Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Search strings from a file in files in a directory recursively; then print the string with a status Post 303032580 by nezabudka on Wednesday 20th of March 2019 02:14:58 PM
Old 03-20-2019
Hi RudiC
I tried through "tee" output to the stderr, hence the my first varient with "cut", but I did not succeed.
I will write your code in my notes. Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix find command to print directory and search string

Hi i need to print pathname in which the string present using 'find' command sample output like this Pathname String to be searched ---------- -------------------- /usr/test/myfile get /opt/test/somefile get Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: princein
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace a search string recursively in files

Hi , I have a directory structure as dir and subdirectories and files under it and so on.now I need to find the files which contain the search string under every dir and subdir and replace . my search string is like searchstring=/a/b string to be replaced=/a/c/b please help. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search multiple strings on a file and copy the string next to it

I tried awk for this, but failed <or my code is not correct? I dont know>. Can anyone help me on this? ---------- Post updated at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:29 PM ---------- my working file looks like this: <empty> <empty> <empty> NAME :ABC AGE :15 GENDER... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search two strings in a file and print the contents in between to a file

I have a file called po.txt. Here is the content of the file: <!DOCTYPE PurchaseOrderMessage (View Source for full doctype...)> - <PurchaseOrder> - <Header> <MessageId>cdb3062b-685b-4cd5-9633-013186750e10</MessageId> <Timestamp>2011-08-01T13:47:23.536-04:00</Timestamp> </Header> -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: webbi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to recursively search for a list of keywords in a given directory?

Hi all, how to recursively search for a list of keywords in a given directory?? for example: suppose i have kept all the keywords in a file called "procnamelist" (in separate line) and i have to search recursively in a directory called "target/dir" if i am not doing recursive search then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelmani
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in a file, extract two another strings and concatenate to a variable

I have a file with <suit:run date="Trump Tue 06/19/2012 11:41 AM EDT" machine="garg-ln" build="19921" level="beta" release="6.1.5" os="Linux"> Need to find word "build" then extract build number, which is 19921 also release number, which is 6.1.5 then concatenate them to one variable as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: garg
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recursively search the string from a column in no. of files

i have a file named keyword.csv(contains around 8k records) which contains a no. of columns. The 5th column contains all the keywords. I want to recursively search these keywords in all .pl files(around 1k) and display the filename....Afterthat i will use the filename and some of the column from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in search strings from text file, search for string in second text file and output to CSV

Hi guys, I have a text file named file1.txt that is formatted like this: 001 , ID , 20000 002 , Name , Brandon 003 , Phone_Number , 616-234-1999 004 , SSNumber , 234-23-234 005 , Model , Toyota 007 , Engine ,V8 008 , GPS , OFF and I have file2.txt formatted like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: An0mander
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively?

Hi, How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively? What I tried: find . -type f -exec cat {} | grep "make" \; Output: grep: find: ;: No such file or directory missing argument to `-exec' And this: find . -type f -exec cat {} \; -exec grep "make" {} \;... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search directory for string and print file name

Good Evening Folks - I have a need to search a specific directory and ALL sub-directories for the following string: Data Load UpdatedIf this string is found, I need to print content from the line directory above it between symbols, as well as the file name where it is found. Here is a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
1 Replies
TEE(1)								   User Commands							    TEE(1)

NAME
tee - read from standard input and write to standard output and files SYNOPSIS
tee [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Copy standard input to each FILE, and also to standard output. -a, --append append to the given FILEs, do not overwrite -i, --ignore-interrupts ignore interrupt signals --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If a FILE is -, copy again to standard output. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Parker, Richard M. Stallman, and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report tee bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report tee translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for tee is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and tee programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'tee invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb September 2011 TEE(1)