Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Creating a tarball on Solaris issue with errors Post 303032439 by Neo on Monday 18th of March 2019 09:23:44 AM
Old 03-18-2019
Maybe just keep it simple and write the output of your find command to a file first.

Then after you have a flat file of all the files you want to tar, read the file ( or parts of it ) and do the tar process next.

Then after you have a nice tar file ( or multiple tar files ) then zip it up.

Sometimes "simple" is faster and easier.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 9 lroundf errors

When I want to install some softwares from source with gcc/4.3 on a sparc solaris 9 I always have errors like this one : (example with lapack-3.2) ../../lapack_SUN4.a(slacn2.o): In function `slacn2_': slacn2.f:(.text+0x1b0): undefined reference to `lroundf' slacn2.f:(.text+0x370): undefined... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfhurt
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris Zone errors

after booting up my zone i get following error # zlogin -C DB_zone Sep 29 09:18:46 svc.startd: Could not log for svc:/system/filesystem/root:default: write(51) failed with I/O error. Sep 29 09:18:47 svc.startd: Could not log for svc:/system/installupdates:default: write(17) failed with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there any way to add to a tarball made in this fashion

Hello, I am wondering if there is an easy way to add a file to a tarball rather than extracting, adding, then remaking the tarball. The tarball was made in this way: tar -cpvzf .wine.tar.gz .wine/If I had a file to the .wine/ dir (or if I just wanted to add a file to the tarball), I would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unpack individual files from tarball

Say you don't want to unpack the whole thing, just individual files or directories within a .tgz. How to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevensw
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tarball of current directory

I wanna make a backup tarball. I wanna write a script that makes tarball of the current directory. There are lots of files so I cant type all files, I wanna make the tarball by excluding few files. Like there 1000 files in a directory I wanna create a tarball containing 98 files of that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nishrestha
1 Replies

6. Solaris

apache 2.2.22 Solaris errors

Hi, I have installed apache 2.2.22 on solaris machine and trying to do some basic testing, but it is failing for one of the scenario. Seeing below in the error logs But noy sure why there is a need for AuthUserFile when i mentioned AuthldapURL. Please advise Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prash358
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating subset of compilation errors

I am compiling a fortran program using gfortran and the result looks as below I want to write a bash or awk script that will scan the information and output only problems within a range of line numbers Example: If I specify the file createmodl.f08, start line 1000 and end line 1100, I will... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract compressed tarball to folder?

This is for Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.7 (Tikanga). Wanna extract entire contents of a tar.gz to a folder of my choosing. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevensw
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Self extracting tarball

I was wondering if anyone can point me to some topics, material, or tutorials that can help me write a shell script that creates a second script that is a Self-extracting tarball. Don't want any actual code obviously because this is a school project, but I feel my teacher didn't well cover the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: canes27
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issue while creating RPM

I am trying to create an RPM that basically creates a JBOss container. At the end it copies folders and files in a particular directory structure. /root/rpmbuild/SOURCES # tree cac-1.0 cac-1.0 └── opt └── msdp └── ca └── iam_cac ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. AUTHOR
Written by Rene Scharfe. DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by David Greaves, Junio C Hamano and the git-list <git@vger.kernel.org[1]>. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. git@vger.kernel.org mailto:git@vger.kernel.org Git 1.7.1 07/05/2010 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)