Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Creating a tarball on Solaris issue with errors Post 303032439 by Neo on Monday 18th of March 2019 09:23:44 AM
Old 03-18-2019
Maybe just keep it simple and write the output of your find command to a file first.

Then after you have a flat file of all the files you want to tar, read the file ( or parts of it ) and do the tar process next.

Then after you have a nice tar file ( or multiple tar files ) then zip it up.

Sometimes "simple" is faster and easier.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 9 lroundf errors

When I want to install some softwares from source with gcc/4.3 on a sparc solaris 9 I always have errors like this one : (example with lapack-3.2) ../../lapack_SUN4.a(slacn2.o): In function `slacn2_': slacn2.f:(.text+0x1b0): undefined reference to `lroundf' slacn2.f:(.text+0x370): undefined... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfhurt
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris Zone errors

after booting up my zone i get following error # zlogin -C DB_zone Sep 29 09:18:46 svc.startd: Could not log for svc:/system/filesystem/root:default: write(51) failed with I/O error. Sep 29 09:18:47 svc.startd: Could not log for svc:/system/installupdates:default: write(17) failed with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there any way to add to a tarball made in this fashion

Hello, I am wondering if there is an easy way to add a file to a tarball rather than extracting, adding, then remaking the tarball. The tarball was made in this way: tar -cpvzf .wine.tar.gz .wine/If I had a file to the .wine/ dir (or if I just wanted to add a file to the tarball), I would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unpack individual files from tarball

Say you don't want to unpack the whole thing, just individual files or directories within a .tgz. How to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevensw
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tarball of current directory

I wanna make a backup tarball. I wanna write a script that makes tarball of the current directory. There are lots of files so I cant type all files, I wanna make the tarball by excluding few files. Like there 1000 files in a directory I wanna create a tarball containing 98 files of that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nishrestha
1 Replies

6. Solaris

apache 2.2.22 Solaris errors

Hi, I have installed apache 2.2.22 on solaris machine and trying to do some basic testing, but it is failing for one of the scenario. Seeing below in the error logs But noy sure why there is a need for AuthUserFile when i mentioned AuthldapURL. Please advise Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prash358
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating subset of compilation errors

I am compiling a fortran program using gfortran and the result looks as below I want to write a bash or awk script that will scan the information and output only problems within a range of line numbers Example: If I specify the file createmodl.f08, start line 1000 and end line 1100, I will... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract compressed tarball to folder?

This is for Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.7 (Tikanga). Wanna extract entire contents of a tar.gz to a folder of my choosing. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevensw
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Self extracting tarball

I was wondering if anyone can point me to some topics, material, or tutorials that can help me write a shell script that creates a second script that is a Self-extracting tarball. Don't want any actual code obviously because this is a school project, but I feel my teacher didn't well cover the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: canes27
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issue while creating RPM

I am trying to create an RPM that basically creates a JBOss container. At the end it copies folders and files in a particular directory structure. /root/rpmbuild/SOURCES # tree cac-1.0 cac-1.0 └── opt └── msdp └── ca └── iam_cac ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies
BF_TAR(1)																 BF_TAR(1)

NAME
bf_tar - shell script to write a tar file of a bogofilter directory to stdout SYNOPSIS
bf_tar [-r] [-R] bogofilter_directory DESCRIPTION
bf_tar bundles a bogofilter working directory in tar format and copies it to standard output (your console, or where you redirect it, see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The -r option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files after the archive has been written successfully. The default is to leave log files. The -R option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files before the archive is written. This may reduce chances that the resulting archive is recoverable should it become damaged. The archive may be smaller though. The default is to leave log files. EXIT STATUS
The script exits with status code 0 if everything went well, and nonzero if it encountered trouble. EXAMPLES
o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter > outfile.tar Writes a standard .tar file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar. o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter | gzip -9 -c > outfile.tar.gz Writes a gzipped .tar.gz file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar.gz. o bf_tar `pwd`/mydirectory > outfile.tar Prepend $(pwd)/ or `pwd`/ if you want to specify an absolute path instead of a relative path. NOTES
This script is meant for use with Berkeley DB based bogofilter versions. This script requires a SUSv2 compliant pax utility. This script expects a SUSv2 compliant shell. Solaris systems should have the SUNWxcu4 package installed (when bogofilter is configured) so that /usr/xpg4/bin/sh can be used. 07/23/2007 BF_TAR(1)