Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Find: ‘-ls’ is not the name of a known user Post 303032514 by RudiC on Tuesday 19th of March 2019 01:03:16 PM
Old 03-19-2019
Is andy - NOT $andy - the user name?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find user/login id?

It seems like not all Unix have whoami. What is the alterate way to display just the login id? Any help is appreciated jak (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I find a user profile

Hi, I want to know how can i find a user when he has logged in and how many times and days (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darwinscp@hotma
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

how can i find a user profile

Hi I want to know how can i find a user when he has logged in, at what time and how many days, anyone can help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darwinscp@hotma
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find User

I have a file in my home directory and I want to know all the users who have tried to read the file from my directory and or access the particualr file. Could someone helpme in this as to how I can proceed further? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Find a whether user exists or not.

Hi all, to find a user whether he had an account on AIX box i will use commands like "finger" , "lsuser". I am new to solaris and we are migrating to solaris. now i am using " more /etc/passwd | grep -i <UserID> " to find a user present in that solaris box or not. Are der any similar... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
9 Replies

6. AIX

ldapsearch to find DN for a user

How can I do a ldapsearch to find a DN for a user when I know the exact cn for that user out of active directory. I have tried several different commands (hundreds) but need the -b with the full dn to perform the search using ldapsearch from AIX. I am trying to find the OU for a user and the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cchart3
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

Need to find user login name with their First name and last name

I need to find user login name with their First name and last name .Using HP-UX . i used Finger but couldn't able to get ... $ finger ravi.kumar@domain.com ksh: domain.com: not found i tried with finger kumar ravi finger ravi kumar but not able to get It just giving Login name:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a user on the system

i am prompting for a name to search. read user if then however, i get this error: please enter a username on the system: fool menu_script2.sh: line 123: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: icelated
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find if a User exist if not create user

What I'm trying to do is write a script in Perl to find a user and if that user exist it would print "User Exist, Pls Try Again". If The user doesn't exist I'm able to create a user with a password. Any suggestions? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoBoyGo
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Default user

All, Working in Kubuntu 14.04 I know I can find the default user line using the cmd from bash: cat /etc/passwd | grep 1000 What I get is: user:x:1000:1000:User Name,,,:/home/user:/bin/bash How do I extract to get: myuser=$user myhome=$homdir All help appreciated! Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: OldManRiver
6 Replies
talk(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   talk(1)

NAME
talk - Converses with another user SYNOPSIS
talk user [tty_name] STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: talk: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
The name of the desired recipient in the form returned by the who utility. [Tru64 UNIX] If the second user is on a remote host, the name of the host must be specified in one of the following ways: user@host host!user host.user host:user If the recipient is logged in more than once, the tty_name argument can be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name. If tty_name is not specified, the talk message is displayed on one or more accessible terminals in use by the recipient. The format of tty_name is the same as that returned by the who command. DESCRIPTION
The talk command allows two users to enter text simultaneously into windows displayed on each other's terminals. To initiate a conversa- tion, one user executes talk and specifies the second user's username. [Tru64 UNIX] When using full domain names, the only valid form for specifying the user and host is user@host. For example, andy@host17.dev.abc.com initiates a conversation with user andy at host host17 in the dev.abc.com domain. When the first user initiates the conversation, a message is sent to the second user. If the first user also specifies tty_name, the invi- tation message is sent to the specified terminal. Otherwise, the invitation is sent to the terminal on the remote host on which the second user first logged in. Once this invitation is received, talk displays two windows on the first user's terminal and displays progress mes- sages until the second user responds to the initial message. If the second user wants to have the conversation, the second user also executes talk from any terminal and specifies the first user's account name and hostname, if appropriate. If the second user accepts the invitation, talk displays two windows on the second user's ter- minal. One window displays what is typed by the local user; the other displays what is typed by the remote user. To end the conversation and close the connection, either user can press the Interrupt key sequence. If the second user does not want to permit talk invitations, that user should issue the mesg n command. The talk command processes characters as follows: Typing the <alert> character alerts the recipient's terminal. Typing <Ctrl-L> causes the sender's screen regions to be refreshed. Typing the Erase and Kill characters affects the sender's terminal as described on the termios reference page. Typing the Interrupt or End-of-File characters terminates the local talk program. Once the talk session has been termi- nated on one side, the other side of the session is notified that the talk session has been terminated and this side can do nothing except exit. Typing characters from LC_TYPE classifications print or space causes those characters to be sent to the recipient's terminal. The talk command fails when a user lacks the appropriate privileges to perform the requested action. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] The talk command uses the talk 4.3BSD protocol, which is not compatible with 4.2BSD versions of talk. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. An error occurred or your terminal is incapable of supporting talk. EXAMPLES
If john at host1 wants to talk to fred, who is logged in on host2, john enters: $ talk fred@host2 The following message is displayed on fred's terminal: Message from TalkDaemon@host1 at 15:16... talk: connection requested by john@host1. talk: respond with: talk john@host1 To accept the invitation, fred enters: $ talk john@host1 To talk to fred only if he is logged in on the console at host2, enter: $ talk fred@host2 console ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of *cmd*: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multbyte characters in arguments and input files). If the recipient's locale does not use an LC_CTYPE equivalent to yours, the results are undefined. Determines the locale for the format and contents of diag- nostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: mesg(1), named(8), stty(1), talkd(8), who(1), write(1) Standards: standards(5) talk(1)