Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Output of until to file versus stdout Post 303032331 by stomp on Friday 15th of March 2019 09:51:21 AM
Old 03-15-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xubuntu56
Why does this until false; do history | head -5; done
result in a stdout infinite loop, yet until false; do history | head -5 > hist5; done
only writes it once to file hist5? Furthermore, I can hear the hard drive working on the 2nd command until I end the process, but the history | head -5 is only written once.

It does not write once. It writes continously without break the same 5 lines into hist5 file over and over and generates considerable load at your machine. Since every session has its own history this makes no sense to do.

I'm unsure, but I assume .bash_history file is written at logout. If you want to see another sessions history with this, this will not work.
This User Gave Thanks to stomp For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CTRL+H versus ^? versus BACKSPACE

Hi Gurus! I recently got my shell account (HP UX v11) created by our sysadmin and am having problem deleting with the backspace key. After doing some reading, I believe I need to enter a custom "STTY..." statement in my profile. Can someone please help me with the correct "STTY" sequence... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sending syslog output to stderr or stdout

Is there a way to send the syslog output for a given facility to stderr or stdout? I do not want to use the "tail" command to achieve this, I would like it to go directly to stderr. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dmirza
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Output Woes (stdout?)

Hey everyone. I have been trying a few filtering scripts with both SED and PERL. So far I have both of these versions working to reformat the incoming text stream (from stdin) into the corrent format (it looks good in the terminal), but I don't think that I am doing it right because the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0nn0r
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dual output (stdout and file)

Hello everybody, Is there a more elegant way to make dual output (display on standard output and append to a file) while I'm executing a shell script, besides duplicating the echo command for every string? echo "Message..." > 1 echo "Message..." >> myfile.out Thank you for your time,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AdrianM
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

let curl output to stdout AND save to a file

hello hackers. i have a curl process running as cgi directly pushing stdout to the client. but i want to additionally save that stream to a file at the same time. any directions madly welcome. thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarfake
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating an Array in KSH from output (stdout)

Using Cygwin PDksh - But also have tested it on Linux with same results ---- I have a script that invokes a program/script and returns a string of data (1234 "12 34 56" 6789) and using "set -A" inserting it into an array. script code snipit >> get_array=$(php... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlos25
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting part of output to stdout

Hi, I am trying to execute a command like this: find ./ -name "*.gz" -exec sh -c 'zcat {} | awk -f parse.awk' \; >> output If I want to print the filename, i generally use the -print argument to the find command but when I am redirecting the output to a file, how can I print just the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
2 Replies

8. Programming

Print C file output both in stdout and file

Hello! I want to post a question. does anybody know how to print the output of a C program both in stdout and a file?? thanx (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
8 Replies

9. Red Hat

CPU usage: PS versus TOP - Different output

CPU usage: PS versus TOP - Different output Hi When monitoring a Linux environment with PS command, reported CPU value for a certain process differs, sometimes greatly, from the value seen in TOP. I understood this is not a bug, they report different data. I can't understand the nature... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: liav
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File descriptors, redirecting output, and stdout

Hello all. I've been lurking here for a year or two and finally decided to post. I need some assistance with file descriptors, stdout, and redirecting output. I've searched through a number of very helpful threads here (unfortunately I can't link to any of them yet due to my low post count...),... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael_K
2 Replies
PRUNEHISTORY(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   PRUNEHISTORY(8)

NAME
prunehistory - remove file names from Usenet history file SYNOPSIS
prunehistory [ -f filename ] [ -p ] [ input ] DESCRIPTION
Prunehistory modifies the history(5) text file to ``remove'' a set of filenames from it. The filenames are removed by overwriting them with spaces, so that the size and position of any following entries does not change. Prunehistory reads the named input file, or standard input if no file is given. The input is taken as a set of lines. Blank lines and lines starting with a number sign (``#'') are ignored. All other lines are should consist of a Message-ID followed by zero or more file- names. The Messge-ID is used as the dbz(3) key to get an offset into the text file. If no filenames are mentioned on the input line, then all filenames in the text are ``removed.'' If any filenames are mentioned, they are converted into the history file notation. If they appear in the line for the specified Message-ID then they are removed. Since innd(8) only appends to the text file, prunehistory does not need to have any interaction with it. OPTIONS
-p Prunehistory will normally complain about lines that do not follow the correct format. If the ``-p'' flag is used, then the program will silently print any invalid lines on its standard output. (Blank lines and comment lines are also passed through.) This can be useful when prunehistory is used as a filter for other programs such as reap. -f The default name of the history file is /var/lib/news/history; to specify a different name, use the ``-f'' flag. EXAMPLES
It is a good idea to delete purged entries and rebuild the dbz database every so often by using a script like the following: ctlinnd throttle "Rebuilding history database" cd /var/lib/news awk 'NF > 2 { printf "%s %s %s", $1, $2, $3; for (i = 4; i <= NF; i++) printf " %s", $i; print " "; }' <history >history.n if makehistory -r -f history.n ; then mv history.n history mv history.n.pag history.pag mv history.n.dir history.dir else echo 'Problem rebuilding history; old file not replaced' fi ctlinnd go "Rebuilding history database" Note that this keeps no record of expired articles. HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.9, dated 1996/10/29. SEE ALSO
dbz(3), history(5), innd(8). PRUNEHISTORY(8)