Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Why LD_LIBRARY_PATH did not work but LDFLAGS did? Post 303032548 by colt on Wednesday 20th of March 2019 09:02:03 AM
Old 03-20-2019
Why LD_LIBRARY_PATH did not work but LDFLAGS did?

Hello, a few moments ago, I tried to compile lynx. It complained about the lack of ncurses. I downloaded it, compiled it and then installed it to non standard directory.

Going back to the lynx, I expected to pass ncurses location to it through a .pc file and PKG_CONFIG_PATH. However the version of ncurses that I installed does not have . pc file.

Then I passed the location of ncurses "lib" dir to LD_LIBRARY_PATH and exported it. It did not work, lynx configure was not able to find it. Then I decided to use LDFLAGS=-L'..../ncurses/lib/'. And it did work! The question is.......why?
'
What LDFLAGS does that LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not? Thanks for your time
This User Gave Thanks to colt For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cc, setuid, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Hi, This question deals with Solaris 2.8 and setuid programs. From research I've done so far, setuid programs ignore LD_LIBRARY_PATH; I've proven this and am OK with it. The thing I am not certain of how the C compiler is supposed to behave when it is invoked via a setuid program. Basically,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: WolfBoy
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Hello I have just tried to install ns-allineone-2.31 on cygwin cygwin is using the bash shell it asks for somethings to be put into the LD_LIBRAY_PATH, here is a snippet of what it says. (1) You MUST put /home/Chris/ns-allinone-2.31/otcl-1.13, /home/Chris/ns-allinone-2.31/lib, into your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bysonary
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ld_library_path

Hi, can anyone explain this terrm? should we setup it ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccp
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

SHLIB_PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH

hi Im using HP-UX 11i,PARISC .... Where do i find SHLIB_PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH , i couldnt find in env, listing...... Moreover im trying to execute file its throwing me error usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't find path for shared library: libgcc_s.sl /usr/lib/dld.sl: No such file or directory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanthan
3 Replies

5. Solaris

setenv: cannot add the LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Hi all! I need to add new environment variable. e.g. # setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH "/usr/ucblib:" # I check:# env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ucblib: After rebooting I don't see this variable. Why don't save this variable? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Help with LDFLAGS options

Hi, We currently have a Makefile which has the following option in LDFLAGS: LDFLAGS_solaris= -G -library=%none Can anyone please help on what the significance of -library=%none is ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jkbuilds
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

updating LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Inside my csh script, I have the following command: source ${HOME}/.login When I execute my csh script, why do I get the following error message: /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/export: Permission denied This is what I have inside my .login #!/bin/bash export... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: casau
9 Replies

8. AIX

Set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to 1 or empty

I have a question on setting environmental variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The case is that, i cannot execute wget on my AIX machine. It return the following error: exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program wget because of the following errors: 0509-022 Cannot load module... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstsang
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ld_library_path

Hi., Currently my LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting is, LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/app/product/11.2.0/client_1/lib Now, I need to append the JAVA to this setting... Can I set this way, Please suggest. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuthakki
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with LD_LIBRARY_PATH

I am on Solaris . I have written a script callled T_1.sh #!/bin/sh ######################################################################################################## # # Source borne shell env.This is required for crontab to work as bip.sh uses environmental variables.... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
24 Replies
memleaks(3NCURSES)														memleaks(3NCURSES)

NAME
_nc_freeall _nc_free_and_exit - curses memory-leak checking SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> void _nc_freeall(void); void _nc_free_and_exit(int); DESCRIPTION
These functions are used to simplify analysis of memory leaks in the ncurses library. They are normally not available; they must be con- figured into the library at build time using the --disable-leaks option. That compiles-in code that frees memory that normally would not be freed. Any implementation of curses must not free the memory associated with a screen, since (even after calling endwin), it must be available for use in the next call to refresh. There are also chunks of memory held for performance reasons. That makes it hard to analyze curses ap- plications for memory leaks. To work around this, one can build a debugging version of the ncurses library which frees those chunks which it can, and provides these functions to free all of the memory allocated by the ncurses library. The _nc_free_and_exit function is the preferred one since some of the memory which is freed may be required for the application to continue running. Its parameter is the code to pass to the exit routine. RETURN VALUE
These functions do not return a value. PORTABILITY
These functions are not part of the XSI interface. SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES). memleaks(3NCURSES)