp1} ;; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with White spaces and tabs

Hi All, I am facing issues converting white spaces and tabs together in a file I am reading. Here is the command I am trying: tr -s ' '@ | sort -t@ +1n filename I guess the problem is that it is not converting the tabs to another delimiter. Also, I am supposed to accomplish this only using... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sh_kk
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

clear extra spaces and tabs in a file

Any help appreciated Thanks sample input: > (extra spaces&tabs in here) test1 (extra spaces&tabs in here) 123.123.123.123 (extra spaces&tabs in here) abc (extra spaces&tabs in here) 123 --- < (extra spaces&tabs in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goofist
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing tabs with spaces

I want my program to replace tabs with spaces.1tab=4spaces.When i write aa(tab)aaa(tab)(tab)a(tab) it must show me aaxxaaaxxxxxaxxx. I think that my program works corectly but when a write aaa(tab)a it must show aaaxa but it is aaaxxxxxa.Please for help!!! That is my code: #include <stdio.h> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marto1914
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces to tabs - group with IP

hi buddies; i have a file.txt: Note: All the seperators are SPACE. 192.168.1.1 ParameterObject=1 Speech 1 ParameterObject=2 Speech 1 192.168.1.1 ParamFunction=1 UserID 1 (DEACTIVATED) Sector=1,Device=2,Unit=3 DeviceId 1 192.168.1.1 FeederCable=2B ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace spaces/tabs with delimiter |

Hi, I'm looking for a command that replaces spaces/tabs with pipe symbol and store the result to the same file instead of routing it to another file. infile outfile Thanks. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Vimrc creating tabs instead of spaces

I'm having trouble getting my vimrc to work the way I want it. For some reason after I hit enter it is creating tabs instead of spaces like I would expect. Here is an example of what I am talking about. $ = newline, ^I = tab. On the line of struct EDGETAG* q; I hit enter and it created a tab... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab line regardless of if it ends with tabs or spaces

so i have a data file that has various lines which may or may not end with spaces or tabs. data.file: , \t \t {sample} <spaces> <spaaces> several more spaces.... {"resemble"}, <nospaces> Command i'm using: sed -n 8p data.file | egrep "\],$|\],\ $" or egrep "\],$|\],\ $"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)